Chavez "Don't wanna be a fish" FL challenge.

• mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Hi all!

I've decided that it is finally time for me to start a poker blog=) Hopefully this will be educational for beginners and sometimes funny for everyone. I'll be writing my thoughts in this first post, so beginners can pick some of the ideas up. So here we go:

First, a few lines about me: I've started playing poker a few months ago after joining pokerstrategy and I've managed to build my BR from the $50 to about $400 playing SnGs. There were many times when I wanted to switch to FL, but crappy pacific poker had VERY few FL tables, at least for low limits, so I could never do it. After clearing my bonus I've moved my BR to FullTilt and started chasing the bonus. As I now realise, that was a big mistake. At lower limits one should play poker to improve his skill, not to get the monies. I've hit a downswing which was a combination of very bad luck and very bad play. Burned a part of my BR, though it was partially offset by the relesed bonus, so i did not go broke=) But here's the funny thing about online poker: the more you chase the money - the poorer your skill becomes. You have to balance the learning time and the time spent for actually playing the game. I've tried jumping from sngs to SSS, but that did not produce any positive result (surprise surprise!). So at some point I just realised that I'm only a fish. I might have more theoretical knowledge than other fish, but i'm still a FISH. And I don't like this fact. I think it's time for me to change and start my poker career from the basics again. Hopefully this time I won't screw up (If you can call making $50 -> $400 in a few months "screwing up").

Actually, the main reason for starting this blog is just to make myself stick to FL games and make myself learn.

Rules:
      -Stick to BRM
      -Stick to FL
      -Stick to the articles
      -Only allow myself as much play time as I've spent on poker education(incl session review)

Objectives:
      [] Cash out all my BR except $150
      [] Master basic FL articles
      [] Master bronze
      [] Master silver
      [] Master gold

By "mastering" I mean playing the strategy until i feel comfortable AND until i've played at least 5k hands with it. Though I guess i'll need to increase the minimum number of hands later.

Current status:

Limit: .25/.50
      BR: $470 (active $150, others to be cashed out)
      Skill: total fish :f_grin:
      Hands played: 0

=============================================
      Thoughts for beginners:
      -NEVER jump from one type of poker to another
      -Its never too late to realise that you're total fish
      -Try to improve your skill, not your BR when playing at lower limits.
      =============================================

I hope my later posts won't be so dry=) But as I said, this blog is a form of self discipline, not a "war and peace" and i'm not Leo Tolstoy :f_cool:
  • 17 replies
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Hey, Chavez! Nice to see another FL blog around here :) . Keep us posted.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Hi, mChavez!

My advice is to not cash out so much: leave 150$ and play .25/.50. If you played poker before there is no reason to play nothing less than 50cent FR tables on FL if you have large enough bankroll.

:s_evil:
    • go6071
      go6071
      Bronze
      No difference at all between 0.10/0.20 so don't waste time and start with 0.25/0.50. Grind about to 300$, if you are a fast learner well when you hit 300$ you should know enough to move to SH 0.25/0.50. Playing with the same blinds won't result to "scared money", so it is another positive side :) . Good luck with your FL career.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice!
      I guess i'll leave 150 then.

Cheers!

PS Can anyone suggest a good HUD layout for elephant for FL FR? Not going to use it now, but i'll definitely need it in the nearest future=)
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Your hands are shaking, you can't concentrate on what you're doing. YOu can only think about poker... addiction.

Poker's addictive and we all know that. DOn't know about you guys, but I find it very hard to fight my desire to play poker. Though, I wouldn't say that I have a problem with it=) Yet.

Could not play poker for quite a while cause I had exams at uni. Luckily for me they are finished now and I can play again. Yay!

Just played my first 1k hands :f_cool:
      Playing according to basic articles got me to -$30. Made a lot of mistakes. A LOT of costly mistakes. Hopefully, I'll manage to build up. I've corrected quite a lot of leaks and that should help.

Status update:
      Got more comfortable with postflop play, so now i'm slowly switching to advanced preflop FR strategy (bronze). That seems to help my BR quite a bit.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mChavez
      PS Can anyone suggest a good HUD layout for elephant for FL FR? Not going to use it now, but i'll definitely need it in the nearest future=)
      Check out the FL discussion forum - there are a couple of threads about this in the last few months.. easy to find!

BTW - totally addictive. The challenge is to balance your addiction with enough study... well, that's my current challenge!!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Man, so many FL blogs lately... Min-raise rules :)
      Good luck. You started good.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Here's summary of my first steps: :f_biggrin:

Here's the whole graph.

Session reviews were on about 400 mark and 780. Corrected quite a lot of leaks on 780 plus started using a slightly more advanced preflop play AND got more comfortable with standard playing lines.

Here's the graph AFTER the second review. Looks nice :f_biggrin:

Thoughts:

Always review your sessions
      Read and reread PS articles
      introduce new moves GENTLY.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Most stupid hand so far (represented by the huge fall on the graphs). HAve no idea why i did such stupid thing. Realised that i'm a complete idiot when hitting "cap" on river. :f_mad:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero raises, 3 folds, BB 3-Bets, MP1 caps, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 9, 4, 4 (3 players)
      BB bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-Bets, BB folds, MP1 caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.70 BB) 3 (2 players)
      MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls.

River: (18.70 BB) 3 (2 players)
      MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 26.70 BB.

Results follow:

MP1 shows a full-house, nines full of fours (9 9)
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and fours (Q Q)
      MP1 wins with a full-house, nines full of fours (9 9).
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Well... MP1 capped preflop and you just keep following him, he could still have KK or AA and I wouldn't be surprised if he was holding A3, making him a set on the flop. You were far behind from the flop. I would fold immediately if BB betted and MP1 raised him. Really, what were you thinking? :D

On the other side - I don't understand why the hell he would cap 99 preflop. :D

Well good luck with your FL adventure. You're playing in my category and maybe we'll meet sometime when I cashout the starting capital from Pacific Poker, where in the best case I can join 3 full SH tables (yes, that's right, not even one 10/10 0.25/0.50 table exists there :f_confused: )
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Good luck with your FL adventure, make sure you post hands in the hand evaluation section and not to overplay too much :) .

If you need any help you can add me on skype: b-boy-fire.

Regards,

Primzi
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey dude.

Call down to the 3 bet on the turn.. the board is relatively dry with only a flush draw.. but the board is paired so villian is less likely to be so aggressive. In the absence of reads you have to give villian credit for something as v unknown you only beat AK, possibly JJ here.

Make sure you make a note the villian's open limp / CAP PF with 99 from MP1.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      By the way, if you accidently double post due to a software lag it can sometimes be hard to think what to replace the double post with. So here' me humming a song.

Hmm hmm hmm, hmm hmm hm hm hm hm hm, Hmmm hmmm hmmm, hmm hm hm hm hm hm hm la da da de da.

Beautiful, really beautiful song. :f_eek:
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berkstajger
      Well good luck with your FL adventure. You're playing in my category and maybe we'll meet sometime when I cashout the starting capital from Pacific Poker, where in the best case I can join 3 full SH tables (yes, that's right, not even one 10/10 0.25/0.50 table exists there :f_confused: )
      I know what pacific is=) ))) That was my first platform x_x
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Very bad news=( I just started to break even when some huge financial problems fell down on me, so I have to quit FL for SnGs cause they get more cash for me=(((
      Hopefully I'll com eback to FL again later cause I absolutely loved it =) )
    • zevinhill
      zevinhill
      Bronze
      Hi there!!!

Good to have found kinred spirits!!
      I'm also im the micro FL saga... guess where?? Yep, you're right: at Pacific poker..

My first real bad poker decision... I rarely play there.. it's just annoying!

I'll be off for the following week, but I'll be back to follow-up and post some of my achievings... hope to motivate/get motivated!

Cheers!
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      I'll keep an eye on blogs, but FL on pacific is very bad=)

4 hours of playing $2 SNGs resulted in $60 profit, so now I'm definetely switching back to tourneys at least for the following 4-5 months.