Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $8.62
      Hero:
      $10.97

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:heart: , 9:heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.90) A:club: , K:diamond: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, SB calls $0.80.

Turn: ($2.50) 4:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.50) 3:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $2.50, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.50

- Middle positions is raising first in with Suited Aces generally ok, as long as I appreciate the negative implied odds of hitting an ace?

- Flop cbet is roughly potsize because board is quite drawy and I need to represent strong to push off the draws.

- Turn and river I am essentially playing check/fold to avoid stacking off to stronger aces. Is this correct or can I throw out another value bet somewhere if he checks it down?

- He showed me his hand despite me not calling. Can you guess what he had?
  • 4 replies
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Smileyphil
      Middle positions is raising first in with Suited Aces generally ok
      A9 at middle position is just too weak, It can be easily dominated by a better ace.

Originally posted by Smileyphil
      as long as I appreciate the negative implied odds of hitting an ace??
      What are you planning to hit then, a flash!? ?(

Originally posted by Smileyphil Flop cbet is roughly potsize because board is quite drawy and I need to represent strong to push off the draws.
      As played, you have to bet big to protect you hand, but you will often getting called here betting 60c or 80c in NL10. pepole just don't consider their pot odds usually.

Originally posted by Smileyphil Turn and river I am essentially playing check/fold to avoid stacking off to stronger aces. Is this correct or can I throw out another value bet somewhere if he checks it down?
      So you hit an Ace, you bet the flop and then on a blank turn you are playing C/F? ?( Why did you raise at the first place!? You should bet here. You need to protect your hand. Again if you afraid from being dominated by a better ace you should have not raised it up preflop at first place.
      By checking you also giving him a chance to bluff you with a busted diamond flash draw.
      You brought yourself to a hard spot on the river. You are either bluffed by air or you will run into a monster. You have to fold here, there are so many hands that beat you here.
      To avoid those hard spots just fold this weak ace preflop.
      good luck!
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      turn - b/f !!! maya gave u the best analysis
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I was essentially playing the hand as a steal/cbet with some decent chances to hit. I figured by the turn that I was up against something that might have me crushed so I backed out the way.

Bet/folding seems a bit like walking into a trap to me. So many hands have me completely dominated that I preferred to pot control.

In the past I have played very tight but re-reading the articles suggests that I should steal a little more often.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      A9s from MP3 is meh, it's ok I think - I'd raise it from MP (which is = MP3 in FR) in SH anyday so it's likely fine even though you don't have to do it. Depends on the players left to act.

Flop: OK
      Turn: Bet/fold for value against draws, worse aces..
      River: When you bet on the turn you very very often get a free showdown which you should take (because not much worse is calling you on the river). If he bets... well, then post the hand again :P

Not betting the turn is a mistake since you're giving draws a freecard.