What limit using SSS do you incorperate advanced play?

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      So what limit do you start to use more than just the starting hands chart?

I'm interested cos I was playing NL50 the other day and still there are people there that don't understand some of the more basic plays in poker...

Obviously this is based around SSS. ;)
  • 9 replies
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      im playing on cake and basic SSS at NL100 works for me ^^
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      What do you mean by advanced play?

Trying to adjust the reraises according to people's PFR value? NL25.

Re-steals? At the NL25.

Looser than the charts suggest when appropriate? NL25.

Watching the HUD values and making decisions vs the opponent based on the values? NL25.

Playing out of position? NL50 IMO.

Keep playing after doubling up? NL50 IMO.

All in all I believe NL25 is/should be the training ground for the SSS player where he incorporates new tricks and can learn them for cheap. The NL50 is more unforgiving cause more people have a clue what to do and when to do it so it maybe not the best place for hardcore learning.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      What do you mean by advanced play?

Trying to adjust the reraises according to people's PFR value? NL25.

Re-steals? At the NL25.

Looser than the charts suggest when appropriate? NL25.

Watching the HUD values and making decisions vs the opponent based on the values? NL25.

Playing out of position? NL50 IMO.

Keep playing after doubling up? NL50 IMO.

All in all I believe NL25 is/should be the training ground for the SSS player where he incorporates new tricks and can learn them for cheap. The NL50 is more unforgiving cause more people have a clue what to do and when to do it so it maybe not the best place for hardcore learning.

Nice round-up, that's pretty much what I was doing. Just wanted to see if others thought the same.

Kinda void now though, I just binned the SSS. :D
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      I just binned the SSS. :D
      Oh, crap. Some huge downswing or what? Gotta check your blog I guess.

Gl hf!
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      don't think you can generalize this though. it's all about the site you play at

don't think basic sss would be fine on full tilt's NL50 +, but you can easily play on cake or bwin just using the basics and even without a hud and beat the limits up to NL100 if you're good at it and can adapt
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I'm sorry, but I completely disagree that NL25 should be the training ground for an SSS player for your given reason.

"The NL50 is more unforgiving cause more people have a clue what to do and when to do it"

This is exactly WHY you should try and do your learning on this limit rather than NL25 which is just incredibly fishy.

Of course, you need a good Bankroll to try out new things, but I think NL50 is the lowest limit you can try and learn "new things" on. If you go any lower its just ridiculous. The amount of money you are playing is just too small.

Personally, I think NL50 is an excellent place to take BSS to the next step and put in some time studying/ grinding. NL25 is just fish central :D
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Depends which site you play.

Stars is full of decent players across the lower limits as well as the higher ones.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      I'm sorry, but I completely disagree that NL25 should be the training ground for an SSS player for your given reason.

"The NL50 is more unforgiving cause more people have a clue what to do and when to do it"

This is exactly WHY you should try and do your learning on this limit rather than NL25 which is just incredibly fishy.

Of course, you need a good Bankroll to try out new things, but I think NL50 is the lowest limit you can try and learn "new things" on. If you go any lower its just ridiculous. The amount of money you are playing is just too small.

Personally, I think NL50 is an excellent place to take BSS to the next step and put in some time studying/ grinding. NL25 is just fish central :D
      yeah, DaPhunk, I played like 14k hands with the SSS on stars NL25 and I secured a bankroll for the NL50 (from $120 initially) and there were tons of people with stats like 14/11 vpip/pfr and 2 and high AF. It's fishy for sure but there were some decent and tagish players and without table selection and a hud I would've grinded for much longer.

It really depends on the site I guess. I read stuff like how on Cake poker you can play the basic SSS without stats and still make profit on the NL100 and this in not possible in stars IMO. I sometimes observe a few tables and they do know what's going on and how to react to stuff.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I read stuff like how on Cake poker you can play the basic SSS without stats and still make profit on the NL100
      I gotta get myself over to Cake pronto then! By the way, I like your sig.