Slowplaying AA preflop: raise/call & call a raise

• 4bur
      4bur
      Bronze
      Hello, fellow pokerstrategists!

As will probably be the case with my posts more often than not - a dumb question:

I've seen quite a few hands, where pocket aces would be slowplayed via a raise/call line pre-flop against a re-raise.

Maybe there is some logic behind it, in the sense that if you raise/call AA you are usually heads up vs some guy who thinks he has a strong hand, but in reality is behind (KK can also be played like that, but with KK you can never be 100% sure that you are ahead). Presumabely, this is flawed, b/c you want value right away, but a lot of people would do that just to pretend that they've got something weaker and induce bluffs on the latter streets. So, do you think does such a move make sense, and in what situation (limits, position, players)?

Another, somewhat different slowplay line is calling a raise or re-raise with AA. What's your take on that?

Thanks for everyone's opinions!
  • 8 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Well if an opponent has KK it is likely that they will go broke preflop.

But there is some logic - against good opponents you might induce a cbet from them which you can take advantage of.

On higher limits it is also possible that calling a raise in position will induce a squeeze from the blinds.

But on lower limits I still think that reraising/shoving is a good idea because the opponent are just so bad ;)

-Jack
    • 4bur
      4bur
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008

But there is some logic - against good opponents you might induce a cbet from them which you can take advantage of.

On higher limits it is also possible that calling a raise in position will induce a squeeze from the blinds.

But on lower limits I still think that reraising/shoving is a good idea because the opponent are just so bad ;)

-Jack
      I meant that Hero has KK and tries slowplaying, rather than the opponent.

So on lower limits we hope for a 3-bet/push from the opp after our re-raise with AA, because the opponents are so bad? But most bad opponents seem way too passive and scared to do that. If, on the other hand, you show weakness, they jump at you with anything remotely playable post-flop. Or not? :)
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 4bur
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008

-Jack
      I meant that Hero has KK and tries slowplaying, rather than the opponent.

So on lower limits we hope for a 3-bet/push from the opp after our re-raise with AA, because the opponents are so bad? But most bad opponents seem way too passive and scared to do that. If, on the other hand, you show weakness, they jump at you with anything remotely playable post-flop. Or not? :)
      Sorry didn't read it right, just woke up :D But KK is sometimes possible ;)

Well the opponents are bad, and in general passive - but we don't want them going to the flop with a hand like JT to then get sucked out by a 2 pair.

But imo it's up to the opponent were playing. If they never fold to 3Bets, then 3 bet! If you think they will fold and you put them on a weak mediocre hand then it could be possible. But be careful on some boards that could beat your AA, KK
    • suhkam777
      suhkam777
      Bronze
      From my opinion, homeless shelters are full of people who slowplayed their aces.
    • Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suhkam777
      From my opinion, homeless shelters are full of people who slowplayed their aces.
      :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I see no need to slowplaying such hands, some players will get in with worse because they suck, other - because you 3bet them with wider range than aces/kings so they'll get to 4bet/call push with wider range too.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      b/c flop c/r turn :D .
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suhkam777
      I must remember to use this quote for my signature sometime :D