HOw much $$ do PokerStrategy coaches make per week from poker?

• 11 replies
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      That depends on the coach :D

I hope you mean how much they make by playing poker and not how much we pay them as a coach. (they only way to find out that is to become a ps coach :D )

It is really hard to guess how much someone earns through playing Poker.
      But if you are a winning player on $3/$6 perhaps with a rate of 1.5BB/100hands and more so playing 3-4 tables this is an hourly rate of about $20.

By the way my theory is that almost everybody with enough effort can beat $3/$6 fixed.

If someone plays constantly on a certain limit you can expect him to be a winning player between 1 and 2 BB per 100 Hands over a sample size of more then 50k hands.

But there are also so many unknown factors like up -and downswings and mor stuff so the best thing to find that out is ask the coach and perhaps he will tell ;)

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      By the way my theory is that almost everybody with enough effort can beat $3/$6 fixed.
      I sure hope u are right abouth that one Stefan =) cos im on my way ! I have cleared my bonus and my bankroll is now at $184. Im going to play on .15/.30 now for a while and get comfortable before i move up to .25/.50 wich my BR actually allows atm. But ive heard the .25/.50 is a bit tricky. Can u confirm that? And what would u do in my position?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      So first of all i can not confirm that ;)

All in all of course your opponents get a little better when moving up.

But while i was playing on these limits the biggest gap was from 0.5/1 to 1/2.

If you should move up or not is personal decision.

The question is if you can handle it to move down again after a few hands if it is running bad on the new limit.

If you can do that without having a lot of problems going down again then you should move up. But if you say it would disencourage you if you have to move down again then you should better play on the limit you are feeling comfortable at and only move up with a bigger BR.

All in all this is a very complicated and personal decision.

But in general the skill difference up to 0,5/1 is not that big. So you should do quite well on 0.25/0.5 but don't forget this is poker, you can't control the cards.

The interesting thing about poker is that a lot of people fail to get good at it because of psychological reasons. They can't handle the ups and downs you will face. It could be that you are playing your A-game but you loose money.
      And it can also be that you are playing crap but you win.

Professional Attitude

This is an interesting article you should read by the way.

So all in all it just comes down to a simple rule. If you feel comfortable moving up - then move up. If you think you don't have the knowledge yet and you would feel uncomfortable playing for bigger amounts then just wait.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      I have read that article a few times and it helped me alot. I can handle downswings at the moment so psychological im pretty stable.

But i wanted to know how big the skill gap was at these limits. U say the biggest gap comes between 0.5/1 to 1/2 so i wont have to worry much until i reach 0.5/1 then i think.

Im pretty confident abouth my game and my knowledge at the moment so i think i will play at 0.15/0.30 until i reach $200 and then move up to 0.25/0.50. And ofcourse keep improving my game =)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Wilm, I found .15/.30 to be the easiest on the way up, for some reason even easier than the earlier limits. I struggled when I first moved up to the .25/.50 level. This was for a combination of reasons. I was playing on the tightest tables, where only the best hands were played, and I got a run of bad cards at the same time. I had to go back to .15/.30, where I won easily again. I am playing at .25/.50 again now, and it seems very ordinary. I have found a lot of looser players there again, which makes playing a lot simpler. I still have runs of good and bad cards, and at the moment, am in a bit of a down swing, but still +BB at the limit. I am going to win another 200 BB before I go up again from here. But, it is quite easy to play.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      What BR did u have wenn u moved up to 0.25/0.50 the second time? Im planning to move to .25/.50 wenn i have $200. U think thats enuff? Its 100BB($50) more then i need to have for that limit.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      400BB for the next limit at FR is very nice. Actually you could also do it with less.

The deviation at FR is not that big as with SH.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • Anakha
      Anakha
      Bronze
      I was playing .15/.30 and .25/.50 not too long ago, so maybe I can be of some help.

Generally there isn't much difference, I personally had continues problems with cold cards, something I have consistently when moving up :) but that might not apply to you. Main difference is that most .25/.50 tables become noticibly tighter , so you need to pay more attention the card selections people play with. Call flop - raise turn manouvers also seemed more prevelant to me.

With a bankroll between $150 and $200 you can easily give it a try, my advice would be to not make a big thing of the limit barriers and be more flexible. Just try out a few tables of .25/.50 for half an hour or so at different times to feel up the opposition and consider wether you want to try and play at that limit consistently for awhile or want to stay at your current and study a bit more.

Hope that helps :) .

Anakha
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Pretty much what Anakha says. They are tighter, so table selection becomes important, looking for the looser players again. But remember, when they are looser, you need to be tight still, because bad beats can be worse. Your bankroll is sufficient, I had about $290, but $150 of that was from PS. I really didn't know when I first went up that I was playing on the very tight tables. I only read the article on table selection in the Gold section after this, and it makes sense. After that, I look for the looser tables, and wait to get on them. I also leave a table if it becomes too tight and passive. I also stopped playing 4 tables and dropped back to 3, or sometimes only 2. I now feel quite comfortable there, and can't remember why it felt so scary the first time. Stay focussed, and you can't go wrong. Good luck with it.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      Pretty much what Anakha says. They are tighter, so table selection becomes important, looking for the looser players again. But remember, when they are looser, you need to be tight still, because bad beats can be worse. Your bankroll is sufficient, I had about $290, but $150 of that was from PS. I really didn't know when I first went up that I was playing on the very tight tables. I only read the article on table selection in the Gold section after this, and it makes sense. After that, I look for the looser tables, and wait to get on them. I also leave a table if it becomes too tight and passive. I also stopped playing 4 tables and dropped back to 3, or sometimes only 2. I now feel quite comfortable there, and can't remember why it felt so scary the first time. Stay focussed, and you can't go wrong. Good luck with it.
      Very good point!

Look for loose opponents.

Leave a table if it gets too tight!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hey aciddrop what is your MSN adress?