$2.11
      BU:
      $2.00
      SB(Hero):
      $1.98
      BB:
      $1.05

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      3 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.1, BB calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.20) 3, 6, 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.4, Hero raises to $0.6, BB raises to $0.8, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.80) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15.

River: ($2.10) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.10.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, aces full of threes (A A)
      BB shows four of a kind, threes (3 3)
      BB wins with four of a kind, threes (3 3).

Did I play this hand correctly?

No way would I have imagined he had pocket 3s.

Thanks for any advice.
      Michael
  • 5 replies
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      When you have hands such as aces kings queens w/e the idea is you make players pay for their flops, limp min re-raising from any position gives your opponents a cheap chance to hit whatever they want. My advice is to either start raising 4x+1 for limpers pre flop, or to watch all of the bronze NL FR videos, they're extremely informative. PS, dont get annoyed when you raise 4x, 5x even 6x BB and people fold, stating you never get paid off etc, at these limits I wouldnt have been surprised if he shoved pre flop to a big raise, put it that way :) All the best at the tables, regards. Paul.

EDIT: wow did not see the flop play either ¬_¬ The best way you can improve your game is to read the articles provided and watch the videos. Then implement what you learn at the tables, first of all I'd get accustomed to pre flop raising, and continuation betting. Once you're comfortable, start winning at micro stakes! :D
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Lol you completed SB after he raised you you minireraised :D Yes you played that hand pretty bad preflop!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello michaelqian,

First of all its good to see you posting hands. Its an important step in the right direction. You posted this one in the wrong forum though - as the hand evaluation board is here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387

Its not a problem though since this post is about a lot more than just the hand in question. It is more about your readiness for playing with a big stack.

Aces are the best starting hand - they are not however a guarantee to win the hand. After a flop they are just a pair - and can be beaten by two pair, flushes, straights, trips, sets, you name it. That is why you want to PROTECT your hand and make your opponents pay to see the flop. Completing the SB does not accomplish this, and after he raises, neither does min-raising him (since he always gets perfect odds to call).

The same goes for the flop - the two of you go into a min-raising battle. This is nearly in all instances bad play - since min-raises don't protect your hand, don't give value, don't generate fold equity and unless you also start minraising your total bluffs you become quite predictable.

Read the bronze articles on odds & outs and BSS play: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/

You need to think more about why you play the way and adopt a "real" approach.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      thanks for your advice.

My thinking was that before the flop, there were only 2 players left, if I made a big raise, he may have folded. I know now this is incorrect reasoning.

After flop, with pocket aces, if I don't hit anything, would the sensible thing be to fold to a big raise?

Thanks a lot
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      thanks for your advice.

My thinking was that before the flop, there were only 2 players left, if I made a big raise, he may have folded. I know now this is incorrect reasoning.

After flop, with pocket aces, if I don't hit anything, would the sensible thing be to fold to a big raise?

Thanks a lot
      It really depends on the board and pre-flop action and on your opponent.... every time you have AA or KK it plays differently.