Salami's HORSE Blog

• SalamiandCheese
      :f_biggrin: Hello everyone and welcome to Salami's HORSE blog! :f_biggrin:

After an extended downswing in SH limit hold'em, I've decided to switch things up for a while and take a serious look at all the games included in HORSE:

Hold'em (limit)
      Omaha Hi/Lo
      Stud Hi
      Eight or Better Stud Hi/Lo.

I've been doing this for about two weeks now. Overall, I have about 4 weeks experience playing the various games. I haven't been keeping a precise record of my play but I am definitely beating rake in all the games at the .05/10 limit. :s_evil: I am planning to develop my HORSE game enough to play all the poker variants at the .25/.50 and beyond. When I began learning limit hold'em, I started with SH right away. So, as part of me switching things up, I'm going to play some FR limit hold'em on a regular basis as well. Any stud game is difficult to multi-table so I think it's necessary to play something like FR LHE so take advantage of bonuses, happy hour at Full Tilt, etc. :f_cool:

I'm not sure exactly where my bankroll is at the moment. I'm guessing that it's at least $600+ USD. I've been moving money around and probably spent some while part of it passed through my bank account. :f_love: For now, I have a 'roll of $150, now $178 or so at Full Tilt (thank you FR LHE guppies for the $19 last night :s_love: ) - just enough to play some FR limit HE and to take a try at .25/.50 in the HORSE games once I'm ready. Tournaments and Sng's for the less common games are another thing I would like to try. I played one horse sng and came in 3rd, not much of a sample but it's a good start! :s_evil:

For those of you who have not checked out my previous blog, Salami Tour, I'll introduce myself a bit. I'm a 29 year old soon to be graduate of economics and political science living and born in Canada. I decided to go back to school after trying several kinds of jobs and not really getting anywhere and not really happy about the jobs either. I got electrocuted several times as an electrician (you get used to it in that job but along with other hazards, I had enough of that), scratched a customers truck while loading it with stainless steel sheets with my forklift (kinda ridiculous to fire me over that, what do you expect, it's steel for fuck sakes! There's a longer story, however...), and was driven to near insanity working on an auto assembly line (it's a little monotonous :f_p: ). But better things are to come, eventually. For now, I'll be happy working anywhere, well almost, until the economy improves and places have more room for recent graduates like me. :f_love:

Anyways, back to the grind. I'll update this blog maybe 2 times a week since movements in HORSE and stud games are a little slow due to not being able to play more than 2 tables at a time. The FR LHE is going alright, but that will not be the focus of this blog. Plenty of fixed limit blogs out there already! :f_p: There might be some no limit HE in here from time to time. I started out playing no limit and actually built my 'roll up enough to play .25/.50 SH. But I hit a downswing and switched over to fixed limit. After I learn the HORSE games, I'll be close to being a good all around poker player. :s_cool:

• 10 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      That only thing left to decide is my learning plan. Up until now, I've been playing a mix of horse and the various horse games individually, whatever my heart desires at the moment. I've reached the point where I can handle my own at all of the horse games, now it's time to really focus on a more detailed strategy.

I think the best way to structure my learning is to focus on one game a week at a time. This way I will be able to read a few articles and a few chapters from the ebooks I have on strategy by the end of the week. In four weeks, I should have a fairly good handle on more detailed strategies for all the games and be able to compete in a HORSE tournament and have a realistic chance. :s_cool:

My first game of the week will be Omaha, Eight or Better. The chapter in Supersystem 2 will be the reading for the week. The chapter is about 60 pages so ten pages an hour is an attainable goal and leaves me with some to fiddle around on my own. If I get it finished in less time, all the better. :f_p: I'll play a few ring games of HORSE so that I will keep all the games fresh in my mind. I think playing no more than 3-4 hours of HORSE will be a good limit to set. I'll try to get in about 7-8 hours of Omaha hi/lo in during the week, starting tonight. :s_biggrin:

Alright, wish me luck! I'll update this next week when it's time to focus on another game.

• SalamiandCheese
      Omaha Hi/Lo, fixed limit. It's so easy to start playing loose in this game! That's the biggest danger I think. But then again the opposition is so bad-loose that it's doesn't end up being to costly playing that way. 6+ way pots in a full ring game are pretty common. All too often a random type starting hand makes the nuts through a backdoor draw and/or very lucky flop. For example, someone just called down with an overpair when there was a low on the turn, only to make the high nuts on the river with a set of kings, this just happened while writing this - a backdoor 10 high straight hit with 3 to a low on the flop for some lucky bugger while I was writing out the last example. :f_love: But the best way to play this game is by staying tight and paying attention to whats going on. Multitabling is possible but it would take more experience to do that than with the hold'em games.

It's definitely a game that can be beat. Two times in the last couple days I doubled up my starting stack of 25 BB's. In the HORSE sessions I've played, O8 has begun to be my more profitable game. I usually don't raise unless I'm very strong post-flop. The book I read on O8 made it clear that raising pre-flop should only be done in only certain places, i.e. when you have a premium starting hand and want to build a big pot in a multi-way hand or you want to trim down the number of players. The idea is to make the nuts so limiting potential customers is not necessarily the best strategy. :s_cool:

Some of these hands are pretty tricky to play. This one I'm thinking I should have played it a bit more passively. At these limits it's probably a good idea to call this one down. If my play is really bad tell me! Edit: No, I'm sure my play is bad. :f_biggrin:

Pre Flop: (1.4 SB) Hero is BB with 9 :club: 2 :club: 4 :club: K :club:
      UTG calls, 3 folds, CO calls, BTN calls, SB calls, Hero checks

Flop: (5 SB) 5 :diamond: K :heart: K :spade: (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, CO folds, BTN calls, SB folds

Turn: (3.5 BB) 2 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN raises, Hero 3-bets, BTN caps!, Hero calls

River: (11.5 BB) 8 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BTN calls

Final Pot: 13.5 BB
      BTN shows 5 :heart: 5 :spade: K :diamond: Q :diamond: (HI: a full house, Kings full of Fives)
      Hero shows 9 :club: 2 :club: 4 :club: K :club: (HI: a full house, Kings full of Twos)
      BTN wins 12.9 BB
      (Rake: $0.06)

Ok, that didn't turn out well. :f_cry: But then again there's hands like this:

Pre Flop: (1.4 SB) Hero is MP2 with 6 :club: A :spade: 5 :spade: 3 :diamond:
      UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, BTN calls all in, SB calls, BB checks

Flop: (8 SB) 7 :spade: A :heart: 9 :heart: (8 players - 1 is all in)
      SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: (7.5 BB) 9 :spade: (8 players - 1 is all in)
      SB bets, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls

River: (13.5 BB) 6 :spade: (7 players - 1 is all in)
      SB bets, UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, SB 3-bets, UTG caps!, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, SB calls

Final Pot: 27.5 BB
      BTN shows A :diamond: 5 :club: 9 :club: 4 :diamond: (HI: a full house, Nines full of Aces; LO: 7,6,5,4,A)
      SB shows 4 :club: 3 :spade: T :spade: 2 :spade: (HI: a flush, Ten high; LO: 7,6,3,2,A)
      UTG shows Q :club: 2 :club: Q :diamond: 3 :club: (HI: two pair, Queens and Nines; LO: 7,6,3,2,A)
      Hero shows 6 :club: A :spade: 5 :spade: 3 :diamond: (HI: a flush, Ace high; LO: 7,6,5,3,A)
      Hero wins 11.2 BB
      SB wins 5.6 BB
      UTG wins 5.6 BB
      BTN wins 1.9 BB
      SB wins 1 BB
      UTG wins 0.9 BB
      (Rake: $0.13)

Damn that's an ugly hand! All players involved, including me of course, are just terrible. The hand that was better than mine was all-in preflop. :f_p: Like I said, it's soooo easy to get too loose in these games. It's best to stay tight pre-flop and stay out of these very marginal situations. On the one hand there are plenty of reasons to fold the above hands, on the other it would be a shame to lose too much equity by folding. Experience counts for a lot in this game I think.

So, the Omaha Hi/Lo week is over. I'm really starting to like this game and don't want to put off playing it, but I can always play it during the HORSE sessions. The next game on the list is razzzzzz. I'm not sure what book or articles I want to read just yet. I'll be sure to post that in the next few days once I find something good to read that I can get online. Any suggestions are welcome, of course.

• SalamiandCheese
      And I should add at least one solid goal to work towards: Stop letting other players poor play affect my game. The evidence that I need to work on that part of my game is well illustrated in the hands posted in the last post. I should avoid these spots by folding preflop with marginal hands in what will end up being multi-way crap shoots and fold early if my hand doesn't develop early. Easy to say, now let's actually do it!
    • kingdippy2008
      Hi Salamiandcheese :) ,

Nice blog here. Horse looks like a really interesting and fun game so i will definately keep an eye on this blog.

Good Luck!

• SalamiandCheese
      Wow, not much to say about razz except that razz lives up to its reputation as a very easy game to grasp the basics of, but at the same time it's very frustrating. You can start out perfect against that player who called your raise with a king as the door card only to end up beaten by the time the river comes. Ahhh well, as long as the opponents keep making these bad mistakes it will turn out good in the end. :s_cool:

As with other stud games, the player with the best board bets out, which means that in most cases it's best to assume you are behind unless you are perfect in the hole. The good thing is many players fail at grasping this basic element and think the player first to act is bluffing. :f_biggrin: How can you tell if its a bluff and make that calldown in online poker? Unless you're dealing with a proven maniac it's best to assume you are probably behind at that moment. Thinking the first player to act is bluffing is a huge mistake and one that can easily be avoided but yet many do not - it's one of those little traps that every poker game has that strong players know how to avoid. Another thing that I think of as one of those little traps is the tendency to slowplay a starting hand on 3rd street. Raising and re-raising is the best way to play it I think, get the hand heads-up as soon as possible so that if you do catch a brick it won't ruin your chances, as long as your opponent catches a brick or pairs up one of their hole cards. That leads to another tendency related to the first - don't just hope that your opponent paired something up and your hand is better than it appears. I tried thinking like that at the start of the week and trust me, it's a -EV way to play. :f_p: Just a good solid, basic strategy is the best way to go - fold early and avoid these very tight spots is the recommendation. Play 3 cards to a seven or a smooth 8 on third and that will be fine. Playing a bit tighter if many of the cards you need are already out, or playing a bit looser if the cards you need are live and the cards you are holding are on the boards of your opponents are the basics of adjusting your starting hand play.

Getting extra value out of a hand by check-raising is a tricky play and something I haven't tried much so far. It's a basic game and hand reading is fairly straightforward, so checking when first to act and risking giving a free card and losing a bet (and risking taking a brick if the player would have folded to a bet) is something that needs the conditions to be just right before attempting.

The reading I found on razz is Sklansky on Razz. It's out of print as far as I know but there's download available if you look hard enough. :f_p: I didn't come close to finishing it and gave it a few glances now and then during the week. A good piece of advice I got from that book is that you can call a raise with no other players in the hand if you expect the hand to be heads-up if you have one bad card in the hole. It's 4/1 that you will outdraw the opponent on 4th, so as long as the pot odds are there you can go for it. Any other time just muck it. Having the idea in your head that you will outdraw your opponent only 1 out of 4 times is a good way to keep yourself folding early, too. :f_cool: Stealing the antes is more profitable at a full table than short-handed so stealing should be done more often at a full table. It's obvious as soon as it's pointed out but that's another mistake that some players make - being a bit too aggressive with the steals in a short-handed game.

So, the next game I'll be moving on to is Stud Hi. That game can be very tricky. Also, the tendency for players to call down when it's pretty obvious you have at least an overpair on them is a big pain in the ass! When that jackass makes two pair on the river and you don't improve it can be as frustrating as any razz game can be. :f_cry: I have a copy of supersystem 1 on my computer so I'll might finish reading that chapter for the coming week, but I'd rather find something a bit more up to date that I can get my hands on for free.

I played two $2 horse tourneys and did alright despite not making it ITM. A 14th place finish out of 79 and a 15th place finish out of 80. The bubble was at 8th for each tourney. I can consider the performances somewhat of a success I think. :f_grin:

No razz hands because they all suck! Instead, a preview of stud hi with a hand from one of the tournaments. My play probably sucked but at least the hand was pretty. :f_p:

Full Tilt Poker $2 + $0.25 Limit Stud Tournament - t50/t100 Limit + t10 - 7 players

Seat 1: t2021
      Seat 2: t2750
      Seat 3: t1675
      Seat 4: t549
      Seat 5: t743
      Hero (): t2483
      Seat 7: t1779

3rd Street:
      Seat 1: xx xx 7 :diamond:
      Seat 2: xx xx 9 :diamond:
      Seat 3: xx xx 2 :heart:
      Seat 4: xx xx Q :spade:
      Seat 5: xx xx K :spade:
      Hero: 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club:
      Seat 7: xx xx T :heart:

Seat 3 brings in for $15, Seat 4 folds, Seat 5 folds, Hero completes, Seat 7 folds, Seat 1 folds, Seat 2 folds, Seat 3 calls

4th Street: (3.4 SB) (2 players)
      Seat 3: xx xx 2 :heart: A :spade:
      Hero: 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club: 8 :spade:

Hero bets, Seat 3 raises, Hero calls

5th Street: (3.7 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 3: xx xx 2 :heart: A :spade: Q :club:
      Hero: 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club: 8 :spade: 7 :club:

Hero checks, Seat 3 bets, Hero calls

6th Street: (5.7 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 3: xx xx 2 :heart: A :spade: Q :club: K :diamond:
      Hero: 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club: 8 :spade: 7 :club: 3 :club:

Hero checks, Seat 3 checks

7th Street: (5.7 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 3: xx xx 2 :heart: A :spade: Q :club: K :diamond: xx
      Hero: 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club: 8 :spade: 7 :club: 3 :club: 5 :spade:

Hero bets, Seat 3 calls

Final Pot: 7.7 BB
      Seat 3 mucks Q :diamond: J :diamond: 2 :heart: A :spade: Q :club: K :diamond: 3 :spade:
      Hero shows 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: 8 :club: 8 :spade: 7 :club: 3 :club: 5 :spade: (four of a kind, Eights)
      Hero wins 7.7 BB

I guess the 3rd :club: must have scared him from betting on 6th. His board was looking good with the AKQ on 6th so I though he was going to bet for sure! I probably lost 2BB by not raising on 5th. I choose not to raise on 4th for deception of course and bets double in price come 5th street so just calling the raise on 4th was probably a good choice.
    • SalamiandCheese
      Not much time for Stud Hi this week so I'm just going to put off the main stud hi post until next Wednesday. I have lots of school work to finish for this week so I'm just going to play some fixed limit when I have the time during the next week. :f_biggrin:

I've back to playing FL SH again at the .05/.10 and later some at the .25/.50 tables. On the .05./.10 tables I've been running at 8.5bb/100 over 1954 hands and at the .25/.50 tables I've been running at 7.4bb/100 over 1146 hands. The results are most likely above expectation but I'm pretty sure I'm playing better lately, probably due to the experience I've gained playing all these other games one-tabling. I've been playing 1 or 2 tables with the fixed limit and I might as well stick to 2 tables for now. Maybe start opening up a third once start getting bored later on in mid-session. :s_cool:
    • SalamiandCheese
      Yeah, just like pretty much every poker game, it's just a bad idea to attempt to slowplay, trap, etc. your opponents in razz or stud hi. Not a big surprise. :f_p: So, for anyone who wants to branch out into these games, the tight aggressive, mathematical, disciplined style of play that is learned here at PS is definitely the way to go in any game.

Of all the horse games, stud hi seems to be the most difficult. Stud hi/lo is a bit easier because if you stick to the recommended starting hands, you'll usually have a low that you are working on while hoping to back into a high, and with a low its much easier to see if it's worthwhile to stay in the hand. In stud hi, if you follow a tag strategy, it will frequently be the case that yeah, you raised your (JA)J on third only to find yourself unimproved and against 1-2 opponents hanging in there on 5th with boards that could be anything. That situation comes up again and again and makes stud hi a tough game for the beginner, like me. :f_biggrin: I read the section in SuperSystem 1 on stud hi and it's definitely helpful.

I've been playing .25/.50 horse the last week and I'm getting pretty good. :s_cool: I've doubled up my stack of 25 BB's a couple times this weeks plus a couple other good sessions. But I had my first real downswing type experience earlier today and lost about 30 BB's in 2 hours, about 140-150 hands. I lost so much that the auto-rebuy feature kicked in, I forgot about that feature completely. :f_p: Then it kicked in a second time... I argued with someone about their bad play, played a bit more, apologized a bit, then left. Yeah, I gotta stop doing that... :s_evil:

I've been playing a few more FL-HU sng's lately. A couple days ago I noticed I was 6 for 6 during the last couple weeks so of course it's a good idea to play some more of these. :s_biggrin: At the moment I'm 11 for 12 which is really nice. Making plan to play 100 of these will be something I'm going to work towards. Something like winning 67 of 100 would be a great result. I'll post something in another section later on to see if anyone has a good idea on what a realistic winrate for these are. A winrate over 60% would be good I think and a winrate over 75% would be too high to be sustainable is my guess.

Up next is stud hi/lo. There's a good section on it here at PS but I'm going to read the Supersystem 2 chapter on it as well for Wednesday of next week. After that, I'm not too sure. Back to grinding .50/1 FL-SH and keep horse as a side game until it's time for .5/1? Sng's are going well and I could grind away at those and play horse on the side. Tourneys take up too much time for me to consider grinding, they are only good for the occasional NL, horse, or FL tourney (I've been working on my full ring FL game lately too). Ohhh yeah! There is also the NL-SH CAP game that I've been playing around with. But damn! That's an ugly game! Maybe leave that game to Kruppe... :f_biggrin:

• SalamiandCheese
      It took my 2 weeks but I finally got through reading up on the final game, stud hi/lo. I took a look through the limit hold'em section in supersystem 2 and there's some good advice in there, but I think I get more out of the strategy articles here, of course. :f_p:

I played my 3rd (maybe 4, who knows) horse tournament this morning and it worked out alright. Well, it couldn't have went better, actually. I came in 1st out of 111 players in a $2.25 mtt and cashed $69.96. :f_cool: Just before the final table I took a big hit and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to make it to the final table. But the game changing moment came during the stud hi rounds, that's where I got the chip lead back. The reading I did for Stud Hi was the Chip Reese chapter in Supersystem 1, and the advice I got out of that book really helped me a lot. :s_love: The game went into heads-up at the start of the omaha hi/lo round, no good. :f_p: But I made it through that and managed to build my chip lead then it was just a matter of getting it in good during the razz round for the win without giving my opponent any chance to build a stack again. I'll post up a hand or two later, but for now I need to take a nap. :f_p:
    • SalamiandCheese
      Been a while but I've been playing some other games lately. Tried some omaha full ring for a bit at the .01/.02 level and damn that's fun with a $2 stack. Omahahaahaha! Played a $5 HORSE tourney on FTP this evening. I changed internet providers today and it's nice playing a tourney not worrying about a lousy connection. :D It started out slow and I got hit with a couple bad beats and ended up short-stacked early until these hands happened:

Limit Holdem Tournament
      8 Players

UTG ($2,431)
      UTG+1 ($1,757)
      MP1 ($1,629)
      MP2 ($1,350)
      CO ($3,779)
      BTN ($1,743)
      Hero ($539)
      BB ($1,620)

Blinds: 40/80

Pre-Flop: ($120, 8 players) Hero is SB A:heart: A:club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $80, 4 folds, Hero raises to $160, BB calls $80, UTG+1 calls $80

Flop: 8:club: 10:spade: K:heart: ($480, 3 players)
      Hero bets $80, BB calls $80, UTG+1 raises to $160, Hero raises to $240, BB calls $160, UTG+1 raises to $320, Hero calls $80, BB calls $80

Turn: 6:diamond: ($1,440, 3 players)
      Hero goes all-in $59, BB calls $59, UTG+1 raises to $160, BB calls $101

River: 2:spade: ($1,819, 3 players, 1 all-in)
      BB checks, UTG+1 bets $160, BB calls $160

Final Pot: $2,139
      Hero shows
      A:heart: A:club:
      UTG+1 shows
      Q:diamond: K:spade:

Hero wins $1,617 ( won +$1,078 )
      UTG+1 wins $522 ( lost -$278 )
      BB lost -$800

Then the very next hand:

Limit Holdem Tournament
      8 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by

UTG ($1,479)
      UTG+1 ($1,629)
      MP1 ($1,350)
      MP2 ($3,779)
      CO ($1,743)
      Hero ($1,617)
      SB ($820)
      BB ($2,431)

Blinds: 40/80

Pre-Flop: ($120, 8 players) Hero is BTN A:club: A:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $80, 2 folds, Hero raises to $160, SB raises to $240, 1 fold, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $320, SB calls $80

Flop: 4:heart: 7:spade: 4:spade: ($800, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $80, SB calls $80

Turn: J:club: ($960, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $160, SB calls $160

River: Q:diamond: ($1,280, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $160, SB calls $160

Final Pot: $1,600
      Hero shows
      A:club: A:diamond:

Hero wins $1,600 ( won +$880 )
      SB lost -$720
      MP1 lost -$80

I 5x my stack in two hands with back to back AA! Odds of that is 48840:1, and with the odds of them actually holding up it's gotta be over a million to 1. But then nothing really special happened the rest of the tourney and I ended up finishing 25th out of 159 -- itm was a 16. If I made the next hand I probably would have been able to make it itm or further.

Full Tilt Poker $5 + 0.50 Limit Stud Tournament - t500/t1000 Limit + t100 - 6 players

Seat 2: t13568 M = 10.05
      Seat 3: t8656 M = 6.41
      Seat 4: t28956 M = 21.45
      Seat 6: t11277 M = 8.35
      Seat 7: t7927 M = 5.87
      Hero (): t2472 M = 1.83

3rd Street: (1.2 SB)
      Seat 2: xx xx T :diamond: ____Seat 2 folds
      Seat 3: xx xx J :heart: ____Seat 3 folds
      Seat 4: xx xx 3 :diamond: ____Seat 4 calls
      Seat 6: xx xx 2 :heart: ____Seat 6 brings in for $150____Seat 6 calls
      Seat 7: xx xx 7 :heart: ____Seat 7 calls____Seat 7 calls
      Hero: 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: ___Hero completes

4th Street: (5.2 SB) (4 players)
      Seat 4: xx xx 3 :diamond: 7 :club: ____Seat 4 calls
      Seat 6: xx xx 2 :heart: K :club: ____Seat 6 checks____Seat 6 calls
      Seat 7: xx xx 7 :heart: 4 :spade: ____Seat 7 checks____Seat 7 calls
      Hero: 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: J :diamond: ___Hero bets

5th Street: (4.6 BB) (4 players)
      Seat 4: xx xx 3 :diamond: 7 :club: K :diamond: ____Seat 4 checks____Seat 4 folds
      Seat 6: xx xx 2 :heart: K :club: 4 :club: ____Seat 6 checks____Seat 6 calls
      Seat 7: xx xx 7 :heart: 4 :spade: 6 :spade: ____Seat 7 bets____Seat 7 calls
      Hero: 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: J :diamond: 2 :spade: ___Hero raises all in

6th Street: (8.716 BB) (3 players - 1 is all in)
      Seat 6: xx xx 2 :heart: K :club: 4 :club: A :club: ____Seat 6 bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 7 :heart: 4 :spade: 6 :spade: 8 :spade: ____Seat 7 calls
      Hero: 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: J :diamond: 2 :spade: K :spade:

7th Street: (10.716 BB) (3 players - 1 is all in)
      Seat 6: xx xx 2 :heart: K :club: 4 :club: A :club: xx____Seat 6 bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 7 :heart: 4 :spade: 6 :spade: 8 :spade: xx____Seat 7 calls
      Hero: 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: J :diamond: 2 :spade: K :spade: 8 :heart:

Final Pot: 12.716 BB
      Seat 6 shows A :diamond: 5 :club: 2 :heart: K :club: 4 :club: A :club: 2 :diamond: (two pair, Aces and Twos)
      Seat 7 shows 6 :heart: 5 :spade: 7 :heart: 4 :spade: 6 :spade: 8 :spade: 5 :heart: (a straight, Eight high)
      Hero mucks 8 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :diamond: J :diamond: 2 :spade: K :spade: 8 :heart:
      Seat 7 wins 4 BB
      Seat 7 wins 8.716 BB

Pretty sure it was the right play. It's not easy to find a stud hi hand to jam and the next round was stud hi/lo so I had to make a move if I was to make it itm. Now, seat 7, I think he started out with 557 and picked up the straight draw on 5th -- if I didn't have my chat off I would have Hellmuth'ed him!

No guarantee, but I'll probably be playing some more other games in the next little while and put up 1-2 posts a week.

• SalamiandCheese
      I've been running much better in the horse tourneys than at the cash games. ITM 2 of 3 times this week and the best finish was 9 of 211 for a small cash of $17.41. Cash games... I haven't won a decent pot all week. :f_p: I've been working with propokertools recently for all the games and I think it's helping me get a better feel for the games. Being a limit hold'em player, I'm not exactly enthusiastic about limping, but sometimes when the table is getting passive because of the blinds but still loose enough to make raising an unappealing choice, it can turn out well. Here's a stud8 hand where I found myself with a massive draw on 5th against a hi only hand.

Full Tilt Poker $5 + $0.50 Limit Stud Hi/Lo Tournament - t600/t1200 Limit + t100 - 7 players

Seat 1: t10438 M = 6.52
      Seat 2: t30700 M = 19.19
      Seat 3: t5867 M = 3.67
      Hero (): t10516 M = 6.57
      Seat 5: t3317 M = 2.07
      Seat 6: t3458 M = 2.16
      Seat 8: t3897 M = 2.44

3rd Street: (1.167 SB)
      Seat 1: xx xx 4:spade: ____Seat 1 brings in for $200
      Seat 2: xx xx T:heart: ____Seat 2 calls
      Seat 3: xx xx A:spade: ____Seat 3 folds
      Hero: 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: ___Hero calls
      Seat 5: xx xx A:heart: ____Seat 5 calls
      Seat 6: xx xx 9:diamond: ____Seat 6 folds
      Seat 8: xx xx T:diamond: ____Seat 8 folds

4th Street: (2.5 SB) (4 players)
      Seat 1: xx xx 4:spade: J:club: ____Seat 1 checks____Seat 1 folds
      Seat 2: xx xx T:heart: K:spade: ____Seat 2 bets____Seat 2 calls
      Hero: 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: 6:diamond: ___Hero raises
      Seat 5: xx xx A:heart: 4:club: ____Seat 5 checks____Seat 5 calls

5th Street: (4.25 BB) (3 players)
      Seat 2: xx xx T:heart: K:spade: A:diamond: ____Seat 2 bets____Seat 2 calls
      Hero: 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: 6:diamond: 3:spade: ___Hero raises
      Seat 5: xx xx A:heart: 4:club: K:club: ____Seat 5 folds

6th Street: (8.25 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 2: xx xx T:heart: K:spade: A:diamond: T:club: ____Seat 2 checks____Seat 2 calls
      Hero: 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: 6:diamond: 3:spade: 7:heart: ___Hero bets

7th Street: (10.25 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 2: xx xx T:heart: K:spade: A:diamond: T:club: xx____Seat 2 checks____Seat 2 calls
      Hero: 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: 6:diamond: 3:spade: 7:heart: Q:heart: ___Hero bets

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
      Seat 2 mucks A:club: K:heart: T:heart: K:spade: A:diamond: T:club: 6:club:
      Hero shows 4:diamond: J:diamond: 5:diamond: 6:diamond: 3:spade: 7:heart: Q:heart: (HI: a straight, Seven high; LO: 7,6,5,4,3)
      Hero wins 6.125 BB
      Hero wins 6.125 BB

From there I got my stack up to just under 30k and cruised my way almost to the final table. I ended up short-stacked with a low draw and a gutshot against what was looking like a hi only hand on 4th and caught air on the next three cards to finish 9th.

On Sundays, there's a $200 horse tourney on Tilt. That would be great to take that one down, but for now I'll have to settle for the $2 horse tourney I took down a while ago. :f_biggrin: