[NL2-NL10] AKs folded nut flush

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Might have been still reeling a bit from another AKs (which I posted here) earlier same session, where I lost to AA despite the board bringing AK to go with mine. Reading it now I realise I didn't think through the possible hands he could have, but rather felt that he had the initiative through shoving, and I would have to commit a large portion of my stack with, basically, a draw with only one card to come.

What do people think?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.95
      MP3:
      $2.13

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) 3:diamond: , 7:diamond: , Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, MP3 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.82) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.73 (All-In), Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.82

All the best
      Bryan
  • 5 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I think your bet on the flop was too small. I think the pot is 47c and you bet 20c which is even less than 1/2. Maybe a bet of 35c would have made the MP3 fold his hand.

As played I think it's an OK fold to an overbet where you have 20% chance to make the flush. I wouldn't count the overcards as outs here because he looks to have a set or a 2 pair.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      This play is ok for me... Flop could be 25c but 20c is also big enough for the villian. Correct way of gathering information. If you can keep this play (I mean folding AKs) in the future with a bit more aggresive play, you'll play AKs perfectly. If he was bluffing don't worry about being bluffed, they eventually get caught and pays well :f_biggrin:
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Thanks again for the feedback guys. Again, as happens occasionally I hesitate about what to do and end up doing a kind of compromise. I think that was why my bet was weak. I would normally have just conti bet about 2/3rds the pot to take it down. However, I don't like continuing with AK when I miss the flop, and with the queen there too, which could well have hit my opponent, I probably subconciously slowed up a little.

This only happens very occasionally to me, but when it does I must try to overcome it, and just stick to the plan.

You always have to have a plan lol

All the best
      Bryan
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      When you make different bets on the flop people who are watching you are going to have a read and when you go to showdown they'll see your hand and know how you play bluffs and made hands. That's the reason to be taught to bet more than 1/2 to 3/4 pot as a c-bet. Just bet 1/2 on dry boards and 3/4 on drawy boards. Fold/check-fold to resistance and that's it.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Cbet must be larger (0.3 is good). Not cbetting this flop would be a mistake, it's not that easy to hit, no draws except the flushdraw and you also want some more money in the pot from the flop if you hit on the turn or river.

On the turn c/f or c/c due to odds (remember you need to get the odds here cause you hardly have any implieds with his stack), here it's an easy c/f of course.