Why do I suck all of a sudden?

• Computerized
      Computerized
      Bronze
      I've been playing Sit n Gos for the past couple weeks, and have steadily run my bankroll from $50 to $225. A few days ago though, I've just started losing way more than I've been winning. I honestly don't think I'm playing differently, but my win rate has gone down drastically. I'm now sitting at $100 again.

Why is this happening? Is this the dreaded variance of poker? What do I do about this? How do I keep progressing my bankroll if I keep getting sucked out on on the river?

• 3 replies
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      This happened to me as well. BEst thing to do is to review your sessions and find the mistakes.

A) You're unlucky.
      B)You were blinded by your winnings and then you started playign more loose, setting more traps etc.
      c)You're unlucky, you were blinded by success and now you're just tilting so your game is even worse.

C is the most likely one. Review your game and try to correct it.

But variance is a bitch =) )

PS don't try to play games with higher variance to cover your losses. How did you manage to win $50 bucks when your BR was about $100?? Your graph looks like you've increased your variance in the latest games. Trust me, you have to stick to your brm and you have to try and play the games with least variance when tilting.

Good luck!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

That's standard variance :P .

How do you keep progressing your bankroll? Err, you move down when neccessary and you move up when neccessary according to your BRM, it's that simple :) . Even if you're playing your A-game you can't prevent the river suckouts. I got sucked more than 20 times on river today whilst playing my A-game, it just happens ;) . I hope your luck soon changes and that you hit an upswing soon.

Regards,

Primzi
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Computerized
      I've been playing Sit n Gos for the past couple weeks, and have steadily run my bankroll from $50 to $225. A few days ago though, I've just started losing way more than I've been winning. I honestly don't think I'm playing differently, but my win rate has gone down drastically. I'm now sitting at $100 again.

Why is this happening? Is this the dreaded variance of poker? What do I do about this? How do I keep progressing my bankroll if I keep getting sucked out on on the river?

Its pretty easy to find out the answer:

Post the big pot hands(wins and losses) for evaluation. If you don't have software for this, get it asap.