I may have to consider breaking BRM

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Playing Full Tilt, currently have $50 and playing 1c/2c limits. This is the starting capital I received by passing the quiz.

However I'm very busy with university study and can play usually no more than 1 hour a day. This way I definitely cannot collect enough points to keep this money. I have 120 days to collect 835 points.

So I'm thinking of moving up a limit to either 2/5 or 5/10 soon, so points will collect faster. What do you guys think about this? It seems currently I don't have a choice.

My game has definitely improved significantly since I started.

Thanks
      Michael
  • 10 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      Hi all

Playing Full Tilt, currently have $50 and playing 1c/2c limits. This is the starting capital I received by passing the quiz.

However I'm very busy with university study and can play usually no more than 1 hour a day. This way I definitely can not collect enough points to keep this money.

So I'm thinking of moving up a limit to either 2/5 or 5/10. What do you guys think about this? It seems currently I don't have a choice.

My game has definitely improved significantly since I started.

Thanks
      Michael
      Well, I'd say try it. Like real slowly. When you first play there play max of like 2 tables for first say 200 hands. See how you get on doing this, if you start to drop on a per session basis you are simply not ready. Also, if you are not making a profit in your current limit and you've been playing there a while, then this probably isn't the best step and will ultimately result in bankrupt, and as far as I can tell, any rakeback paid in is yours, no matter what and also any profits, so if they take back the $50. You'll still have although dented bankroll, however small it will be. If you can keep your head and get a little luck to swing you up all the better.

But ultimately should you follow the strategy you should be able to recover using BRM. So do what you feel... That's just my advice.

Laters,

Danny
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Hi michael,mate look,gathering the points in the time needed it easy if u try SSS,also it is easy for begginers.Playing with ur starting capital NL2 BSS is ok too but as u see to gather the points there is kinda hard.
      Although i am myself a BSS player,i would suggest u to give a shot at NL10 SSS just for the gathering of the points.Then u could return to your NL2 BSS and go on from there.

BUT even if u feel that since the day u registered at PS.com u became the new Ivey,still dont brake BM.Breaking bankroll managment is the recipe for going bust.Higher stakes is better money but just be patient and u'll get there too.

That ofc is my personal opinion
      Good luck on whatever u decide to do

Cheers
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Initially I started playing 5/10c limits, first went up to $55, then down to $43.

Then started 2/5, but played it only for a short while before moving down to 1/2.

At 1c/2c limit, I went steadily from $42 to my current bankroll of $51.

Also just got a note from FT, they just released another $5 bonus into my bankroll.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Initially I started playing 5/10c limits, first went up to $55, then down to $43.

Then started 2/5, but played it only for a short while before moving down to 1/2.

At 1c/2c limit, I went steadily from $42 to my current bankroll of $51.

Also just got a note from FT, they just released another $5 bonus into my bankroll.
      Well done mate, sounds like you took the risk, realised you weren't quite ready, settled for the limit you felt most comfort for. Keep it up with the softly softly approach and keep going down seems a good way forward IMO. But really make sure you examine your play when you do this, win or lose. See where you were ahead and behind etc.

Hope it works out whatever you end up doing :)

Danny
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      A lot can happen in 120 days. Most likely you'll move up a limit or two in that time anyway and find collecting the required number of points a breeze.

Therefore my advice is improve your game and stick to BRM.
    • SallaMC
      SallaMC
      Bronze
      I think you should stick to the bankroll management, but try to play more tables. It should be more profitable. I am playing 6 tables most of the time, sometimes 8 tables BSS. On the micros, it should not be a problem for you to play 4 tables to start with, even as a beginner. Play tight though.
      There is enough maniacs on this limit which will push any two on any board. Just wait for your strong hands on you will soon be able to move up in limits.
      Best of luck
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      A lot can happen in 120 days. Most likely you'll move up a limit or two in that time anyway and find collecting the required number of points a breeze.

Therefore my advice is improve your game and stick to BRM.
      What he said. Stick with BRM. SSS is THE way to go for clearing the first $50 imo.

If you hate SSS then play NL2 and you should be able to go up a limit after about a month and you can try going up again near the end of the 120-day period if needed.

Play as many tables as you can without making bad decisions. You can also stay out of tough spots by playing strictly PS strategy.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Don't concentrate on the bonus... concentrate on your game.

Trust me I also thought 50$ would be a lot and I had to get it... now I can make more then 50$ per day, sometimes per hour.

Concentrating on your game etc. is the most important thing right now.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the great advice.

Will stick to BRM.

Now playing 2 tables at once, will try to play more tables simultaneously.

I now realize that I must play on tables with at least 8 players to be profitable. Otherwise I'll get eaten away by the blinds, like when I played on 6-player only tables.
    • SallaMC
      SallaMC
      Bronze

I now realize that I must play on tables with at least 8 players to be profitable. Otherwise I'll get eaten away by the blinds, like when I played on 6-player only tables.
      The starting hands chart for FR is different than SH. If you play SH (6-max) then you should play open raising and pretty aggressive. Since this requires a good amount of post flop skills, you should stay away from those tables for a while. Also, playing shorthand requires a much more conservative BRM than FR since swings will be more intense. I guess some players even have a 50 stack rule there.
      So long story short, you made a good observation here...