Volrath's 3 month journey to ?? (NL blog)

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      |

VOLRATH'S BLOG (No Limit)

Three months of hardcore playing!

INTRODUCTION

Hello everybody!. I’ve decided to start this blog because I’m planning to play a lot of poker during the next three months, probably around 5-6hs or more of play per day + some hours of study and reviewing too, starting from today May 24 and ending when I resume classes which is in mid-August. I hope this blog is a way to keep me motivated and away from tilting (wouldn’t like to go broke and fail publicly :P ). The reason to do this, well I want to give poker a shot in my life and I have more or less nothing planned to do until I resume classes. So, this blog initially goes as a 3 month project, I’ll post results and interesting hands every Wednesday, and I’ll do a week review every Sunday, posting graphs, stats, etc. I hope you enjoy reading!

ABOUT ME, AND MY FIRST STEPS IN POKER

I’m 19 years old, I’m currently studying computer engineering and also considering starting with math next year. So well, I registered here at August 08, don’t actually remember how I found this site (don’t remember someone telling me about it) but I got here and received the $50 starting capital at Pokerstars.

At that time, I had just quitted the game I played for about 5 years (2 in serious mode), a card game called Magic: the Gathering, I had some success on that game and will prob. write about it with more detail in another post (my nickname is mtg related btw). I was also just starting university and didn’t play or wanted to play poker so much, so I played very few hands at 2008. Then in January of this year, I started playing more, with SSS I reached $300, then I had some bad time at NL25 (don’t think it was a downswing, more like bad play of my part) and combined with tilting and bad BR management brought my BR back to $50 =/.

So I took a long break and started playing again in about April when I won a 180 players tournament at stars (just luck, I don’t even have the ICM trainer :P ) and my BR was enough to start at NL5 BSS. So I did it, and things are going well so far, I’m currently playing NL10 FR BSS and SSS NL25 (to clear the $160 instant cash bonus) at stars and NL20 SH BSS at Mansion (Got 2nd starting capital there and been doing well).

So well, I’ll post more details later, I’m going to finish this post with my goals and current BR:

GOALS

:diamond: Play at least 250k hands, about 80k hands/month (Done!)

:diamond: Reach diamond status at pokerstrategy (Reached Platinum on July/Aug.)

:diamond: Read all the NL articles of pokerstrategy (Done!)

:diamond: Watch at least 50 BSS NL videos up to NL25(Done!)

:diamond: Watch at least 25 BSS NL videos of NL50 - NL100
      [(Done!)

:diamond: Deposit $ at poker sites and clear all the bonus I can:

$50 Bonus at Stars (Cleared!)

$600 Bonus at Mansion(Cleared most of it!)

:diamond: Reach the bankroll to play BSS NL100 (w 30 BI)(Only reached about $1k)

And well the overall goal for this summer is to improve my game as much as I can, by reviewing my sessions, posting hands, reading, studying, watching videos and attending to coachings. Hopefully by the time I enter to university in mid-August I become a regular of NL100 (or at least of NL50).

Thank you for reading! Bye :)
  • 26 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      good luck with your hardcore grind :)
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello,

After ~1 day of playing, I'm doing rly bad actually, started the blog on a downswing it seems :( .. lets see if it gets better until wednesday where I post graphs, etc..

Ok here is how a normal poker day looks for me:

(Timezone is ET)

8.30 - 10.00 Wake up, breakfast, some exercise and shower.
      10:00 - 11:30 First session of poker in mansion.
      11.30 - 12:30 Break for studying and watching videos.
      12:30 - 14:00 Play again on Mansion.
      14:00 - 15:00 Break for lunch and some studying too.
      15:00 - 16:00 Last session on Mansion.
      16:00 - 17:00 Relax and do something non poker related..
      17:00 - 19:30 First session in Stars.
      19:30 - 20:30 Dinner and studying.
      20:30 untill I feel like it. Play some on Stars, and review the whole day.

Hehe, that's a lot of poker =) . I'm hoping to improve my game and acomplish my goals.

EDIT: Not playing SSS anymore.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Ok as I said I'm not doing well... on the monday happy hour at mansion I actually lost a lot =/. Here is the graph so far:

I'd post interesting hands, BUT I don't know how to convert them from HEM to paste on the forums... :( , would appreciate if someone helps me..

And, I think I won't be playing SSS again after this week.. I will have plenty of time to clear bonuses and I can do that playing BSS only. I'd still have to play some SSS this week (hope I don't have to) if I see I'm far from clearing the bonuses for May playing big stack...

But anyway, I'm surprisingly not sad nor I feel I have tilted, I know there's a lot more to come, and starting down is bad, but well.. I have lot of time and hands to recover (also I hope to recover a lot during weekend)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      from the holdem manager hand replayer --> click on hand history --> click on 2+2 (at the top right of the pop up that appears there) ---> paste
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS HAND:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($15.37)
      Hero ($33.17)
      UTG ($4)
      CO ($17.77)
      BTN ($34.29)

Dealt to Hero A:club: A:heart:

UTG raises to $4, fold, BTN calls $4, fold, Hero raises to $33.17, BTN calls $29.17,

FLOP ($70.44) 6:heart: 2:heart: Q:spade:

TURN ($70.44) 6:heart: 2:heart: Q:spade: 3:diamond:

RIVER ($70.44) 6:heart: 2:heart: Q:spade: 3:diamond: 3:club:

UTG shows K:spade: J:club:
      (Flop 2.3%, Turn 0.0%)

BTN shows K:heart: 3:heart:
      (Flop 32.7%, Turn 28.6%)

Hero shows A:club: A:heart:
      (Flop 65.0%, Turn 71.4%)

BTN wins $69.44

I'm taking a break (has to be short, though) to avoid tilting... and wow WTF were these two guys thinking??

(PD: Thx alejandrosh for ur help about posting hands, I have a lot to post on the forums)

Edit: Spelling
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      I couldn't update yesterday, because my internet didn't work on the weekend, and I couldn't play poker at all, so I couldn't clear the bonuses I had =/.

I've also decided to stop playing SSS at all, since I want to get better and better at BSS and don't have much bonuses to clear. And for the month of June I'm going to focus more on studying and learning, July will be more play oriented I hope.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hey Volrath,

It's nice to have you with us in NL10. We will do our best helping you improving you game. Good Luck!

p.s.

-Do you play both FR and SH?
      - K3, ho man... note that fish down. :f_cool:
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello!

I had many issues recently and had to withdraw most of my BR (wasn't that much anyway), and had to start again from like $100 that I had left on stars. So well, played about 15k hands of BSS NL5 this week, and today I decided to move up to NL10, so far going well. I expect to reach 10k FPP claim the $160 bouns and deposit those $300 on mansion to play nl20 and claim the 1st deposit bonus.

And maya1984, yeah I used to play both (SH on mansion, FR on stars). Mostly because I found mansion FR to be full of SSS and SH very fishy. On stars there are so many tables that you can play anything I think, but well I'm sticking to FR now since I can play more tables.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Ok now I'm starting (and hope) to do this every week, here is my progression:

BANKROLL: $ 282.66

After going back to ~$100, I'm doing ok in my first week I think :)

Here is a funny hand:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($2.40)
      BB ($6.55)
      UTG ($10.60)
      UTG+1 ($2.15)
      MP1 ($9)
      Hero (MP2) ($10.45)
      CO ($1.50)
      Button ($15.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero bets $0.50, 4 folds, MP1 calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.15) 2, 3, 10 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.15) A (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.30, MP1 calls $1.30

River: ($4.75) 4 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $6.70 (All-In), Hero calls $6.70

Total pot: $18.15

Results:
      MP1 had 5, 5 (straight flush, five high).
      Hero had K, A (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: Hero won $18.15

I thought he could be doing that with a Q:heart: , didn't actually realize there was a straight flush there =/.. anyway NH for him I'm never folding the nut flush in an unpaired board.

And I have just finished my last session of the day, I really saw a lot of aces (althought I had no action :( ), and I wanted to see how many of them were:

Like wow, 5 aces on 15 minutes (only playing 9 tables) too bad they didn't pay.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Performance of last week:

I am showing the All in EV, because I had a black saturday =/ ... [B]-$80.90[/B] for the day, but with an EV of [B]+$9.46 [/B], countless badbeats and suckouts =/

But well, it was a good week overall, I claimed the $160 bonus and this week I'll be playing NL20 at mansion, here is current bankroll:

BANKROLL: $563
      ($405 at mansion, $158 at Stars)

It's probably a little low to start with NL20, but well I've played the limit before and feel comfortable with it, so I think 20 BIs are enough to start again =)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey.
      Nice blog.
      You have some cool goal.
      Goodluck with them all.
      Looking forwards to having a session with you.
    • HannesNL
      HannesNL
      Bronze
      Nice dude, being platinum while playing NL20, sick sick sick :D
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

@kyle: Nice sessions we had =) , I haven't logged again on skype cause I've been really busy at NL20.
      @timkores: Yeah, I grind a lot =)

This week was a very bad one, rough start on NL20. I don't think I'm playing THAT bad to be almost 8 BI's down, but well now I'm posting more hands than ever and hope to improve my results soon.

MANSION:

Not too much to say for NL10 FR on stars other than now I can grind on 13 tables, but well ofc I played less hands this week because I'm busy with NL20.

STARS:

BANKROLL: $ 492.29
      (red color because its a week of losses :( , and it should be lower but I have like +$30 from bonus)

Today I had the first fish ever deserving to be on my buddy list :] . It was on Mansion ofc, and everything started with this hand:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($21.66)
      UTG ($52.09)
      MP ($22.71)
      CO ($22.32)
      Button ($32.38)
      SB ($19.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J
      4 folds, SB bets $0.50, Hero raises $1.80, SB calls $1.40

Flop: ($4) 7, 4, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB calls $2

Turn: ($8) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($8) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $4, Hero calls $4

Total pot: $16

Results:
      SB had 10, Q (two pair, Queens and fours).
      Hero had J, J (two pair, Jacks and fours).
      Outcome: SB won $15.20

How come he calls 3bet OOP with TQo??? And he gets rewarded for it and hits TP... this was just wow (this hand is posted on the forums, I'm expecting to see if I made a mistake by calling the river). So well, note on him, let's keep playing.

Second hand of the day vs same villain: (On another table)

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($20)
      UTG ($34.92)
      MP ($20)
      CO ($21.18)
      Button ($35.02)
      Hero (SB) ($19.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K
      UTG bets $0.60, 3 folds, Hero raises $2.40, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.90

Flop: ($5.20) 9, 4, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, UTG calls $2.60

Turn: ($10.40) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $7, UTG raises $14, Hero calls $7 (All-In)

River: ($38.40) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $38.40

Results:
      Hero had K, K (one pair, Kings).
      UTG had J, 9 (two pair, Jacks and nines).
      Outcome: UTG won $37.40

This time he is open raising from UTG, but anyway I had the note of the QT hand, so I 3bet x4 here. He (unsurprisingly) just calls.

On the flop I cbet as usual, he just calls again.

On the turn I bet again, he raises and I insta-call.

He shows J9!! wtf? how is he calling that PF?, and call again with only TPJK and again being rewarded for his mistakes and hit 2 pair on turn...

Note added for villain: Calls EVERY 3bet, 3bet only for value against him.

Then I entered on tilt against him and made a really bad call OOP:

UTG ($22.91)
      MP ($53.12)
      CO ($19.70)
      Button ($20.88)
      SB ($34.67)
      Hero (BB) ($20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 8
      1 fold, MP bets $0.60, CO calls $0.60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.90) 9, 5, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($3.90) 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($3.90) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.95, MP raises $6, Hero calls $4.05

Total pot: $15.90

Results:
      Hero had K, 8 (flush, King high).
      MP had A, K (high card, Ace).
      Outcome: Hero won $15.11

But yeah, bad play gets rewarded and this time I win! so lolish... had the river been a non hearth I'd be happy to stick it in with my flush, but with the 4th hearth showing up I just called his river raise and thought "I'll insta turn off my computer if he has the A" (yeah I have to do that and stop playing instantly if I feel I'm entering in serious tilt, i don't even wait for the blinds no matter how many tables I'm playing. To avoid playing on tilt is still way +EV that waiting for the blinds anyway :P )

Note on villain: I Erased everything I had (had also notes from previous sessions) and typed FISH, NEVER FOLDS TO 3BET, MAKES BLUFF RAISES, ONLY BET FOR VALUE AGAINST HIM.

So well that's it, 5 minutes later he leaved all tables (maybe he realized I was chasing him and I was on 4/5 tables he was playing on? xD ). Hope to see him again, he probably won't remember me :s_cool:
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hey Volrath89,
      Regarding the hands:
      QT: We usually beat in the spot but sometimes we can make the call, mainly for info.
      KK: you definitely need to bet bigger on that drawy flop.

btw do you get rackback at MANSION?
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hey maya, no there's no direct rakeback at mansion, but I'm clearing 1st deposit bonus and its cleared in steps of $10 so its kinda a rakeback.

You still can change their loyalty points (MCP) for cash bonuses, I think I'm going to try and make enough to claim the $1k cash this year.

Regarding this week, I definitely have given up for now on NL20 SH at mansion. I just can't continue playing NL20 if I want to follow proper BRM, so now I have all my money on stars and I'll be playing FR there untill I have enough to deposit and play according to BR on mansion again. But this time probably only FR, clear the first deposit bonus, try to get enough MCP points and then I think I'll leave that room, I'm doing too good at stars and the SW of stars is very good too :)

Graphs are not much interesting, kinda like last week, loses at mansion, slightly more winning at stars:

Bankroll: $543.06

And now I'm also more into the Spanish community since there are more coachings at the limits and room I'm gonna play, so well I'm still browsing watching and attending coachings from both communities.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      [quote] GOALS

:diamond: Play at least 250k hands, about 80k hands/month (115k/250k)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 46%

:diamond: Reach diamond status at pokerstrategy (2578/7500 SP)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 34%

:diamond: Read all the NL articles of pokerstrategy (60/75)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 80%

:diamond: Watch at least 50 BSS NL videos up to NL25(Done!)

:diamond: Watch at least 25 BSS NL videos of NL50 - NL100 (0/25)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 0%

:diamond: Deposit $ at poker sites and clear all the bonus I can:

[I]$50 Bonus at Stars (Cleared!)

$600 Bonus at Mansion (10k/60k MCP)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 17%

:diamond: Reach the bankroll to play BSS NL100 (w 30 BI) ($543/$3k)
      |||||||||||||||||||| 18%[/quote]
      Nice layout.

The Best of Luck Volrath89! ;)
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Who said FR wasn't swingy?

Bankroll: 738.96

I hope I keep running well this week, so I can split my BR again and try to clear the bonus at mansion (still have like $500 left =/ )

This was a kinda interesting hand since some users (at the spanish comunity) said it was a "crazy" move against an unknown and the judge said I should've just called turn and reevaluate river, here is the hand:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($6.60)
      CO ($15.55)
      Button ($5.95)
      SB ($5.90)
      BB ($15.25)
      Hero (UTG) ($35.20)
      UTG+1 ($25.85)
      MP1 ($18.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, K
      Hero bets $1, 1 fold, MP1 calls $1, 5 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 6, 4, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.35) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, MP1 raises $6.25, Hero raises $29.70 (All-In), MP1 calls $9.30 (All-In)

Total pot: $36.45

But I thought I didn't have "only" the flushdraw but also counted with some outs from the overcards, as vs 88-JJ I had 15 outs and by pusing I generate some FE, so well.. that's why I posted the hand, still waiting for the judge to give a second opinion since I replied I didn't like much calling turn :P What do you think?
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      the problem is that overpairs are not as likely as stronger hands like 2 pair+FD or any 5x combo making a straight.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      This week was v. good:

Bankroll: $ 1.157,05

So now I am spliting my bankroll into stars-mansion and hope to finish clearing the 1st deposit bonus at mansion!

Now I am not sure about what I read on ps articles about SH tables attracting more fishes, since I actually found SH with a lot less fish traffic than FR (and my results also talk in favor of FR). Also the FR regulars are very bad compared to the SH regs. so well lets hope things keep going well and I can give a shot at NL50 soon :) (NL 50 FR of course :s_love: )