Why do these players keep on playing?

• GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      OK, I was playing against this person that I tagged as a bad player and decided to check out his stats on sharkscope. I know there are bad players out there but surely after you lose a bit of money you would give up right? How do you play 3.5K SnGs with a ROI of -27%? I just don't understand it. Oh well, these players make us money... :D
  • 20 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      more to the point: why do you care? ^^

free money ftw :heart:
    • Haficek77
      Haficek77
      Bronze
      they play for fun
      what's his nick?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I agree, it doesn't/shouldn't have to always been solely down to the money.

I personally play for fun first & foremost, its a big hobby of mine at the moment.

Meeting & getting to know other players like you guys/girls is also great and any roi is well a bonus on top tbh.

In my opinion you should never do anything in life unless you really enjoy it. What PokerStrategy tries to do is give you the skills/expertise to enjoy your game even more and yeah, hopefully make profit at the end too.

Don't ever knock the recreational player though, they will be the players that you'll want to send Christmas cards to ;)

Here's to the spirit of Eddie the Eagle & Eric the Eel, much respect :f_love:

Bart
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Totally agree with EagleStar. Most people play recreational poker and don't care much about the money they lose. I guess it's about the thrill that surrounds all the playing.

And besides how do you know that this guy isn't paid like $200000 per year or more and totally doesn't give a shit about $10000 he lost in a few months?

All in all, poker is a game. My motivation to play it is not money. I play for fun and I want to improve my skills cause that's what I believe i should be doing in whatever it is that I set my mind upon. When I lose a few stacks I review the hands and I learn and move on. But most people like to play loose because they see durrr win a hand with 86o on high stakes poker and that's enough for them. At least that's the way I see it?
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      no idea why they play, but be grateful that they do :f_love:
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      Berry greinstain wrote something really smart in his book 'ace on the river'
      he says that on your field, poker, the fish is not knowledgeable and not educated, but on other fields you are the fish. for example, when you go buy a car, the dealer will try to give you the worst car for the highest price (as a general rule)

What bothers me about that kind of players... you would imagine after 3,500 games they would start learning but it just keeps going down!
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      the other thing you should consider is that this could just be a small downswing of an otherwise succesful player, or it could be someone who sucks at tournament play but is really good at cash games.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Small downswing huh?
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Well, Gus Hansen managed to lose 1 million on one downswing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zh3hl-c6fg&feature=PlayList&p=2A0FDE80EA9A4EE9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      -they think they are alot better than they really are , they blame bad luck...

-" they deny reality" A.S

-Losing is a habit for them...

-play wrong games

-overestimate their abilities...

-keep calling, and chasing wrong cards and pay alot for it !

i was like that ! pure fish! :D but hey when u lose , u just stop and learn..why they don't improve, well, they have daddy, or mummy, for asking for cash!! cuz if that was their own money...well..maybe they would learn and play better...

NEVER INSULT OUR CUSTOMERS!
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rhinoneil
      the other thing you should consider is that this could just be a small downswing of an otherwise succesful player, or it could be someone who sucks at tournament play but is really good at cash games.
      this has to be a joke :tongue:
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deVall3y
      What bothers me about that kind of players... you would imagine after 3,500 games they would start learning but it just keeps going down!
      Why the hell does that bother you?!
    • AnderX
      AnderX
      Bronze
      I realy don't like ppl who points out to others what they do wrong and start judging.I find them all the time on the low limits.
      Why would you care about that guy?Really..tell me...WHY?
      To bad is easyer to learn poker but harder to learn good manners
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Originally posted by rhinoneil
      this has to be a joke :tongue:
      It was kind of tongue in cheek but the point Im making I guess is that a sample from sharkscope doesnt necessarily tell the whole story of a players success or otherwise. Though having said that I would welcome the opportunity to play against whoever it is, of course.
    • bordzter
      bordzter
      Bronze
      i would want them to keep playing.... :D :D :D
    • Danne777
      Danne777
      Bronze
      Imagine if all those bad players would stop playing. It would be a whole diffrent poker world out there. I get goose bumps just thinking about it :D
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Atleast he's consistant!
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Nice uspwing at 3200th game!

:s_evil:
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      For you thats alot of money? for him it might be nothing, just playing for fun?