[NL20-NL50] NL50 - 87s, limped pot

• MaestroOfZerg
      CO is a 35/5/0.5 fish, down almost 1k$ over 6k hands.
      BB is a 13/10/3 nit (probably a reg), winning somewhat big over ~800 hands.

Given that I've been isolating the fish relentlessly before and that he doesn't like to fold, i chose not to build a big pot oop with a hand that can't make a TPGK+ kind of hand, and just limped behind to see a cheap flop.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 7.
      2 folds, CO calls $0.50, BU folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 5, 7, A (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($1.50) 6 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, BB calls $1.50.

River: ($6.00) 4 (3 players)
      Hero bets $4.27, BB raises to $18.51, CO folds, Hero calls $14.24.

Final Pot: $43.02.

Flop : nit probably would have folded to a donk but not the fish, and then i still dont know where i stand on the turn but the pot has gotten bigger and i'm still oop.

Turn : picked up a one-card OESD, but i wasnt sure i had any fold equity against the fish, probably could have bet to inflate the pot in case i hit on the river, but given that nobody had bet the flop i didn't think i had much implieds.

River : made the 2nd nuts and led out (probably should have made it bigger) in case somebody wanted to call me. I got raised instead.

As played, obviously i'm never folding against the BB who literally has any 2 cards. I don't think he would have raised a small PP or random connectors preflop, so he could have spiked a set or two pairs along the way, and decided to slowplay it for whatever reasons. He could have a worse straight with a 3x. He could have the same straight with 8x. Or he could have 98 and crush me.

Not sure a nit would go broke with anything else then 8x here, but given the action maybe he calls a small 3bet with the rest. I doubt i can push him off a chop though. If i 3bet small for value and he shoves i wont like it but i cant fold that , can I ?

Nit has ~30 WTSD and ~72 W$SD, and we're ~150bb deep in that small unraised pot.

I ended up taking the low variance approach, which i do too often, i'm working on it.

From a purely +EV point of view, I know it's a somewhat grayish area but i'd like your input.

Did i miss something ? What's my line ?
  • 2 replies
    • TheBrood
      I like your line but I dont see how the nit has anything other than 8x or 89 in this spot. He knows you are on 8x so why does he raise so big? He either wants to push you off your 8(not happening) or he has the nuts.
    • Kaitz20
      campliting sb is fine, but on that board I´d prefer leading out and take down the pot
      If you checked flop then you should bet turn for value and also you take pot down a lot of times, river bet/call is fine, although you´re splitting it a lot of times.