Damn sss so swingy....

• mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      LOL

This is crazy.... in 1200 hands i loose 12 stacks.... and then in next 700 i win 14.5 stacks....

Anyway a graph for those who will have a downswing or already having it. Keep on playing. Bullshit cant last forever.
      Of course u can stop for a while and analyze your play to look for any leaks.
      Thats what i did. When i didnt find any major leaks and realised it was just a lack of good cards and getting really unlucky i decided to go for another session :) And boom i hit an upswing :)

But still very very weird as it all happened just in 2K hands.
      Heres my graph for NL 50

• 10 replies
    • JTringer
      JTringer
      Bronze
      shortstacking by nature involves a lot of 60/40 / coinflip situations, obviously its going to be swingy, and 2k hands breakeven isnt much.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      I have to agree with JTringer, that's not a very big sample size.

When your graph looks like mine, then you can start to complain about swings ;)

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yup, 10 +/- BI per session is absolutely common with the SSS. Trains you mentally and teaches you to control tilting impulses and self discipline. Another good part of the SSS. :) But you need a bigger roll than 30 BI on the NL50 imo. At least 40 BI cause of the variance.

Anyway, keep it up and you're going to grind it!
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      Happened to me also yesterday - lost 5 stacks, 4 of them at the same table allmost in a row (3 flips and QQ to AT), then tilted away another five :P Took a break and had a smoke, saw that americans are starting to kick in. Played 800 hands session and won back all 10 stack. I advise at least 50 buy-in BR.
    • pocketrockits
      pocketrockits
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JTringer
      shortstacking by nature involves a lot of 60/40 / coinflip situations, obviously its going to be swingy, and 2k hands breakeven isnt much.
      im new here and have started playing SSS, im up $5 and could have been up more if i hadnt made a few mistakes.

I quoted you becuase you stated SSS is coin flip who will win. Im looking to improve my game and mostly importantly make money becuase it makes me feel good :P

I've turned $20 into $500 on several occasions, just by learning and be luckey at poker. So, I want to take the next step and be some what of a poker GOD hehehe.

Anyways, my question is that i dont want to leave my poker play up to a coin flip, so whats the point of playing SSS, if its down to chance and very difficult to increase your BR.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pocketrockits
      Originally posted by JTringer
      im new here and have started playing SSS, im up $5 and could have been up more if i hadnt made a few mistakes.

I quoted you becuase you stated SSS is coin flip who will win. Im looking to improve my game and mostly importantly make money becuase it makes me feel good :P

I've turned $20 into $500 on several occasions, just by learning and be luckey at poker. So, I want to take the next step and be some what of a poker GOD hehehe.

Anyways, my question is that i dont want to leave my poker play up to a coin flip, so whats the point of playing SSS, if its down to chance and very difficult to increase your BR.
      Hi Pocketrockits,

I played SSS for quite a while, it's not so much that the whole strategy is down to chance more that you are making better use of the maths in the game.

Each 50/50 situation you find yourself in you will in time see that you should be breakeven or slightly up. But it's the other situations using the SSS that will ultimately make your money, AA,KK,QQ as overpairs and using the equity chart supplied by pokerstrategy, it basically only gives you +EV decisions. I.e using your opponents range as a guide, you should be entering getting your chips in with your opponent matched or sometimes even dominated.

So although short term you may see swings that are quite wild, over the long term you will see that given the maths of the game at least around 60 - 70% by following the strategy you should be going in ahead of your opponents.

Hope that helps,

Danny
    • pocketrockits
      pocketrockits
      Bronze
      thanks for the explanation mate. I'm used to trapping my opposition, so SSS is an all new ball game for me. But I'm determined to start a proper BR and take poker more seriously.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pocketrockits
      thanks for the explanation mate. I'm used to trapping my opposition, so SSS is an all new ball game for me. But I'm determined to start a proper BR and take poker more seriously.

Go for it mate, let us know how ya get on :)
    • FirestormX
      FirestormX
      Bronze
      xponentx - After 60K hands I'd start to worry that I wasn't playing SSS profitably... Have you looked into how far below expectation you are?
    • danmarcus111
      danmarcus111
      Bronze
      The SSS is just one of many strategies. I enjoyed reading it to do my quiz a couple of days ago but don't think it is for me as it is too stringent and doesn't give me an opportunity to play poker. That said, while you will feel swings the SSS variance can only go so far and in the long run if you keep your discipline there is no reason why you shouldn't be up.