Hand of the Day - Part XIV

• Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3:heart: , A:heart: .
      [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], [color:#CC3333]Button 3-bets[/color], [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5:heart: , 4:diamond: , 2:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]Button bets[/color], Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]Button bets[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises[/color], [color:#CC3333]Button 3-bets[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero caps[/color], Button calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 8:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets[/color], [color:#CC3333]Button raises[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero 3-bets[/color], [color:#CC3333]Button caps[/color], Hero calls.

Tell me what you think? ;)

Hand from a german PS tag.
  • 7 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Well played i would say - preflop i won't say much as i never played shorthanded myself, although it is quite important when deciding the villains handrange - i will return to this in a little while.

The flop is in my opinion the most interesting part of this hand:
      We got lucky and flopped the 2nd best possible hand with no draws possible for any hand which would 3-bet preflop (i would say TT+, AJ+, ATs+, KQs/o. Probably overrated, but better be safe than sorry - :) ) - 63 is definately not in his handrange unless he's a complete maniac.

Now why don't bet the flop? BB has the initiative from preflop and will continuation bet maybe 80-90% of the times and fold to a raise if he missed the board and is stuck with overcards = a fold most of the times. By just calling we can hope that the BB follows up on his cont bet on the turn = 1/2 BB more than raising the flop (in the cases where he missed the flop).

On the turn it's time to get some money in - we must get a little value from our monster and hopefully he hit the Q on the turn - which it looks like he did :) Ofc cap here.

The river card doesn't pair the board so now we got the 2nd nuts and can cap it down again (again note: he can't hold 63 or 67 with his preflop play, so we got the best hand 99% of the times here)

If i should make a guess on what the BB held i would say QQ. Can't see how he could cap/call a cap with anything else
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      "Always play your made hands aggressively from OOP!!"

But I think here, that would not be right. Hero has played it well, for the reasons that Mugge suggests. Villain cannot have the best hand if he doesn't hold 36 or 67, and he cannot play preflop like this with those hands. Unless he wants to make us rich. Hero lets the turn card improve Villains hand, and bets hard after the check/raise. Villain has to be wrong, but can't believe he would be beaten on this board. Against the right opponent, this has to be correct play.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Unless he also has A3? That would be a laugh.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      So stefan :)

was it really well played or do you have some inputs to add?

Regards
      Mugge
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Ok here we go:

First of all the line check/call flop - check/raise turn is not good!

Ok we have the best hand here i guess 99% of the time. There are perhaps 1% idiots out there that would 3bet with 63. So our question is how to extract the most value out of this hand.

2 problems with the line choosen here(c/c flop - c/r turn):

1) Our opponent will often fold A high here against a check/raise on the turn.

2) Our opponent will often check behind against a check on the turn.

Standard: check/raise flop and bet turn. it is the same line we would use with a draw. So very often people don't think we have strong hand if we check/raise the flop here. They would expect us to go for the check/raise or something else. The good thing about this line is that he sometimes will also 3bet the flop with overcards like AK,AQ but will get the cap instead.

So check/raise flop bet turn and our opponents will have a much harder to time to give us a certain range. Don't try to slowplay here.
    • kombi
      kombi
      Bronze
      Is c/c flop, (donk)bet/3-bet turn a possible line against aggressive opponents?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I know that this is mentioned as a possible option in the german board. THe problem with the donkbet is that if a scare card comes up on the turn he will often fold. And he will call down the same hands against both lines in general.