Berkstajger's climb on the mountain of poker - FL 0.5/1

• Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      I decided to start my own blog since some nice round numbers hit me in my poker statistics: reached 200 SP and achieved silver rank, won my first 100$ on internet poker and at the same time reached 150$ BR which is by the book allowing me to start playing 0.25/0.50 FL.

But first (oh, I mean second... :s_smile: ) first. A little backround informations for you to know a little more about me before I start harrasing you with tons of charts. :)

I'm a 25 year-old student from Slovenia, living a normal student's life - studying, doing part time job (sometimes more of them), always having time to attend a good party and enjoying a variety of sport activities. As any everyday normal (credits to Jon La Joie) student I tried several things in the life. From being a competitor and coach in kickboxing to a job in casion. And the latter gave a pretty good 'behind the scene' impression about the gambling. I was a croupier at the roulette table and if I would have gotten a $ everytime someone proposing me I should go practice certain sexual activities... well I would have more than 50$ starting capital. :) However being a witness to many big loses and losers reactions sure helped to be more disciplined when gambling myself and I think those experiences will help at poker too...

I got in touch with poker a long time ago... I was holding poker cards at least 20 ago. From then I played poker occasionaly with friends, at start just for fun, later when we got a hold to some money funds we played for money. That was just straight poker, easy to learn and easy to play. Couple of years ago my friend introduced me to hold'em and at first I wasn't really keen on it. But eventually we switched from straight to hold'em and I got to love it. Even though we had no theoretical backround, games ran quite sharp playing 0.5/1.0 € NL and pots reaching 100€ and more. A friend of mine, who is also a member here (the starter of Slovenia topic :) ) introduced me to pokerstrategy, I signed up, passed the quiz, received strategy and the rest is hist.... erm, going to be history. :tongue:

For anyone not already too tired of my yadayadayada above, here are some more firm data on things I expect from playing online poker.

MONEY
      As I already stated above I'm at the 150 BR at the moment. I started with 50$ and playing 0.02/0.04 FL just to get a hold of the game, interface and the whole action. After a day I went to play 0.05/0.10 as I felt it shouldn't be a problem. Tumbling around 50$ I soon moved to 0.12/.025 even though it was a little against BRM. However it went really well and in about a week I earned nearly 100$ more or less just playing ABC. I already tried 0.25/.050 when there was no useful 0.12/.25 table and the players didn't seem quite different so I reckon it shouldn't be a problem. So at the moment my money goals are:

SHORT TERM: earn extra 100€ or 200€ just to have some extra money in the life. If the last couple of weeks weren't just an extreme upswing this could be doable playing couple of hours...

FUTURE: if I move up a limit or two to 1/2$ maybe I could expect 400 or 500€ per month what would be great.

POKER PLAY
      I really need to start playing and improving NL play because eventually I want to play some fishy live plays where a part of Slovenian communian is making nice money playing with tourists with a lot of money and little poker knowledge. Secondly, SNG's look really fishy but I have to work on my SNG game before proceeding to higher limits (atm playing just 0.50$ turbo tournaments... more of a lottery thingie, but ok ) in which NL knowledge would sure help me.

OTHER
      I think reaching gold rank on pokerstrategy is realistic with grinding 0.25/.50 FL. If I improve my NL knowledge and also start playing there as I intend I suppose gold rank is not a problem in let's say two months. And then... there are many diamonds still waiting to be picked up. :f_grin:

That's it for now. I hope it isn't too boring but I've always had problems to stop writting when I write about things I know (and I can assure I know a thing or two about myself :D ) and at the moment have some couple of A4 pages of text I could write but even those so persistent to read to here would then surely send drop out. :]

I have no charts or anything similar at the moment because I haven't yet installed pokertracker and I'm still in search for some freakin hand converter that would work with Pacific Poker.

Wish you all all the the luck on the tables. Till the next time!
  • 112 replies
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      My first blog update: caught a downswing down from 165$ to 135$ in 24 hours.

I miss having some statistics and hand converter but if I roughly analyze the situation I would say it's 20% my fault, and the other 80 just bad beats. When achieving 165$ I kinda got used to play a bit more loosely than a should and with the variance reminding me it's still there that's the result. I played more tight today but still manage to lose 20$ being completely card dead. One of the best hands was 666 which of course I lost to the straight on the river after playing it agressively. Hmm... could there be any symbolic? :D

Anyway... down to 135$, grinding 0.12/.025 again, should be back in no time. =) The only thing that really bothers me is the lack of players on pacific poker... at the moment I could only find 1 (one!) full 10/10 table and 3 6/6 tables on 0.12/0.25 and ironically - that's good. 5 hours ago there were like two 6/6 tables and that's it and it's kinda hard to play it that way... Oh well, at least I lost less money than I could on 6 tables. :tongue:
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      10 days since I started my blog, so a little update would be in place... erm, if I think better - no update. But first things first.

In first 3 weeks of playing I've been doing really well having at least couple of decent tables to play on. Somehow it seems most of the players on Pacific are playing tournaments and so I was forced to switched from FL 0.12/0.25 (and/or 0.25/0.50) to SnGs. It was literally impossible to play - at 0.12/0.25 there are two 5/6 tables and one 9/10... in the best case!So 20 players max, and at least 1/4 of them regulars. As the situation with FL tables changed, my BR followed...

MONEY
      BR at 136$. Yeah, that's right - I earned 1 dollar in 11 days of play. I am just stumbling around 140$ mark, going from 130$ to 150$. I think the problem is that with the lack of tables and players on FL I started to play SnGs at the same time just to have 4 tables open, because I just couldn't stare at two slow tables. Therefore my primary goal now is just to clear the bonus as soon as possible and get the hell out of Pacific. I will be focusing only on SnG play, mostly MTT because I find them quite fishy. The problem is that with I won't be making so much rake as I was doing on FL FR, so clearing the bonus will take longer. At the moment I am at 33% and was expecting to clear the other 2/3 in one month by moving to 0.25/0.50, but now it will take a while longer.

POKERPLAY
      Due to the horrible going nowhere situation I decided to take a day off and today this blog is the closest I am getting to poker.

FIXED LIMIT
      KNOWN LEAKS:
      - seeing to many flops just because I was bored sitting at one or two tables. | will be fixed as soon as I get the chance to multitable properly
      - calling to far after flop just to see what he has / maybe I hit a backdoor flush (FIXED; I think that upswing loosened me up a bit as I was used to win with not so good cards, now I play more tight)
      - playing good cards more aggresive (NOT FIXED; have to post some hands to evaluation, because sometimes I think I should play more aggresive then just bet/call)

However as I won't be playing much FL until I change pokersite or Pacific attracts a bunch of FL players, those won't be things I will be concentrating on.

SNG
      KNOWN LEAKS:
      - playing too aggresively with avg stack against avg or even big stackers on final table
      - yesterday I came to final table as a chip leader and was so satisfied with myself that played some hands on the other two tables way too loose, thinking - I can afford it, I'm gonna make it top 3 in first table anyway. On the first table I finished 7th as I lost a slowplayed 888 set to a TTT shich the villain caught on the river. But that's poker and I have to keep focus on all games, I think I learned my lesson.

PLANS:
      At the moment I am playing 0.88$ buying 40 player MTTs which I find quite suitable. I need to finish ICM trainer light finish (level 7 at the moment), re-read al bronze articles on SNG and finish reading silver articles. A bit of change of tactics helped me getting on final tables quite easily when before I had problem with not enough chips to survive big blinds as I was playing to tight. I think improving my game more could help me make quite nice ROI.

GENERAL POKER PLAY
      I really want to get a hand on a working piece of software that would help me multitabling and maybe post a graph or two once in a while. =)

OTHER
      Multitabling 0.25/0.50 would get me to gold rank in couple of weeks. With 0.88$ BI MTTs I think I won't be able to reach gold rank, but that's fine because I think that silver section holds a lot of educational material that still helps me to improve my game and players at the limits I play aren't really that advanced that gold rank material would even help me.

Live play - on hold. I don't really have financial founds to compete in rebuy tournaments, maybe I'll try some low buyin freezout if I come accros of one. It's also been a while since we last met with poker buddies, because we lost our poker room, so finding some hole with a table to play poker in is also a part of a short term plan at the moment.

That's it for now. I hope at least someone made it through all this and I hope even more that next time I will be getting back with some better news.

GL all. :f_cool:
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Hey there all after a while. :f_cool:

They say one photo says more than 1000 words, so...

Pokerstrategy:

BR:

BB wins since the start of the tracking:

0.25/0.50 SH hands:

0.25/0.50 SH Showdown/Non-Showdown money won:

Sooo... things are looking nice. After my last post in blog I've became frustrated with the lack of tables so I started playing different kinds of tournaments (MTT, SNG, DoN, Turbo...) to raise my bankroll and get out of boredom. Well, I just managed to get my BR to 100$ and then decided that tournaments are just not for me. In the meantime I achieved silver rank, get a hold on the silver articles where I discovered how wrong I was playing SH tables (I didn't have any choice, only 1 FR table on 0.12/0.25 on Pacific... :f_confused: ). At the same time Pacific started to release hand histories so I was able to post hands into evaluation. This was one of the crucial moments because I was able to post hands in the hands evaluation forums. Great thanks to Primzi, cirith, frzl, bapsy and others who pointed out my leaks. :)

MONEY
      I'm actually on my first attempted goal to earn extra 100€ or 200€ per month... I have 255$ and with 100$ bonus kicking in in 2 weeks things are looking good.

POKERPLAY
      Quite satisfied with it and I thing I'm generally good at 0.25/0.50. Even though my BR allows me playing 0.5/1 at this moment I will wait to build it up a little more so some variance doesn't hit me so drastically. I will also go through all the silver articles again and start inducing gold SH play moves.

Oh, and I've lost 25€ and 30€ in two NL live 'nights'. I've been up about 200€ all together but lost 3/4 of it in 4 big games... 4 river bad beats. But that's just a part of the poker, so I can live with it knowing that I played ok. :)

MID TERM GOALS
      Clear 100$ bonus on Pacific then move to new poker room (probably FullTilt) with about 400$ or more BR. If everything goes ok I should reach BR for 1/2$ quite fast, but I intend to play at least 10.000 hands on 0.5/1 and keep improving my game so I will be prepared for bigger league.

And last but not the least, here are the stats for 0.25/0.50 SH play, I would be glad to hear any comments:

• Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Just bumping a lil'bit, no graphs, no analysis.

It's interesting to see back what I've done and remember how good I felt having 250$ and reaching gold. :f_p:

Well, now I've switched to FTP and - tilted/got varianced/new-interfaced... so after a swing down I swong back up, so with all the bonuses, my BR stands at 550$. It's been a fruity month in live poker, making around 500$ profit, so all in all I'm satisfied. Bought myself new ski boots with that money, just arranged a free ski card for one of the biggest Slovenian ski resorts yesterday, so the future looks bright. :P

Good luck and good night. :)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Nice start in november boosted my BR to 650$... waiting for the variance to hit me in the moment of my ubermensch feelings... :D
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      What I'm first to reply here?? Welcome to group of the cool a.k.a FL guys.

Your SH stats look very good for 0.25/0.50
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Thank you for the welcome in the cool group. :D

Well I left blog (and poker) a bit aside during summer because I was busy doing more fun stuff (being tourist guide for a youth travel agency really is all that good as it sounds :tongue: ). so not much updating from my side neither.

Looks like variance likes me these days. Even though I'm not playing perfectly (according to hand eval. forum...) I seem to be on + side constantly. BR at 700$ at the moment... just too easy, so I'm just enjoying it while it lasts and will buy a big box of cigarettes to survive downswing calmly when it hits. :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Oh wow, didn't notice that you have a blog too. You should update it more frequently :)

Good luck at the tables. Thank god you moved from pacific, lol.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Yeah, I thanked god too to move from there. :D

I like to keep my word, so here's a little:

Apparently poker gods like lazy pokerstrategists who skip poker school, cause I'm running hot - 9,27 bb/100 over 4500 hands. :f_p: BR @ 750$ and it feels like a rocket blast after being @ 350$ just 10 days ago. FLSH variance, you gotta love it. :f_love:

And I also discovered this time of night to be extremely fishy. Just finished 90bb+ session with a tear in my eye - there is not single table with a VP$IP below 40 and average pots are 10 bb+. So sad I have to work tomorrow... :(
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      WOW, you are hot! ... I mean, running hot! :)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      WOW, you are [EDITED FOR THE SAKE OF AVOIDING CONFUSION] running hot! :)
      +1 - for me, the last two months I've run like that for 1.5 - 2k hands then tanked the rest of the month. Ride the wave home fella!!!
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Hehe. :D

I'm gonna take the day off today. Wanted to grind a bit in the afternoon, but just bad tables with 2+ regs on waiting list... no thank you. :tongue:

To comfort my poker spirit I'm off to a live game at friend's house... NL50, few beers, couple of cigarettes and friendly fooling around sounds like a good plan for friday night. I also have to be home early (that's let's say, before 4 am), because I have group tomorrow that I'm taking to Slovenian wine fest called Martinovanje and by previous experiences that can be pretty exhausting... :D

(driving safely - taxi back home already booked :P )
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Lady variance decided to fix my november graph a lil' bit... :f_cool:

But I'm not depressed, because I doubt I can get that amount of crap hands in a row / 1000 anytime soon again... :D

Played a couple of hands with enemaze today and the bastard always hit his set vs my top pair... god damn noob donkeys! :f_ugly: :D
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      lol that was one of the best sessions i ever had, considering it was 15/20 minutes. I got sick cards (yes, every time i raised i had you :D ), made some good plays with airballs and hero bluff catching :P
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Berkstajger, I think it's time for you to install a skype :)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by enemaze
      lol that was one of the best sessions i ever had, considering it was 15/20 minutes. I got sick cards (yes, every time i raised i had you :D ), made some good plays with airballs and hero bluff catching :P
      Then I made some good folds apparently... :s_frown:

What do you have in mind Corey... colludering? :D And I don't have a headset anyway, so skype wouldn't be much useful to me.

I decided to play another session before I go to sleep... just for one hour I said, because I have to get up early. Well, I guess I will be very sleepy tomorrow. :f_eek:

I just couldn't leave:

This was one of the hardest sessions I've played in my life and probably one of the most interesting ones. I was card dead for 50 hands and then all of the sudden I would get premium hands an all 4-5 tables and with all the donkamenting action it was hard to follow at the moments. And then some complete donkey fish that would always hit the flop and keep capping everything no matter what was on the board and on the other hand folding to one cbet. Really... I don't understand what's going on in their heads, but I'm sure curius. At least to know what drug are they on... :D

One of the interesting hands:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $45,15
      MP2:
      $10,90

0,5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:spade: , 8:heart:
      MP2 raises, 4 folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, Hero calls.

Flop: (8,50 SB) Q:diamond: , Q:heart: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5,25 BB) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP2 calls.

River: (7,25 BB) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9,25 BB

Results follow:
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and eights (8s 8h)
      MP2 shows a flush, queen high (5d 8d)
      MP2 wins with a flush, queen high (5d 8d)

58s for the win! :f_cool:

We actually have two donkeys in this hand - MP2 and Hero who was so busy multitabling that he forgot he wasn't the last aggresor and just donked in the flop... :D

Oh, well... overall I'm satisfied to end this with +2,5$, because today I feel it's really not my day, so I think I got the most out of it. It was hard going trough these ups and downs but in the end I managed to finish in the middle, which isn't that bad neither. :tongue:

And now for a 4 hour sleep... good night and good luck. :f_p:
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berkstajger
      What do you have in mind Corey... colludering? :D And I don't have a headset anyway, so skype wouldn't be much useful to me.
      Hehe, of course not colluding :)
      There are many many FL players now on Skype. Ppl are organising FL groups so you always have someone to talk to. It doesn't matter if you have headset or not (I don't have it too), you can still "write text" :) Unless you want to do a sweat session. Then you will need a mic.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Yeah, that's indeed an interesting idea... maybe I will give it a try. Ty for the tip. :)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Omg... just came home from a 6 hours live NL session against complete fish and lost 90 EUR. Freaking unbelievable... :f_ugly: