This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Raising 4 protection

• jpbothawyn777
      jpbothawyn777
      Bronze
      Hi

I am strugeling with the concept to raise 4 protection (limit holdem) since sundays coaching. maybe i understand the concept wrong so let me explain how i understand it first.

I think it is when u have a made hand and raise to make it harder for somebody with a draw to call, so u may knock out somebody.

Now heres my question whe know a strong draw(or even a flush draw) will call us so if we raise. So why do we still raise if we r just making the pot bigger, and the opponent will more often than not hit the turn or river? Surely it might be better to play a weak made hand?

If u have any links i can read please post it.

Thanks

Jean-Pierre
  • 1 reply
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Actually against a flush draw he will more often DON'T hit the turn or river.

He will hit his flush draw about 35% of the time. So our goal is to isolate the draw and to force him to make a bet call (perhaps 2bets) but it is best described in the article: Protection 2.1 [unfortunatly gold article]

The flop structure is very essential for Protection!

Take a look at the hands i posted here

Always think, if there are a lot of cards that can become dangerous for your made hand.

Examples:

Board: 227 - You are holding A7 you want to protect directly on the flop!

Board: 9TsuitedK - You are holding AK but and you have TPTK but you want to protect your hand against all possible draws.

Best regards,
      Stefan