Lost it all..what a newb

• Titicamara
      Titicamara
      Bronze
      Last week, I started with the initial seed money $50 at Full Tilt Poker. On my first night, I was winning big, I went up as high as $470++. I was getting all the cards all the luck. And then, thats when it all went wrong.

Seeing my enlarged capital, I became inpatience. I became greedy, wanting to earn it all in the shortest amount of time. I decided to play loosely, not waiting for good hands, I just played with instinct and luck (which I don't have). Until yesterday, I lost it all, the full $470 plus the seed capital. :( How stupid. One day was I need to lose everything. I did read the articles, poker books and poker videos but yet I didn't follow any of them when I was playing.

Now I wonder if am I destined to lose money in poker to be those fish you all so loved. Should I deposit with my own money and retry? Will I change if I am playing with my own money? Ha...
  • 18 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

[ ] BRM :( .

I suggest that you read the articles about self-control and Bankroll management, a wise idea would also be to set the table restriction limit, but FTP doesn't offer that :( . So yes, you should deposit if you can control yourself from playing outside BRM, it's a bit hard playing at micros at the beginning but at least you can't go broke ;) .

Regards,

Primzi
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hello DevilChess,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you have learned your lesson. If you play beyond your bankroll and get lucky, you may earn very fast. However, when things don't go your way any more, you lose much faster. That's why you need to stick to bankroll management. Please don't wish to become a millionaire after one night! You should only deposit if you can make sure that you will never deviate from proper BRM again.

Kind Regards,
      thunder
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      If you can make that much money in a day starting with $50 you sure can deposit your own money. Just use bankroll management, and stick to the SHC.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      with good BRM he will never make from 50$ into 470$ into one day :f_love:
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Well the OP got what he deserved for tilting and not following BRM. I hope he learns his lesson and sticks to slow and safe bankroll expansion instead of one-try higher limit play again.
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      Yes please deposit more money.
    • kipperkalle
      kipperkalle
      Bronze
      meh, just yesterday I got back to 50$ BR :)

Took me almost a month to recover from my first 2 weeks idiocy (went down to 25$ at my lowest point).
    • Titicamara
      Titicamara
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miskokvo
      with good BRM he will never make from 50$ into 470$ into one day :f_love:
      Exactly. I became impatience. I didn't leave when I have more than 25 big blinds. I continued on and on. And if I waited for half an hour or an hour without any action, I will simply play, lose my discipline. :(
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Take it as a lesson learnt. You should have questioned your own actions when you lost 1/2 your BR at least.... unless you're able to learn from your mistakes, I don't think you should credit your balance.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Its taken me 2 and a half months to turn $40 into $500 - Only played 20k hands but still :/

BRM is the key to a successful poker career ;)

-Jack
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      Its taken me 2 and a half months to turn $40 into $500 - Only played 20k hands but still :/

BRM is the key to a successful poker career ;)

-Jack
      Luckboxing too :D
    • jupiterthegreat999
      jupiterthegreat999
      Bronze
      wow how did you manage to get to 500 so quickly, even blind luck wouldn't do that surely?

I have been playing for ages like months and my BR is only 200 dollars (50 starting captial 20 own cash). I had some good fortune like cashing in 5 sit and goes out of 7 i played, but never the same amount of luck being described here.

I started playing sit and goes and was quite successful only reading sklanky and played tight like my friend told me to.

I have lost a significant part of my rankroll trying to play 5 dollar doulbe or nothing and failed miserably, but i had the sense to move down pretty quickly before it was getting out of the hand. It looked like an easy game but it certainly was not.
    • Sk8Surf
      Sk8Surf
      Bronze
      50$ into $500 in day can be done i had lost my Br on UB won 1.75$ in freeroll trying to rebuild it turned 1.75$ into 103$ in 2 days playing low sit and goes starting at 0.25 cents on ub lol , its deff not easy but but for newbee sounds lucky ,i play as KAN8DNKRUSHER on Ub and was doing well with BRM i placed top 2, 7 sitandgoes in row with 1 lose and 5 in row before that top 2, the 7 were 1st 2nds and the 5 were (3 -1st) and (2 - 2nds ) but if he is newbee defenitly no BRM for sure that ovs why he lost it got in with players that are at higher skill level and just traped him broke the bank lol Donk eat Donk world in poker lol cash tables are bankroll destroyers thats what ive learned ,espec for newbee players , cause most dont know when to quite if i am playen low limit table and i find a loose newbee i mark him and keep track , only because i know it is short time for him to move up limits espc if he is getting lucky then once there at .50-1$ and up easy pickens . should be more carfule but that part of poker learning everyday . stick too BRM or you ll be a Broken ATM on tables GL next time at tables play , everyone loses learn from your mistakes and make better decisions ..
    • Titicamara
      Titicamara
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jupiterthegreat999
      wow how did you manage to get to 500 so quickly, even blind luck wouldn't do that surely?

I have been playing for ages like months and my BR is only 200 dollars (50 starting captial 20 own cash). I had some good fortune like cashing in 5 sit and goes out of 7 i played, but never the same amount of luck being described here.

I started playing sit and goes and was quite successful only reading sklanky and played tight like my friend told me to.

I have lost a significant part of my rankroll trying to play 5 dollar doulbe or nothing and failed miserably, but i had the sense to move down pretty quickly before it was getting out of the hand. It looked like an easy game but it certainly was not.
      Play big. With your $50, if you think you have the best hand, go all in. 50 into 100, 100 into 200 and so forth. Play with those with deep stacks. They love to gamble big. It only took me a few good hands.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Even if you get it in with Aces as an 80% favorite every single time, you would still have to beat expectation (i.e. get lucky) to double up more than 4 times without going broke. The only way to keep doubling up is to have your opponent drawing dead all the time.

So basically you're better off buying $50 worth of lottery tickets and save yourself all the hassle.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      I was like that, but now i do consider BRM. Even tho i do attempt higher stakes once in a while but if i lose i drop back down straight away.

you should do the same :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Titicamara
      Originally posted by jupiterthegreat999

Play big. With your $50, if you think you have the best hand, go all in. 50 into 100, 100 into 200 and so forth. Play with those with deep stacks. They love to gamble big. It only took me a few good hands.
      Hello Titicamara,

The problem seems not to be the lack of patience - but your initial lack of regard for bankroll management.

If you sat at one table with $50 you took your entire bankroll to the table by playing on stakes which are way too high for you.

With a $50 bankroll you are supposed to play SSS on 0,05/0,10 cent and not on NL $1/$2 ...

Unless you actually use bankroll management and play on the small stakes I would advise you NOT to deposit your own money. Patience isn't your problem. Bankroll management is.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I lost $150, 1/4 of my bankroll playing roulette the other day in a matter of minutes. Overall I've lost $350 on roulette, lost $200 one other time a few months ago. Winning big often makes a person just play more, which is what got me coming back for more and eventually losing. This is what happens when you gamble.

Yet I stick to BRM when I play poker. If you can't the gambling part of playing poker under control you're destined to give it all back. Too bad it had to be learned the hard way. Just listen to what others say about BRM and stick to it! :f_biggrin: