I think I finally found my faults of play.

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Making hero calls, to find I'm beat.
      Calling pre-flop for set value, but playing on without a set.
      Making some weird re-raises against opponents who hit on the board, and hit hard..

Over all I think I've found the real reasons that I've been losing money, so over the next few days I shall fix this problem, and hopefully report back on my progress!

I've decided that I'd like to become the best player that I can. I've watched videos and read articles, one thing I noticed though; was that people in higher stakes play a lot differently. Pre-flop they will raise with AK, flop will be all rags, and they'll get re-raised on their continuation bet; only to re-raise the villian. Why is this done?

What else can I do to improve my play?
  • 4 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      I noticed though; was that people in higher stakes play a lot differently. Pre-flop they will raise with AK, flop will be all rags, and they'll get re-raised on their continuation bet; only to re-raise the villian. Why is this done?
      To represent a certain hand when their reads/stats tell them it's OK to do so. Also on higher limits people generally respect raises and re-raises. You know that a reraise represents much strength or a bluff so by re-raising the re-raiser you maybe represent a hand like top set or a straight or some huge draw when you have only 2 overcards and not even 6 clean outs. That's my two cents.

What can you do to improve? Post hands for evaluation. That's the most valuable thing here. You receive advice from good players for free. I've now started learning the BSS and after 1000 hands I am going to post like 7 or 8 tonight for evaluation.

Also stick to the BRM. It's so crucial yet I people can't get it. I can't stress it enough.

Watch for tilt and self-control. Don't play J8s only because you saw Gus Hansen do it and take some big pot. When the calling station starts to raise - for fuck's sake - fold your pair, it's no good!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze

What else can I do to improve my play?
      You can do what I did, its in my blog.

*points to signature*
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      I noticed though; was that people in higher stakes play a lot differently. Pre-flop they will raise with AK, flop will be all rags, and they'll get re-raised on their continuation bet; only to re-raise the villian. Why is this done?
      To represent a certain hand when their reads/stats tell them it's OK to do so. Also on higher limits people generally respect raises and re-raises. You know that a reraise represents much strength or a bluff so by re-raising the re-raiser you maybe represent a hand like top set or a straight or some huge draw when you have only 2 overcards and not even 6 clean outs. That's my two cents.

What can you do to improve? Post hands for evaluation. That's the most valuable thing here. You receive advice from good players for free. I've now started learning the BSS and after 1000 hands I am going to post like 7 or 8 tonight for evaluation.

Also stick to the BRM. It's so crucial yet I people can't get it. I can't stress it enough.

Watch for tilt and self-control. Don't play J8s only because you saw Gus Hansen do it and take some big pot. When the calling station starts to raise - for fuck's sake - fold your pair, it's no good!

So by re-raising a certain villain who plays back at certain c-bets you can pick up some pots?
      Ido stick to BRM with the 25+ BI rule. It's hard moving down limits though because you have to adapt and money comes slower.

I never play things like K9s or J8s. I don't even steal raise with these hands. I play hands only when they're playable.
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      Highstakes is a completely different game you shouldn't worry about for a long time. Also remember that whenever you watch televised poker there are so many hands they cut out because they weren't that interesting, so really don't rely on tv poker. Using software like Elephant, PT3 or Holdemmanager is very important for the improvement of your game as it allows you to save, mark and analyze the hands you've played and if you have gotten hold of a difficult hand you can always post it in the hand evaluation thread =)