Time to go pro?

• ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      Just finished my first month of attempting to approach poker seriously--using BRM, reading strategy articles, watching videos, etc. I played very briefly at NL2, clearing the $50+$50 bonus on FTP and then moved up to NL5. There I played the majority of my hands for the month, which amounted to ~75k hands. Think my results are good enough to go pro? ;)

More seriously, though, I just played ~75k hands of a very easy game and still just barely broke even, and would greatly appreciate some feedback on my stats. Can you infer any obvious leaks from my stats? Any stats that aren't really where they should be? I feel like I'm playing fairly consistent, solid poker most of the way through and yet I'm still just barely treading water. The PokerStrategy bonus and the rakeback (combined with the fact that I put in 2.5-3k hands per day) made me enough money that I can soon consider moving up to NL10, but I'm hesitant to do so because it doesn't seem likely that breaking even over 75k hands can be mere variance. Any advice or criticism would be much appreciated.
  • 18 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      All those hands in one month? Maybe you are playing too many tables. Post a graph, that might help a bit.
    • ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SalamiandCheese
      All those hands in one month? Maybe you are playing too many tables. Post a graph, that might help a bit.
      I usually play 8 tables of SH NL5. It gets a little bit fast sometimes, but I don't feel like I'm playing significantly worse than I play when I 4-table. I've considered that possibility though and I've been playing more 4-table sessions recently to test that out. After I play for a couple more weeks I can analyze my sessions and see if my 4-table results are much better than my 8-table results. Thanks for the suggestion, and here's a graph for this month:

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      You must have gotten a lot of rakeback.
      How did you play so many hands?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      If youve played that many hands with 8tbls you must be playing crazy amounts of hours a day.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Hmm... Time to go pro ? What do you mean by pro ? You want to be pro by playing break even ? I'm confused what are you talking about here ?
    • ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      Hmm... Time to go pro ? What do you mean by pro ? I want to be pro by playing break even ? I'm confused what are you talking about here ?
      It was a joke, which I obviously didn't communicate very well ;) . "Pro" is short for "professional", i.e. you play poker for a living. Given that I'm making 0.01BB/100 at NL5, I am obviously not able to go pro :P
    • ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      Playing 8 tables (which, on FTP, takes me about 10 seconds to start--lots of tables at the right limits and their buy-in options are quite convenient) I tend to get somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700-800 hands per hour. Given that I've played ~75k hands this month, that averages out to something like 2.5k hands per day, or roughly 3.5 hours. It's a lot, but it's the summer and I have a relatively free 4 months so I'm trying to make a serious attempt at getting good at poker.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Man watch videos i am sure you have few huge leaks in game playing break even 75k hands at NL5 SH.

I found nice raked hand race at one site for Party Poker so i play last 14 days quite a lot NL5 there. At start i also played FR tables but realized i play much better SH i lowered a bit number of tables(from 16-18 to 13-16) and play only SH NL5. Here is my graph and i run at 19BB/100 made 38900hand in 43,5 hours which makes almost 900hands hour and hourly winrate 7$/hour without bonuses(which will add aprox. 5$/h).

Graph is nice last 3 days i play only SH and run there 30BB/100 :D

So as i said you must have huge leaks(only if your EV graph is +200$ and you got many bad beats) my advises watch videos from hasenbraten and others read some articles and try again,

slikec
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      If you're trying to get better, then stop massively grinding 8 SH tables breakeven :)

You need to analyze your game more. Don't think I've seen you post any hands? Do that for a start ;)
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      :) I was kidding too. You shouldn't play that much tables. Try to reduce the number of tables to 3-4 and make sure that you tile them so you can see all the cards and tables.
    • ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      If you're trying to get better, then stop massively grinding 8 SH tables breakeven :)

You need to analyze your game more. Don't think I've seen you post any hands? Do that for a start ;)
      Fair enough, point taken. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to drop down to playing 4 tables and devote some time after each session to posting about any hands I wasn't sure about, etc. Hopefully June brings some better results :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      take your winnings to the thunderdome and play HU vs phil ivey
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      u obv are very likely to have many leaks when b/e at NL5 with 75k of hands which is a very very good samplesize.

my advices> as was said try to analyze more, read more here, other sites, books.. and play less!! try to play more creatively, less conventionally /although not sure abt NL5.. basics should be maybe even best.. try to beat the game, not to strive for some bonus clearences.. it has some sense later, when u grind a lot to make thousands of $, but not on NL5.. u just need to improve and climb higher the limits asap, at least to NL100, when there are more thinking plrs, regulars, etc /where more of a game starts, imo/

/btw... 75k month on SH.. could be one of the most in whole community, and only NL5! .. doesnt make sense, i really think u must be playing either too much in a box, or just overworked, hence very readable

so just take it more easy.. its always just a game, but esp. at these microlims, just stop taking it as your potential source of income for now and play just to gather these "chips" and kick other's asses..

;)

gl!
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I don't really have anything to add, except follow what these guys said and you'll get on fine.

Plus, I am slowly becoming a forum whore, so gave me something post.

You guys will have to start staying up later... Lol
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Stick strictly to PS strategy at NL5 and play less tables; post hands for evaluation. Learning to play better will bring more benefits long term than aiming for massive rakeback.

@Bum: Whats a forum whore?
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Someone who makes a lot of posts lol.....
    • ptmx
      ptmx
      Bronze
      LastNail and Brood,

Thanks for the advice. As tempting as $40-50 in weekly rakeback is, I suppose I am much better off playing less tables and spending a lot more time analyzing my game. My tentative plan for June is to stick to 4 tables, cut down to only 1k hands/day or so and post the HHs from any big hands that come up.

I hope to return in a month with a much nicer graph :) .
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Some suggestion from noob to noob :P

The one thing that is helping me out quite a lot is that I'm reviewing my game daily, I do usually two sessions per day which I analize straight after they're done, and I write down all. This past couple of weeks I've ended up playing 3/5 hours and spending on average an hour a day reviewing, writing, reading.

Look at how you lost the money, start watching the worst hands of the day to see if you could have played it better and then check how many times you enter the game, with which hands, in which way.

Writing helps you a lot or, as someone suggest, explaining to yourself and recording, but I prefer the writing :P
      In short, by putting down the words you have to further formulate the concept you've observed and as such you have clearer understanding and the result sinks in you deeper.

Be honest, admitting mistakes doesn't hurt your ego as much as not admitting it hurts your wallet. Not saying you're a fool, but I've done it myself, sometimes you simply don't want to admit that you've played the fool and lie to yourself, doesn't work :)

When reviewing your plays think of the WHY you've done such a play, what was your mood, how was your game until then. YOu might tilt and not notice. Review your psicology.
      So far I've experience tilting due to bad beats, might simply happen that you get pissed and want revenge, you'll pay it dear.
      You can have a nice upswing and become overconfident, you loosen up and you're toasted.
      I was quite impressed when I came through boredome tilting. After half an hour when I didn't received a playable hand I've started playing off my strategy just to enter the game.
      There might be infinite reasons why you tilt, try to address these as could lead to quite some leaks.

Hope this will help and give you some idea to start, good work!