Down since started playing SSS.

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

I've recently decided to play SSS NL50 instead of SnGs in order ot build my BR up. And I wish I never fucking did it! I've been down since i switched and at the moment i'm down 11BI over 5k hands. Only thing offsetting this downswing is $60 bonus i got so far while sssing for my first deposit. This is a fucking BR burn and nothing else!!! I do understand that variance is a bitch and my pocket aces resulted in -1BI over these 5k hands, but that's surely not the only reason for such a downswing! Because I've decided to give SSS a proper try - i'll give a proper go and play at least about 20k hands, but its not looking good so far and i doubt that its going to improve.

So far i've concluded that sss is profitable when having luck and playing at a weak table. WOW! Surprisingly, you get the same results playing ANY strategy as long as you're still lucky and surrounded by fish.

Please, someone, tell me that fucking SSS CAN BE PROFITABLE, cause I don't see the point in sitting and looking at your BR being slowly eaten by blinds, while double-ups only partially offset opponent's suckouts.

Fuck SSS. On tilt again, but unlike sng tilt, sss tilt just feels much more stupid.
  • 19 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      well SSS can be profitable (if it wasn't there would be no nl5k shortstackers)

but if you are doing good on sit&go's I don't see a reason to change to sss , they're both swingy and stuff but you should be able to build a good bankroll with both of them. btw 11 buyins and 5k isn't that ugly, it can get worse than that.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      SSS is a good way to clear the bonus as long as I'm playing at least break-even, which wasn't happening. I guess I'll just calm down, play a few sngs and then come back to it and quit as soon as I clear the bonus and don't make too many losses=)

IF 11BI is fine then I guess i overreacted a bit=)

Ready to fish. :s_cool:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      11BI is not a downswing. It's completely normal variance.

When you get over 20BI down then you can start posting about it here.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey mChavez,

I play about 3K hands daily, and let me tell you, -11BI is nothing. I constantly get variances of nearly 20 BI up and down (my worst downswing reached 45BI, that is rare though). Just make sure you are playing as best you can and it will even out. Even 20K hands is not so much for getting rid of variance, but it might be enough =D.

Good luck!
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Damn! Shoud've not even started SSS. didn't know that its THAT swingy =(

UPDATE: Here we go! -20 BI and I don't have a bankroll for NL50 any more. Hello NL25!

Gay.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mChavez
      Please, someone, tell me that fucking SSS CAN BE PROFITABLE

Here's my graph for the SSS on the NL25 on PokerStars. 4,2 big blinds per 100 hands. It can be profitable. OK?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Damn! Shoud've not even started SSS. didn't know that its THAT swingy =(
      In mathematical terms it is the least swingy of all forms of no-limit poker. You'd have to play a very strong game of full ring limit to get less swings.

Also, you absolutely have to use a HUD and adjust to your opponents if you are going to play short on an NL50 table. The regs know your basic strategy and will eat you up if you just play by the basic charts.

(For some reason I've found NL100 much easier than NL50 on most sites ... go figure.)
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Well. I must be doind something wrong then! But what????? I'm following the bloody articles!!! =(

• tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Well. I must be doind something wrong then! But what????? I'm following the bloody articles!!! =(
      As I alluded to in my last post ... the articles are for NL10 not NL50. They assume by the time you've gotten to NL50 you have hundreds of thousands of SS hands under your belt.

You absolutely have to pay attention to your opponents at that level. Just playing by the articles is not enough. (You are basically trying to start at the highest levels of SS with zero experience.)
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      I was using hud, but yeah, i guess you're right. Need to adjust more. I guess i'll just switch back to sngs=) less stress and more profit
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      It is true that you it's better to play a more advanced SSS in NL50, but still, that doesn't justify your losses. If you are following the charts correctly, you are probably on a downswing. But take the opportunity to work on your game in NL25 and move to NL50 with a HUD a more advanced concept of the strategy.

Regarding BRM, I use 75BI, rather than the 30 suggested by the articles, it avoids a lot of stress when facing variance.

And regarding SSS being profitable or not, it is profitable, there are many successful players who reached NL1K and beyond with SSS.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      In mathematical terms it is the least swingy of all forms of no-limit poker. You'd have to play a very strong game of full ring limit to get less swings.
      I tend to disagree. I do believe that playing fullstack is much less variance dependent than the short stack. I haven't played many hands with the BSS but when I play like 20k I am going to compare them from my experience.

I mean with the SSS your goal is to go allin preflop if possible. In theory you play only the very strong hands against the oponent's range. But even on the BU the SSS range is ahead in like 61% vs a range of 20% vpip. And it is completely possible that you go in like 7 or 8 cases and you lose them all. I don't think it is this swingy with the BSS but that's just me maybe?

If I am completely wrong, please correct me.
    • Haficek77
      Haficek77
      Bronze
      cash are rollercoasters, but earns big amount of points.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I believe that strictly adhering to the SHC would make SSS profitable, especially at NL50. What I think is that you're not experienced with SSS and that you overplay certain hands since you already know a lot about SnGs and already have access to the wisdom of the gold section. I think you have to start learning SSS from the beginning.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      NL50? Sure! Heres my graph since I changed my nickname on Party (1 or 2 hands are Fullstacked as I sometimes like to rebuy to max after doubling up);

If you are having problems, I recommend firstly table selecting stringently and Making Notes as much as possible!. You can also read some of the articles again. Here are what I think to be the most important articles;

Continuation Bets Especially Pay attention to Cbet Size, and required success rate in relation to villain fold2cbet%. There are villains out there who just DON'T fold to cbets. Keep this in mind.

What hands should you 3bet? Well, that depends on the Opponent!

Steals and Resteals! Very important.

And of course; The Isolation Raise!
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      too much stress for me. I quit SSS. Thanks for the replies though!
    • hongchang
      hongchang
      Bronze
      hey daphunk, how do u select good tables for SSS? thanks! anyway, i played on pokerstars NL50, and my graph is nothing like urs. ( i lost 10 BIs in 3k hands)
    • bordzter
      bordzter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      NL50? Sure! Heres my graph since I changed my nickname on Party (1 or 2 hands are Fullstacked as I sometimes like to rebuy to max after doubling up);

If you are having problems, I recommend firstly table selecting stringently and Making Notes as much as possible!. You can also read some of the articles again. Here are what I think to be the most important articles;

Continuation Bets Especially Pay attention to Cbet Size, and required success rate in relation to villain fold2cbet%. There are villains out there who just DON'T fold to cbets. Keep this in mind.

What hands should you 3bet? Well, that depends on the Opponent!

Steals and Resteals! Very important.

And of course; The Isolation Raise!

how did you change you nick at partypoker??? didnt know it was even possible
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      after moving to full tilt and being an experienced winning SSS player i lost until i successfully adjusted to the differences in play style. my graph now looks like this...

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/sssonfulltilt.jpg/

it is normal enough to go 8 - 10 stacks down in a days play over 1k hands but i normally stick with it and dont tilt and i almost always recover to make a profit