[NL2-NL10] Q9, nl10 sh

• 4 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I wouldn't raise here preflop out of position, just complete and see a flop and then decide if you want to play on with the hand. Q9s isnt that strong but good enough to complete.

Since you got to the flop this way well you see how much it sucks :P You get minraised and have absolutely no clue what this means. Unless you've seen him minraise with air before I would just fold since our kicker is bad and he can easily beat us with w/e he is raising with. The main mistake is made preflop I think.
    • Macias09
      Macias09
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      I wouldn't raise here preflop out of position, just complete and see a flop and then decide if you want to play on with the hand. Q9s isnt that strong but good enough to complete.

Q9s is not strong BUT vs this loose fish I think it has a top pair potential and can be profitable even oop. That was my thoughts when I played it.
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      I think that Q9s is good enough to isolate against weak BU's open limp. But I would raise to $0,60 (4BB + 1BB per limper + 1BB since we are OOP against limper).

You may c-bet this flop but I would c-bet less - $0,60 or $0,70 would be sufficient.

Since you have some showdown value, to avoid to be be raised (when you would have to fold), you can c/c the flop and donk a blank turn.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Macias09
      Originally posted by Fongie

Q9s is not strong BUT vs this loose fish I think it has a top pair potential and can be profitable even oop. That was my thoughts when I played it.
      It has top pair potential that is true, but the problem with isolating a big fish oop is that when you miss, which is pretty often, he will often not fold to your cbet (if you make one) which leads to spewing a lot of money. The reason you can raise other strong hand such as AK or AQ in this spot is because when you hit with these against him you almost always want to play for stacks with him, however this is not true with your Q9s where you often have trouble playing when you hit your 9 or even when you hit your top pair (like here).
      Remember that Q9s has top pair potential even if you just limp!! You can still extract value from him postflop in a freeplay you know :)

Isolating him in position with this hand is another story however, because you get to see his actions first (so you get a much better idea of when he's weak and when he's strong and can act accordingly, as well as being able to control the pot).

^ I don't see the point in c/cing the flop and donking the turn ?( we give 1card fds a freecard on the flop, or we give him 1 street of value just to be raised away on the turn anyway, and if we aren't we're faced with a sucky sucky river decision against his stack oop.