This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Sit and Go and me

• FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      I have been playing poker for about a year now, and even though I always liked the concept of SnGs I never really played them too much. Perhaps one or two a day on various pokerrooms.

Now I signed up with PS some 3 weeks ago and at first started building my bankroll on cash tables. And it was all going pretty well. Good days, bad days, upswings and downswings. But I managed to boost my bankroll a little past 300 without too much trouble.

I had a little downswing though a couple of nights ago and I noticed that I had gone on a bit of a tilt so I decided to steer clear of the cash tables for a little while. Played a few rookie freerolls and some PP tournaments and read various articles on poker and then decided to play an SnG with a friend. It went good, I finished second behind my friend. And it was a lot of fun.

I decided to play one more, a bit worried about my bankroll not being quite big enough I decided I wouldn't play more if I don't at least break even. After 6 SnG-s I was about 4 dollars up. Not too bad, I thought to myself.

Today I saw the new SnG articles and thought I'd give it another shot today. Because I still kept thinking of the downswing I had on cash tables and decided it still might not be the best idea to go back there. Seeing in the article that a 300 bankroll is about enough to play 3$ buy-in sng-s I decided to try my hand at it.

Now I finished my first ever longer SnG session. I played 19 SnG's with an overall ROI of 55,5%. And the most important thing for myself is that I had fun playing the SnG's and I felt really really comfortable. Sure, I took a few badbeats and flew out 9th or 10th a few times, but no matter how shortstacked I was I always knew that with a little luck from the poker fairy and playing right myself I would have no problems. I am nowhere near as confident in cash tables. Maybe it is because I am still learning the SSS and I am not used to playing it, but right now I don't even think I want to go back at this point.

The further an SnG goes the more confident I feel, which is weird, because I have never felt confident on shorthanded cash tables.

Obviously I don't think that the 25 SnG's are enough to prove a point. And after calculating my ROI and finding out that it was as high I was really surprised and I wouldn't be too surprised if I wasn't able to keep it that high over a stretch of say 200 games.

But right now I am really sure, that at least for the time being, I want to keep playing SnG's. I have way more fun doing that and I feel a lot more confident. So the reason I posted here was to find out if anyone has any tips for a SnG beginner. What poker books or articles should I read and study and how to improve myself further? How big of a skill difference is there in 3$ and 6$ buy-in SnG's for example?

Thanks for your time :)
  • 1 reply
    • HoRRoR
      HoRRoR
      Black
      Guess you talk about PartyPoker

skill difference 3$, 6$ and 11$, there is hardly any difference.

the biggest difference is the rake, so i suppose to move up to 6$ or even 11$ as fast as you can or better to say, as fast as your bankroll allows you to ;)

well and the two articles, sng for beginners and bankroll managment are enough for the beginning i guess

harrington as book is a good advice too

and coaching, which will be introduced soon ;)