how to stop thinking about Poker?!!

• aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Well, its getting more sick...

simple question, when u finish ur session, or ur playing time, how do u clear ur mind from it?

it seems i cant stop thinking about my play, my hands, i wanna stop thinking about it, but i can't! if i'm in bed i think about it, if i'm wiz friends i think about it and the list goes on...( jesus! i had a dream about a hand)

is there any mindset to just let it go? or whatever...

anyone?
  • 15 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      sex :]
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      This happened to me when I went up to NL20, I was insecure and worried a lot. But now I'm way more confident after reading articles and posting hands(and winning) so it doesn't happen that much.

Also playing too many hours a day would have that effect imo.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      In the beginning no.

After a time this will change and you can like switch your mind on and off from it easily.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      I play a whole lot, and when i want a break from poker/thinking about poker i gotta start off by doing something distracting.
      If i just go hang out with some friends i'll still be thinking about poker, but if i play DOTA with my friends, or golf or i run with them or something that requires for you to focus your thoughts on something else, then i snap out of my pokerthoughts.

Oh and i can dream for hours about playing shorthanded cashgames which is freaking wierd since i play s&g's :D
    • sliggy
      sliggy
      Bronze
      play starcraft and dream about zergling rushes instead
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      It can happen with everything. I once dreamed about how to solve a mathematical equation when I had lots of math that week.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luitzen
      It can happen with everything. I once dreamed about how to solve a mathematical equation when I had lots of math that week.
      When I had just gotten my TI Voyage 200 calculator, I saw Tetris blocks whenever I closed my eyes :(

(bonus points for playing tetris during class?)
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      sex :]
      +1
    • Haficek77
      Haficek77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      I play a whole lot, and when i want a break from poker/thinking about poker i gotta start off by doing something distracting.
      If i just go hang out with some friends i'll still be thinking about poker, but if i play DOTA with my friends, or golf or i run with them or something that requires for you to focus your thoughts on something else, then i snap out of my pokerthoughts.

Oh and i can dream for hours about playing shorthanded cashgames which is freaking wierd since i play s&g's :D
      I play poker even when i play DotA xD .
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      Originally posted by luitzen
      When I had just gotten my TI Voyage 200 calculator, I saw Tetris blocks whenever I closed my eyes :(

(bonus points for playing tetris during class?)
      I always played super mario vs friends. Pity I wasn't a degen back then so I didn't win any money :(

Also played some other games sometimes, probably spent like 1/3 of the last 3 years in highschool playing those games
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      did anyone read what i wrote?!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Of course & I think people have already answered it to be honest. Here's my own personal take on it:

> No simple way and no method that would probably be suitable to everyone;
      > Try distraction, computer games, talking to friends, going out for a walk etc.;
      > Alternatively actually do the opposite and set aside time after each session to review the hands and then go off and do something else after, hopefully in the knowledge that you either played the hand(s) well or learned from any mistakes;
      > As Dragar pointed out, think it gets easier with experience. When first starting out, a bad beat from say just 100 hands preys on your mind, but after 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 hands etc, any single hand becomes pretty small fry.
      > consider relaxation/meditation techniques maybe?

Llike I say, this is only my take, but couldn't agree more with you, it's very difficult sometimes. I don't tend to dwell much on poker because its not life/death to me, but I can relate to thoughts when i played competitive sports with a lot more pressure/responsibility involved. No easy solution that I know of.

I think the Pyschological strategy guides are a good starting point, eg the concentration one could equally be used to concentrate on other activities post poker session.

Bart
    • Alex147Eddie
      Alex147Eddie
      Bronze
      SPORTS !!! (including sex)
    • extpan
      extpan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      Well, its getting more sick...

simple question, when u finish ur session, or ur playing time, how do u clear ur mind from it?

it seems i cant stop thinking about my play, my hands, i wanna stop thinking about it, but i can't! if i'm in bed i think about it, if i'm wiz friends i think about it and the list goes on...( jesus! i had a dream about a hand)

is there any mindset to just let it go? or whatever...

anyone?
      that all depend if you are wining player,fish,pro,if you play to make money,...... :s_cool:
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      here's a thread for you.

you play too much poker if ...