Just another no limit blog...

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Hey everyone!

Bit of background. My names Phil. I'm from Sheffield - Steel City, England. I'm currently at university in Manchester. I love to play music particularly guitar. I love to climb. I love to sit in the pub with my mates. I love to play poker. :)

I've been playing for a few years now. Had moderate success in large tournaments - moderate failure in small tournaments. Made a few payouts that have brought in some much appreciated beer money but nothing serious.

Now I am hoping to get my feet back on the ring game ladder. My exams are coming to a close for this year and with a long university summer beckoning I'm hoping to make some money!

My plan is to start at NL10 BSS and see how far I can get. I won't be a workhorse about it. I'm going to play when I feel like playing rather to some schedule and if other things come up I won't play at all. But since I have no lectures for the next 3 months I imagine I will get through quite a lot of poker.

I'll update this post with a new graph every so often so you guys can keep an eye on me. Hopefully knowing I have to post it online will help me to keep motivated and will encourage me to keep learning.

Aims:
      - Build a big enough bankroll for NL25 ($625).
      - Get Iron Man status on Full Tilt in June so I get a bonus.
      - Have positive results in each of the main hand category's (premium hands, strong hands, low pairs, suited connectors).
      - Stick to NL10 BSS. Don't waste time playing other games and especially do not move up the limits without sufficient bankroll.
      - Review all key hands and try to find major leaks in my game.

Graph:
  • 8 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      no! no graphs please! :f_cry:
    • Igimoru
      Igimoru
      Bronze
      Gl in your aims :s_love: btw what kind of music do you play on guitar ??
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      No graphs!? Graphs are the best bit! *secret maths nerd*

I like to play a lot of rock and metal music: Guns n Roses, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Muse etc. I enjoy the songs that a fun to play rather than necessarily sounding good.

I'm a fan of a good game of Starcraft too if there are any Starcrafters floating around. Never was very good though!

Pokerwise I haven't started playing yet - I'm still re-reading the strategy articles to get into the right frame of mind and to remind myself how cash games work. I've had quite a long break from cash games so it is worthwhile I think.

I've got elephant ready but I'm not going to run it as I play because otherwise I end up fixating too much on the results and not enough on the play. Unfortunately this does mean I am without stats but my database has nothing in it anyway so the sample sizes would be small.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Elephant can tell you whos a nit and whos the maniac after like 50-100 hands
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Almost everyone here plays/played stracraft (that's the impression i get) :P

Good luck and keep us updated!
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      With elephant its an issue because the stats would be useful but on the other hand I spend every few minutes worrying about how much money I've made/lost. :evil: And focusing on short term results is not the way I want to play this. I'll give both a trial and see which I prefer.

I am still of the opinion that Starcraft is the best strategy game in existance. A few of my flatmates disagree because they can't stand the graphics. They just can't understand that its not the graphics that matter. Its the gameplay!!! :D
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      if its the graphics they are bitching about, they should check some SC2 videos. wow this is going to rape my computer

but anyway im a WC3 player4life =)

good luck with your aims :f_grin:
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      First few days update: :D

Off too a good start. Finding it hard to get back into the routine of playing ring games because for the last few months I have been playing tournaments. It can be dificult to stay motivated when you have no real time frame. It doesn't help that it has been rediculously sunny the last few days (unlike the usual England rain) so I have been catching as many rays as I can. :)

The main notable hand so far was a 3way pot with 6 :diamond: 6 :club: where I flopped a set. Got all the money in good on the flop and was drawn out on by pocket kings on the River. :evil: Such is the way of poker.

I am torn between playing poker late at night or going to bed early and playing more in the daytime. I am unsure which is more profitable because at night the Americans are out in force and are a little more fishy but on the other hand I am tired from the day and am at risk of becoming the fish myself. :f_cool:

Tomorrow is the start of June (technically now but not in America) so I will begin playing to get the Iron Man challenge. Hopefully this will give me a bit more drive to play more hands to get the required points. It has done in the past but I have to be careful not to play just for the points at times when I am feeling under the weather.

Good luck to everyone out there, Phil.