MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Now irrelevent. Please scroll further.

:)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!

Well done you for pep-talking yourself back into positive poker! You seem to be really enthused by the new project - and that's more important by far than what limit you're on.

Keep it up - I'll be watching you :D

Tim
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Hi again Bum!

imo, you seem to be thinking ahead way to much. You should concentrate on learning to play better(aka beat the current limit). period.
      I wouldn't wory about goals and graphs(result oriented) or downswings, it all pans out in the end if you just keep at it.

but thats just my opinion.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I know how ya feel, I am still aching from my SSS blast in my bankroll... But you seem to have a positive plan of action, if you want a sweat session anytime, just give me a shout, I'd be happy to sweat ya.

You'll have to explain what a sweat session is - is it where you comment on my play?

If so, then sounds v useful!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      I know how ya feel, I am still aching from my SSS blast in my bankroll... But you seem to have a positive plan of action, if you want a sweat session anytime, just give me a shout, I'd be happy to sweat ya.

You'll have to explain what a sweat session is - is it where you comment on my play?

Either that or you wrestle naked with him.

sry couldnt help it.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze

If so, then sounds v useful!

Yes, where I watch and comment on your play..... Just makes you think about your plays a little a little more when you have someone watching.. :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood

Either that or you wrestle naked with him.

sry couldnt help it.
      OOoOoooo, Kinky shit... Shame I only swing one way, sorry to disappoint ya :(
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Okay it begins here. I have no idea where it will end..... Wanna come?

Had a thought....

So, I'll post it here... I am working on shit at the minute and not writing much in here, cos really not a lot is happening, I am just attempting a few things, and slowly realising a few things.....

Bankroll management, it's a lot less about the amounts people say you should or shouldn't follow. And the general one used, is although okay for most, may need a bit of tweaking for others.

My thinking is the reason bankroll management works is because of your confidence. Moving up a limit and then getting smacked back down is a pretty hard knock ya know. I mean I experianced going through like a double drop in stakes over 3 days.

And then I tried out a few things right, and I see where it all makes sense. It's how you deal with your losses, I mean I went up and down on this rather long period of hands (roughly 100k) like way up.... Then way down... And on my way back down I notice a few things.... It's not about how much money other people say you should lose and move down, it's about how much you feel you can lose at one time, given the tables and limits you play, what's the worst case scenario, in one session you could unload 24 buyins, I think that's a bit extreme but you get the jist. And how would that affect you....?

I mean when I was at NL50 I went up real quick, and I felt great and couldn't wait to get to NL100, and the days past and I was going up and up.

Then I had a few down days, And I thought .... "Well, I didn't like that very much, it's not the same as ending the day up". It's this point, your confidence comes into play..... Why did I lose that much? How much profit does that undo? Am I still up for the week? Am I still up for the month? Am I breakeven from what I started with....? And it was that epic downer that really opened my eyes...

I remembered NL25, I hated that level so much I actually paid in cash to skip it. The players man, they are real hit and miss.... You get used to playing a few idiots and a couple of regs.... The regs avoid each other to an extent and they generally wittle down the chips of the players that aren't so regular. Once you start realising who you are playing, regular loose aggresive, regular TAG, Regular Nit, it's then you realise you have learned so much. You feel your not really getting it as you climb up, cos the spirals if you are not expecting them, really affect your state of mind.... One day you are up to a certain limit and all the good things that come from poker you just started to aquire, then you looked a little further saw more things that may be coming your way your confidence is flowing. It's the regulars you are playing people! Yes it's real nice having that table where you feel you are like the only person there that's played before, but truth is, most tables have regulars on there. So, beat them, if it by avoiding them and playing uber tight, do that, if you need to be aggresive do that. Remember, each player is different. No matter how close you play to thier style, everyone has something they do different, everyone has had different learning curves. I didn't hate NL25, I just couldn't beat it at the time... Then I hit NL50, and there are more regulars, and I found that I knew more about each. And this really helps, well me anyway.

Then you take your hit from an unknown, or a few bad coolers, and all of a sudden you are losing again. All those things that you just thought could possibly maybe getting that little closer, it's all fell apart, you question your play, you try to find what is wrong. Then you first think ah it's okay, just a touch of "variance" then "No, it's just a touch of bad situations". Truth is. It's probably you. Sometimes I know it's really not. But you have to be really looking to know this.

Then you get a second day of losing and you are like wtf?! I was well unlucky.

Truth is. You questioned your ability. You looked and you couldn't see any mistakes. You pick the best hands at the start so you feel better, and your confidence is boosted a little once more. And that's what you look for, that little boost. Then you go back and because you have been checking your play and reading up about it. Without really thinking about it you've found ya problems, and you are off again... Making profit.... This is all gravy, right.... Wrong! Because you are winning again you slowly review your hands less vividly as you did when you was losing. And the spiral gets you happy with your play and move more and more away from the learning and reviewing and more time playing. So the downward spiral starts again.

NL25 btw well I think about it's like there is such a flutuation in players there it's unreal, so you are identifying people slower and it's harder to get good reads. (Hate it) Horrid level.....

But anyway, yeah, it's once you find that level that suits you, the one that makes you check your plays when you are losing, and how low can you go before it really starts affecting your confidence level is when you can take the loss/win margin into consideration.... Which ones really had you to that point where you said "Oh for fuck sake!?!" and you can then build from this, cos at that very moment is when it affects your play. So, you need to find a decent level for advancement, you need to find your own limits. Which ones can you take a big swing from? Which ones are unknown? How close are you to an unknown situation? How much could you find out about this situation? Things like that.

Find one that works for your state of mind, not because someone told you too (start with one that's dictated, but tune it sensibly for yourself). If you want to use an aggressive BRM system of 10 - 15 buyins, and that can work for you then great I am really impressed that you do this long term (Intended for the people that do it and make monthly profits, not then ones that just do it, "because") I don't like losses like that at all... So I'll go more conservitive, I would love to move up that quick, but I know the down could be just as fast. So I find one that works for me. And for now it does.. But as time changes so does your view on these things.

Like right now, I realised going through the limits is your safety net. It stops you where you should be. If you are capable of beating a certain limit, then you will stop there until you can do it again. And as you go down you noticed all you learned from the way up. Hence the need to feel a few losses and slightly let them touch ya and think " This is shaky ground, been here before, best get to adjusting a few things and reviewing more, or I'll be back to lower limits again". Sometimes you hit a bit of bad play with a general unlucky streak, and you drop slightly further than you should of, but you feel a little more comfortable here, as you've played and won before. So you can losen the BR a little you know after seeing a bigger than usual profit over like 10,000 hands. Try the next one with a few baby steps. See how the winrate is and how the losses affect you bankroll, and when did you think "OH,for fuck sakes!!!" you then get an adjusted bankroll management system. Just before this happened. The more experiance, the more you test your boundries.

So in short. Experiance is really the best way. So wherever you are in your poker career, try and enjoy it best you can, ya know. Just stick at it, whether you play for 50 hands day or 50k ya know, make sure you still enjoy what attracted you to poker.
      Find that level where you feel comfort and just go with it.
      The more you play, the more you learn, the better comfort level, the better the whole experiance ;)

Lol, I think to much.... ;)

Laters,

Danny
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Right now, btw.... I am playing NL10 BSS amd NL50 SSS, because I feel I can lose $10, and it works for me, I play SSS and if I feel like it's not going to well, I drop down to BSS, where I am playing with same stack but less likely to lose the whole buyin.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Also, as you go through the limits with a SSS and then follow behind with the BSS you are giving all your regular opponents reason to second guess how tight you are and opponents are confused while you have all thier background details giving you a slight edge with more firepower.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I have to say, nice post Danny. You got me thinking and hopefully when I next hit a downswing I will look back on it and think oh well! Just as long as I enjoy it!

Anyway I hope you recover from your sick downswing! I like your idea a lot. When you know you can beat NL50, why not have a go at it - and hey if you lose a flip just play some NL10 and recover! In the long run you will be beating NL50 SSS and your roll with grow!

Oh and I know what u mean about NL25. After 12k hand I think I would find it hard to find 1 player with more than 200 hands on ;)

Good Luck!

-Jack
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Another thought.....

S'ok at the moment I am in a kind of round up mood, you know the end of the month is here, and I am reviewing it.

So here is my breakdown.... It'll probably be long, sorry :D

But ya know, you take a while to write something, you put it off a bit and then a bit more, and then you got fuck loads to say.... Just the way I work, I dunno. Fuck it. Read if ya like, if not... Then fair play :)

Anyway, yeah I started the month as pokerstars launched thier big (and very upsetting for some) "UK May Promotion". The Americans and the rest went bonkers man. And I really can see why to be honest.
      We got the chance to do what no other nation in the world can achieve.

Reach Pokerstars Supernova status playing low stakes.

This really is a big deal for a grinder you know. All them hours with multiplied rewards... It's heaven, you have a NL50 player now that can buy all the May promo instant cash bonuses. And still have change for the $285 normal stars bonus. So as a NL50 player, you gain for just playing even breakeven poker at a steady volume of play could really be looking at getting $469 safety net for the month. So they can now go all out attack. Invest some hard earned cash into some thing that if you play well enough is easily achieved. With that you can really get some learning done fast I tell you.

It's an amount that lets you have a real shot at shooting from the micro limits. This bought out a massive increase in play of UK players, really playing hard poker. A real big step for all micro limit grinders, just given away free.

I tried my hardest. I really did. I just wasn't quite ready. I did however, reach the Platinum VIP level with a bonus of 70,000 VPP's so the adventure wasn't a total loss. Also, I took some real hard hits to both my ego, and my confidence. Truth is I think if I hadn't HAD to withdraw to pay for a few unexpected things, I think I would of made it. But I also think I'd of been shaky ground. Kinda of unsure if I should really be there or not ya know.

I got a little better though. I understand more. Mainly due to this site and the people on it. I know I have been playing a lot this month, but once I knew that going all out for supernova status was going to really harm my bankroll. I had to find my way. So I studied a little bit of everything again just to see, not what I won with, but what I lost with and where I need to improve. Cos I am one of these players that I like to learn the whole lot. So screw it man, I think i'm in for the real long haul, and why not?

I get to do something I love and as long as I keep progressing it could one day make money, but why rush? Just sit back, chill out and enjoy what ya love. While you do it, just be careful. Don't invest to much money before you know that it will really be put to good use. Until that point. When you deposit only make it small. For this game, for some of us at least is going to take a bit a of time.

But I am prepared. And I am on way.

So I may bust out again a few times along the way, but that just makes me more determined. I really love this game. And I'll enjoy it either way. So I'll take a bit of everything please. I'll play it all.

But when I experiment, I'll take it from the bottom, using this site. And a safe bankroll management.

To be honest this month, now I look at it.

I did make a little profit, about $100. It's not much, But it will come in handy.

And that's just my point, at first it's all about the $$'s or it was for me. Now, it still is in a way, but I realise now, to break through this game you need be the best you can at all times. Always, someone will outplay you at some point. And you now have a new leak. Work on each one, as soon as you spot them.

It's the best advice I can offer so far.

So yeah I want to win, obviously. But I also know, I may lose a little on the way. Keep it low, at all times. Follow the bankroll management. For whatever you try out.

If you really are feeling real confident. And mean really not just, yeah I can blag this up bit. And you really think you have a shot at the next limit try it.

But do it when you think you should. For all the right reasons. Be sensible with this game. Take it to far and you could lose big.

Be ready, prepare, work on everything. If someone offers you advice, on this site it is usually pretty genuine. And if someone gives you a bad reply or a wrong answer there are people prowling around to help you steer back on your way. And they have seen a lot of us before, all our attitudes.

And I think they do a good job. A bit more traffic on this forum, and I think it'll be a good one for serious players.

And that's what I am now, serious. I want to play poker. It inspires me to better my game. But I have to do it how I want to. Not looking at it as a quick buck in the bank.

I decided to keep my blog like this now. Just screw it, sit here chill with some tunes and stuff, and just and sit what's on my mind if anything.

Might mean I drone on a bit, but there you go. My hands if you ever want to see them, I'll just keep in the convertor and post them on the evaluation boards. I do enjoy a good tournament every now and then, so i'll be stabing at few within bankroll. I think if I see good results the frequency will change towards MTT's a bit more. If not the odd 2% off the bankroll isn't that much to lose if you enjoy playing tournaments. I am however continuing with BSS and SSS at the same limits. I'm thinking by playing both on the same limits, I could really become unpredictable at times for certain opponents.

Just something I am going to try. :)

If it pans out for me I'll let ya, if not, then never mind. I'm sure I'll enjoy playing, chilled out poker..... Wish me luck :)

Also, yeah blogs stays this way, sorry if ya don't like it but I prefer this way.
      I'll tell ya about stuff in my own words, not what the graphs say, but if ever would like to know or see my stats, then then just ask, I'll post them up.

I've just thought screw it man. I'm here for life. The poker bug bit me hard.

So hope ya don't dislike me to much, cos I wanna stay and learn :P

See ya round people,

Danny
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I mean if I feel I could really be profiting (On about play SSS and BSS on the same limit) by learning both strategies here. If I find a real good and soft table playing SSS then flick a full stack on and away you go. But also along the way you may score from just getting your hit in quick with SSS, if you start with this because of the tighter play you will notice more if you stick to four tables.

Look for one where the chips are flying, get a full stack and play a good BSS game. I mean as long as I follow the BSS bankroll and not the SSS one, I'd be okay this way right?

I need to play both, as they both have real appeal to me. So this is how I would like to work them in.

Any potential flaws?

Please feel free to say. :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You know, Aerosmith sings this song right..... It called amazing and you if you really listen to lyrics, and it applies to you man, you are on your way.

A few lines I like.... I do music btw... But mainly the lyrics... And I do go for a farely large dose of the House and Trance. But I listen to anything that in song way talks to me as a person. If I can relate to someone and know what they felt at that exact moment. It's my diary through life.....

Music is the soundtrack to my life.... It's what prompts to remind of certain things, and makes me realise I am not the first person to feel this way, and I will get through it.

Man this song is me..... Serious.

This is the exact moment in my life right now.... I've settled, I have realised. I need to do things you know?

Make of everyday what I can....

"You have to learn to crawl before you walk"

I ain't had the best of lifes man. Generally due to me getting real distracted and easily unfocused.

But I have a little focus in life and this focus extended to poker, and other aspects to. I just need to find me and so far it's going well. I am socialising more. Getting better at poker.

But now man, I work in the worst job I have ever had (fiancially), just scrapping by after a split up from my ex-fiancee not emotionally, I really don't care to be honest. But the fiancial downside is steep. When I moved I got stung cos I had this job all lined up, not bad pay, and I was planning to stay at my parents for like a month and then get a flat.

But the retard that gave me the job after all arrangments had been made for me to fiancially be stable to survive a month and be on track for a flat.

Gave notice to my boss like... Best boss I ever had, but we won't stay in contact, the work relationship went real well ya know, but we just weren't into the same things. We realised this and had the odd chat about stuff, but "different strokes for different folks" as one of my mates would say. :)

Anyway, he pulled out of giving the job... Man, I was screwed. Swindon is the highest unemployment area in the whole UK....

On the top of this all the funds I had saved up and stuff for ages to make it home and have a nice cushion to bounce back for. My car went fucking nuts, starting breaking down, needing new this needing new that. And I had it off the road so much :(

So anyway, got the first possible job, and I mean I took a low job... But I am sitting tight. This is a job that only pays low, But this company doing what it does. Shouldn't go bust. The people are a laugh, and my parents said I could crash here for a while if I help 'em out fiancially. Which is cheap, and as I am really not looking for any relationships or anything at the moment. My life is set straight for a while.

My car prevented me from being further to recover, but now all the major things have gone wrong.... I should be okay with £40 monthly budget, and I will have a real nice car.

Chill, survive, help out family, help out myself.

Get some perspective....

I think I am close.

And still have some cash to save. And some cash to treat myself.

Check me, haha....

Hope you're wanting to know me.... Cos Here I am.....

Btw, my life gets more and more trashy as I go back. It happened, if I am here and posting it on a forum, I ain't moaning I am using it to show you a point or reference something. Not for false sympathys. I am over them if I can just write 'em for all to see.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Hey, Danny!
      I really enjoy reading your long posts lol :)

Are you on Fulltilt poker now? If you are, how is it going? How's the skill compared to stars?
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hey Mishkagg,

I'm now on Stars again actually, after trying full tilt I realised rake doesn't matter, my poker playing does, and stars offers me everything that makes it easy.

So I'll stay there.

The skill on Ful Tilt is slightly softer than Stars at the mirco limits. But I feel Pokerstars is a much better training ground for me personally.

I want to learn the game before I worry about money....

Speaking of the game though it's on hold for a month or two....

I am drawing up a business plan to buy a company with 3 other people. Really firing to get it done in a week, including first meeting with the bank and the seller. We are already working on the expansion plans should the business take off and the idea only came around and started to set today...

But it will consume time, and I'm afraid poker will have to sit and wait for me for a while. I will stick around the forum though, and chat away, to keep my brain active ya know...

I'll put in the hands where I can between meetings, proposals, staff contracts, finance meetings, creating the new website, the presentation for the bank, well you get the idea... Busy times..... But this company is a steal from what we can see, and I think we can easily pitch it to a bank for a loan to kick it off.....

I'll let you know.... About the poker and the company....

Laters,

Danny
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Oh I hope it all goes good for you and you and your friends succeed with this deal. Poker's always going to be there for you. :tongue:
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Mate,

Haven't been in touch for a while. At last got myself on skype so maybe we could that sweat session after all?

Let me know.

Hope the poker gods are bringing you luck.

Tim