[NL2-NL10] 88

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi guys

I will try to talk you through why I did what I did.

Firstly, though on the button, I elected to call as there was a limper already, and hoping to flop a set. If raised I was prepared to 3bet to win/get out.

On the flop I think I could have the best hand, and the bet looks weak. However, I decide to call and set mine and see what develops.

On the turn the bet definitely looks weak, and could be a bluff, but could also be a trap. Nevertheless I decide to re-raise to find out. He calls.

I am a little puzzled now, but decide to see what he does next. I am surprised when he checks to me on the river, but don't feel there is anything to be gained by betting out with my 88, so check behind hoping to just take the pot down.

Am a little surprised to see he had a king. Can only assume my re-raise led him to think I also had one, and he didn't bet out as he feared his kicker wouldn't play.

Would you guys have done things diffreent at any stage ? Did I do anything terribly wrong?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $4.00
      UTG2:
      $0.57
      Hero:
      $4.82

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8:diamond: , 8:club:
      UTG2 calls $0.05, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.05, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.17) 9:spade: , 2:club: , 4:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.27) K:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.15, UTG2 calls $0.10.

River: ($0.57) 4:heart: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.57

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, eights and fours (8d 8c)
      UTG2 shows two pairs, kings and fours (5s Ks)

UTG2 wins with two pairs, kings and fours (5s Ks)

All the best
      Bryan
  • 4 replies
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      You're too passive. This way you have no idea where your pocket 8s standing. I personally always (re)raise with 66+ on button. So here what I would do if I were you.

Preflop: Bet 4xBB.
      Flop: Bet just over 1/2 of the pot. If someone donks, raise him 3xHis donk bet.
      Turn: See what your opponent does. If he bets big then you're sure he has something safe FOLD.

If he donks again, raise 1/2 pot. (This will provide you a free showdown in most cases)

River: Check/call or Check/Fold depends on the betsize.

Cheers.

Note: Privet don't forget ! You get paid, when you are AggresivE and don't do any fancy moves in microlimits.

Just saw that this is a FR game so maybe my play might be wrong, I'm a SH player.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Should've raised pre-flop. Calling for set value is done when you have either a raise, or two or more limpers.
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback guys. With hinsight, I agree I should have raised pre-flop. In fact it was a close decision at the time. I think you are right that raising up front lets you find out where you are better, and can often make following decisions easier.

Thanks again
      Bryan
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      You have a position, UTG limp is sign of weakness. I would isolate him. So raise preflop.

Postflop is fine.