Hardicus's SSS Battle

• xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Hi everyone and welcome to my blog. I have been thinking of writing one for quite a while, but have always thought my time could be better spent doing other poker-related things. However, I feel as though I need to track my progress now, and it will be nice to be able to take a break and write rather than watch videos, coachings etc.

So, a little about myself. My name is Hardie, and I am an Aussie living in the UK with my wife. I'm 25 years old, and work full-time as a manager.

I discovered PS.com about a year ago. I was trawling the web for a new free MMORPG to play, but when I couldn't find anything, I decided to give poker a try. I signed up with a few other sites that gave away free money, but I always blew the money in a few days with bad play. I found PS.com, and this all changed. Having to pass the quiz before the money was provided really gave me the basic knowledge I needed to improve my game, and i've been playing ever since.

I started out on Titan, but after about 6 months decided to move to Stars. I now play on Stars and occasionally Mansion.

I play mainly SSS, but my journey has been a hard one.

I started out on NL10 on Titan. Grinded my way along to NL20, beat that with a BB/100 of about 5. Moved up to NL50 at $300, lost $150 in 4 days and had to move back down to NL20.

Then I moved to Stars and began playing NL25. When I hit $500 I moved up to NL50. This time I managed to stay there for about 2 weeks before losing $250 and having to move back down to NL25.

At this point I started to think I wasn't ready for NL50, so I did a lot of analysis on my game, read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos, as well as posted a number of hands. Seems as though it was just bad luck, as I was ahead most of the time I got my money in, but just kept losing to suckouts.

So, a bit wiser, I grinded my way up to NL50 for a 3rd time, this time again with $500. This time I managed to stay there for a good month, but once again I lost a heap of money, and had to move back down (this time I did it with $300).

I have been tracking my results for April/May (lost all my old hand histories due to Hard Disk failure) in Holdem Manager, and i'm currently running around $400 below EV. My bankroll is sat at $265.

I play in one of two styles: either 6 table tiled, or 16-20 table cascaded. I am currently doing a lot of cascaded play in an attempt to reach Supernova with the current UK bonus. I play at least 500 hands per day whichever way I play, but cascaded I can manage up to 3000, whereas tiled i'm really limited to 1000 at a stretch.

My current goals:
      [list]
      [*]Reach Supernova Complete.
      [*]Reach 5BB/100 on NL25 (Current: 2.99).
      [*]Move up to NL50. [COLOR=red]Failed[/color].
      [*]Move up to NL50. [COLOR=red]Incomplete[/color].
      [*]Reach 5BB/100 on NL50 [COLOR=red](Current: -1.36)[/color].
      [*]Move up to NL100.
      [/list]

I will add more goals as I go along, but right now I am focused on beating NL50, as I have a lot of experience there now, and I know I can beat it, i've just been prone to a lot of suckouts.

Thanks for reading, i'll try to update this every week, so stay tuned.

-Hardicus
  • 14 replies
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Well, there's another weekend gone, and it's back to work already. Also another month over, so I thought i might post my graph.

As you can see, not a very successful month for me. 40k+ hands, and running well below EV, but things have turned up a little in the last 4 days, where I have been in the green each day.

For June, i'm going to focus on improving my NL25 game, still working towards my goal of achieving 5BB/100 before mmoving up to NL50, although i'm thinking that might be a very optimistic goal for SSS. I am working on integrating the adjusted Reraise Ranges into my game at the moment, and it seems to be having a positive effect; seems there is a lot of fold equity out there if you dare to sniff it out.

Aside from the usual grinding, I played a few MTTs and SNGs this weekend. I played a few SNGs on Mansion (building up my 2nd starting capital there, currently about $70 from $1 SNGs only). Also had a big weekend for MTTs. My results were:

Weekly VIP 100FPP Tourney (Stars): Busted Early with AK vs TT.
      Monthly VIP Freeroll (Stars): Busted near the bubble with KQ vs A7s, my 2 pair beaten by a river flush X( .
      Pokerstrategy Bronze (Titan): Busted out first few hands AA vs K7s.
      Pokerstrategy Silver (Titan): Busted in 67nd place, won $15.
      Turbo Takedown (Stars): Satellited in for 500FPP, won $45.

This was the first Turbo Takedown I played, and I will definately do it again. It was very easy to hit the money, and I think with any halfway decent stack at the bubble, you could make it quite deep, unfortunately I was shortstacked nearly the whole time due to a few early bad beats.

Well, that's it for now, will update again soon.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Well, thanks to the ridiculous UK bonus on Stars, this morning I recieved 70,000 VPPs in my account. So my new immediate goal is to get to Supernova as soon as possible, so that I can make the most of the rest of the year. Wish me luck!
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      hey exponentx,
      I'm also playing SSS, only switched over just over a month ago. It really is frustrating when you do a lot of work to get somewhere but then have a couple of bad sessions that undo all your hard work. But I like that you stick to bank roll management move down and work your way back up again. Once you do stick at NL50 and then beyond it will be far more rewarding..

----
      my blog is called wildbeansssoup if you want to check it out. good luck at the tables.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Hi Wildbeans,

Yeah i've read your blog before. Thanks for your interest in mine :D .

On a different note, due to personal reasons, i've quit my job (and should be getting a decent redundancy). I will be emigrating back to Australia in August, and finishing work at the end off June. That means I will have nearly a whole month to play poker full time, so I should have no problem hitting Supernova :s_cool:

Also I will get to see what my earning potention is like as a full-time player (obviously I don't expect to be able to live off NL25 SSS, but a month of full-time play should give me an idea of what I could be earning on the higher limits).
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      I'm sure you'll get an idea, but the higher limits are VEEERY different to the lower limits, so just bear that in mind before you start extending your
      "holiday" :) . But on the other hand, sounds like you're going to have a good month.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Well, since my last post I hit a bit of an upswing. Won session after session and built my bankroll up to $550. Decided to give NL50 another stab since I certainly had the bankroll for it, and i'm keen to clear the VPPs at the moment.

Surprise surprise...it didn't go well. I did one session 6-Tabling for 1500 hands, and ended up down $100. I've decided to drop back to NL25 until I make that $100 back then i'll try again. As usual, I'm struggling to see the leaks in my NL50 game, it just seems like i'm mostly unlucky.

I'll post a few of my worst losses from yesterday:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $13.10
      BB:
      $31.95
      UTG2:
      $54.40
      MP1:
      $10.95
      MP2:
      $18.40
      MP3(Hero):
      $11.10
      CO:
      $51.05
      BU:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, K.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 5, A, 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB calls $2.50.

Turn: ($9.25) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6.60(All-In), BB calls $6.60.

River: ($22.45) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $22.45.

Results follow (highlight to see):

Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings (Kd Kh)
      BB shows a full-house, aces full of fives (5c Ac)
      BB wins with a full-house, aces full of fives (5c Ac).

Not sure, maybe I let the flushdraw go on the turn?
      --------------------------------------------------------------

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $20.00
      UTG2:
      $26.35
      MP1:
      $9.00
      MP2:
      $14.50
      MP3:
      $8.50
      CO:
      $50.00
      BU:
      $17.00
      SB(Hero):
      $10.25

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, 6.
      4 folds, CO calls $0.50, BU folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 9, 7, 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, CO folds.

Turn: ($3.50) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BB calls $3.00.

River: ($9.50) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.75(All-In), BB calls $5.75.

Final Pot: $21.00.

Hero shows a full-house, sixs full of sevens (6s 6h)
      BB shows a straight flush, nine high (5c 8c)
      BB wins with a straight flush, nine high (5c 8c).

I couldn't do anything different here I don't think.

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $50.75
      SB:
      $51.15
      BB:
      $50.00
      MP1:
      $12.75
      MP2(Hero):
      $7.50
      MP3:
      $12.05
      CO:
      $17.95

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, BU calls $2.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 2, 3, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.50(All-In), BU calls $5.50.

Turn: ($15.75) 2 (2 players)

River: ($15.75) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $15.75.

Hero shows a pair of twos (Kd Ah)
      BU shows two pairs, threes and twos (3s Ks)
      BU wins with two pairs, threes and twos (3s Ks).

Maybe I don't contibet on this one due to the straight draw possibilities? I think I should always contibet here but this hand makes me second guess it.
      Aside from those, my big pocket pairs seemed to always run into bigger pocket pairs, or my bigger pocket pairs were sucked out by smaller ones, which sucks but that's poker.

I think one thing that i've noticed about NL50 vs NL25, is that although the players on NL50 are willing to play just as many junk starting hands as the NL25 player, they are much more willing to let the hands go when they don't hit. As a result, I think I might start lowering my contibet amount to 1/2 pot vs loose players on NL50, and perhaps give up TPTK is some spots when faced with opposition from TAGs. Seems to be a lot less bluffing, so maybe I should heed their bets sometimes.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      You are playing 6 handed?
      Are you playing with stats?
      Have you worked with the Equilator to work on profitable shoving ranges?

If not i suspect this is why you get beat back down when you move up to 50NL

I have never tried SSS 6 handed but im sure it will work ok but you need to put some hours in with the Equilator to gather some profitable ranges.

If you need any help do not hesitate to ask as I am a NL200-NL400 SSS although at full ring.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      No i'm playing Full Ring, and make heavy use of stats, but I use Holdem Manager, and the stats don't come through on the Hand History convertor.

I've used Equilator a fair bit, and I sometimes use it live when faced with a difficult decision, and also use xarry's handy little break-even-equity calculator. I'll do a bit more training with the Equilator, thanks for the tip.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Well, I've been grinding the last week back on NL25, trying to win back the $100 I lost on NL50. Nearly there, have $10 to go, which I hope to blast through today. Has a slow few days where my BB/100 has dropped a fair bit. Thankfully i've been able to get some decent volume in over the weekend (7k or so hands), and it's evened out to a nice winning curve. Also cleared the 10k FPPs needed for the $160 June bonus, so a nice little bit of a bankroll boost there (although I haven't claimed it yet, I will before the end of June though).

I've been spending more time on session analysis over the last week. I've been checking out all my decent winning and losing hands, examining my play, and making notes on the other players. I've found the notes very handy in further sessions so I'll keep doing this.

Provided I have a winning session today, i'll be moving back up to NL50 so, wish me luck :)
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Been a while since I updated, so figured I should take a break from poker and get my progress logged.

June was a good month, I hit a bankroll milestone of $1k, which i'm very excited about, as it's been built from nothing. I progressed well on NL50, and finally broke even from my downswing of about 100k hands. Still down on NL50 overall, but progressing towards hitting positive numbers there. Cashed for $70 in the June Turbo Takedown, and managed to hit Platinum here on Pokerstrategy.

I bought Holdem Manager and Tableninja this month as well, and I think they are definately helping my game and have already paid for themselves.

Still working towards Supernova, it's slow going to get there. I have about 10k VPPs to clear now, but i'm playing fulltime for the next 2 weeks, so should be able to do it in that time.

June Graph (Managed to finally work my way above EV for once):

Overall Graph at the end of June (Finally breakeven!):

The first few days of July i've been unemployed, so playing poker fulltime until we leave the country at the end of July, at which point i'll have to find a new job. But for now, I got nothing much better to do. I've been 20 tabling, and managing to pull between 5-6k hands a day. The first few days of July have been very swingy, but overall i'm ahead.

Think that's it for now, as i've hit Platinum I have some new articles to read, which i'll be making time for this week, otherwise it's back to the grind.
    • AndySk
      AndySk
      Bronze
      hey,, may I ask for showdown / nonshowdown winnings graph ?
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Yes, i'm still here, although it's been a hectic couple of months.

I've now moved back to Australia, and finally i'm settled enough to update.

I'm jobhunting at the moment, so don't have quite as much time for poker as i'd like, but I am still finding the time where I can. Typically, after I finally managed to reach a state of breakeven, i've now hit a monster downswing, and i'm down from a high of $1100 to $600. I've been playing my A game, but it seems every time I hit TPTK, someone hits a set, every time I hit a flush, someone hits a full house, every time I have AA, someone hits runner-runner with their 84o. I feel as though i'm fairly tilt-resistant, but if I have another -15 Buyin session, I just may lose it. I was up to over $1000 for a little while, which was a nice milestone, but if this downswing continues I'm going to be forced to drop back down to NL25, which is a shame because i've managed to hang onto NL50 for a decent amount of time, and i'm so desperate to beat it (and I should be beating it!).

Ah well, enough of a rant I guess. For some good news, i've hit Supernova and i've amassed enough FPPs for a $1000AUD gift card, which i'm going to cash out to help with this period of unemployment. The FPPs are coming much faster now thanks to Supernova, and I hope i'll be able to maintain it next year (although I think i'd have to be playing NL100 to do that at my current volumes). One thing that really sucks is that I can't play the weekly/monthly freerolls anymore (which sucks because now I can play the weekly 75k for Supernovas), because they are at around 4am on Monday morning :( No fair if you ask me, they should do a different one for the other side of the world.

For fun, here's my killer graph, although it looks like my EV matches where I currently am, I don't agree that All-in EV is a good stat to look at, as a contibet with TPTK is +EV even if you are up against someone who flopped a lucky set. Also attached a SD/NSD graph as requested above.

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I feel you, man. I've been yoyo-ing around NL50 and NL100 for a good while now and can't seem to get a positive overall winrate despite getting it in, time and again, with the better hand.

All the best, and keep at it!
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Well, once again i'm forced to move back down to NL25. I'm so incredibly annoyed, as i've blasted away 3/4 of my bankroll is the last few weeks. This is not due to bad play, this is due to ridiculous suckouts and unlucky hits from villains. I have lost at least $750 in the last few weeks, which is 75 buyins. I don't even know what to say, i'm really really really really REALLY pissed off. What can I do? I keep getting my money in good and getting redrawn on the Turn or River, or I start out with a good hand and their idiot hand hits...

Hope my luck turns around, think I might camp NL25 for a while now, since it just seems my luck is better there.