Climbing the limits

• JonKirk
      Aight! So I've been playing at NL $25 for some time now, and my bankroll have grown to mid 400's, but I'm a little hesitant to move up to NL 450 without knowing what I'm facing.
      NL $25 seems to be full of calling stations and generally weak players which have done me good, and I'm wondering if it will be the same situation at the NL $50 tables.
      So if any of you guys have some input on those tables I would very much appreciate it. :)

And I think it would be a good time to thank pokerstrategy for everything. It's a wonderful feeling to look back and see how much I have improved my game since I started. I'm still far from flawless, but I think I've come a long way, still knowing that there's an even longer way to go. I owe it all to pokerstrategy, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, and HoH v.1. The articles here got me off to a good start, but I can definitely recommend any new players to read some of the books recommended here, since it enables you to get deeper into the game and reflect much more on the game and how you and your opponents play.

But the best part of it all is that I'm really enjoying myself. Thanks guys!
  • 5 replies
    • vladnz
      How much its your hourly rate ?
      profit i mean
    • howard182
      NL50 wasn't good to me as a short stack, there seem to be a lot more thinking players there (although not necessarily good ones) and my edge seemed much smaller than at NL25 although this may just be a small sample size speaking (as after running first good then very bad at short stacked NL50 I decided to switch to big stack play). Primarily I seemed to encounter more intentionally deceptive players rather than simply clueless ones and tighter opponents generally.

And vladnz, profit at short stacked NL25 is nothing to write home about, playing these limits is about building your bankroll and learning in the process. If you're expecting quick and easy money from poker you'll be disappointed.
    • vladnz
      i did n mean that quick cash i meant about the bankroll :D
    • Stefan1000
      Thx to you Jon, because without users like u are it wouldn't make that much fun for us to work here.

We are aware that our NL area hasn't reached the standard of our FL area. But there will be a nice surprise for you within the next days about our NL area. Can't tell you more about that atm but it will be great.

And i think benjo or alaton will help you with your question regarding the limits.
      One can say that if you climb up a limit that your opponents will get better. Can't tell you a lot more because as you know i am a FL player ;)
    • Alaton
      I think you are playing SSS with that Bankroll. I would not get in a hurry with moving up in limits, it can really get frustrating at a higher level when the results are not kind to you.
      I would suggest you stay at NL25$ till you reached at least 500$ Bankroll and then take your first steps at NL50$.
      I don't know how many tables you are playing, but it is a good way to reduce the numbers of tables when playing on the new and higher limit in the beginning or just play your normal tables and replace one table by a NL50$ table, to get a little feel while not getting in Danger of scared money and stuff like that.

The SSS doesn't doesn't lose any value on the limits up to NL100$, your opponents are constantly going to pay you off easily, just the money gets bigger and you should psychologically be prepared for it and having a good and solid bankroll helps with that.

If you suffer a losing streak and start feeling uncomfortable, just switch back on NL25$ for a moment to get a good feeling again.
      Many people underestimate the big effect losses can have on your play.

All the best luck with your first steps on NL50$ !