Essential poker literature

• v3rc3tt1
      v3rc3tt1
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,
      It's been some time since my last post on Pokerstrategy. Reason is I've been very busy with other aspects in my life. I won't have the time for serious play in the next 3-4 months and I really don't feel like playing some hands from time to time. I'd like to use my free time to take my understanding of the game to a totally new level so when I have time for the game I take it more seriously and try achieving something. Thanks to the articles and videos on PS I managed to beat NL50 fr(no stat most of the time so can't say amount of hands) in ongame which is nothing significant just nice pocket money :) . Unfortunately I didn't move upper as I was constantly cashing out. Couldn't beat SSS and low stakes sngs tho - how come :) . Got to some final tables on low stakes mtts($1-$10 buy in). In fact I focused on NL fr games and have played mostly that multitabling on pacific network and ongame sites. Not big fan of bigger varience for some reason.
      Anyway I've been thinking about ordering books from amazon soon and I"m going to need some advice as the only book I've read is the one about Negreanu's small ball. It's needless to say there are plently of poker books out there and I got no idea where to start from :) I guess I should begin with poker psychology as this is important and I really haven't worked on it. Like attitude towards the game, understanding swings from psychological point of view etc. So psychology, poker theory, math ...
      Thx in advance.
      Cheers :)
  • 9 replies
    • spadesnaces
      spadesnaces
      Bronze
      I suggest "The Poker Mindset". It helped me with the aspect of tilting, and how to exploit players tendencies when they tilt.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello.
      First let me share with you the greatest thought that one of the poker players came up with:
      "Its better to read one poker book ten times, than to read ten different books one time each".
      That being said, I dont think you've pulled the max from the strategy articles. I speak from proper experience, I've read them at least 5 times and I still find new aspects as I do reread them. The gold na platinum ones, to be exact, are priceless and are all you need to beat NL200+.
      I didnt want to limit myself to the articles so I've read tons of books.
      For cash games I'd recommend Harrington on Cash games.
      For math, sklansky of course - No limit holdem - theory and practice, The theory of poker ( sklansky again) - they tend to become kinda boring. If you want to dig even deeper, there are some books about probabilities(Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell), as well as mathematics of gambling(Edward O. Thorpe). I wouldnt recommend the last two to start with though, they are kinda harsh!
      Attitude towards the game, etiquette and so on - better read the biography of doyle brunson in his introduction in Super system, Barry Greensein's Ace on the river is also a interesting book for poker etiquette and psychology.
      The poker mindset by math hilger is a good book for psychology mainly.

If you need books for other gametypes, just ask ;) .
      My main advice still rests - the PS.com articles!
    • v3rc3tt1
      v3rc3tt1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkonebg
      Hello.
      First let me share with you the greatest thought that one of the poker players came up with:
      "Its better to read one poker book ten times, than to read ten different books one time each".
      That being said, I dont think you've pulled the max from the strategy articles. I speak from proper experience, I've read them at least 5 times and I still find new aspects as I do reread them. The gold na platinum ones, to be exact, are priceless and are all you need to beat NL200+.
      I didnt want to limit myself to the articles so I've read tons of books.
      For cash games I'd recommend Harrington on Cash games.
      For math, sklansky of course - No limit holdem - theory and practice, The theory of poker ( sklansky again) - they tend to become kinda boring. If you want to dig even deeper, there are some books about probabilities(Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell), as well as mathematics of gambling(Edward O. Thorpe). I wouldnt recommend the last two to start with though, they are kinda harsh!
      Attitude towards the game, etiquette and so on - better read the biography of doyle brunson in his introduction in Super system, Barry Greensein's Ace on the river is also a interesting book for poker etiquette and psychology.
      The poker mindset by math hilger is a good book for psychology mainly.

If you need books for other gametypes, just ask ;) .
      My main advice still rests - the PS.com articles!
      Hey there :)
      Yeah still much more to get from PS.com. The articles up to platinum are awesome. I kinda have all related to NL BSS backed up for personal use :)
      Well I'll be focusing on the psychological side - so I'll get all you mentioned + the suggested in the psychological articles on PS.
      I'll check the other recommended too. Can you give me more titles on cash?
      Cheers
      P.S. I've been following the thread of the Bulgarian community. When is it going to be up? Any coachings or videos in Bulgarian planned any time soon? Looking forward ;)
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      for ring games of all varietys doyle's supersystem #1 doesnt deal with online poker in particular well at all actually (was written before online poker) but it has alot of advice that stands the test of time

#2 is an update and includes online poker but if you are going to pick one to read id read #1

if you want to improve your MTT and sit and go play harrington on holdem 1/2/3

roy rounder aka rori (his last name escapes me) has a few books most are fairly dated there are some gems to be gleamed from inside though and i believe most of his books are digital format only
      i really wouldnt recomend buying these though but if a friend has a copy to lend its worth the read just not the price

and without breaking Forum Rule number 4 all the books i described are fairly easy to borrow online
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      @v3rc3tt1 -
      Well actually most of the books are either general poker, limit, or tournament stuff - as the demand on those is higher. The ones I mentioned are the only ones interesting enough to buy for cash games.
      The bulgarian community will be comming along very shortly, we are working full speed to ensure that! There will be BSS coachings and videos once its fully operational of course :f_biggrin:
    • OrcaAoc
      OrcaAoc
      Gold
      Math/Theory : 'mathematics of Poker' Chen + Ankenman
      Psychology : No real groundbreaking books out there, The psychology series from Jared Tendler on Stox Poker is the media you dont want to miss.
      Fixed Limit : You dont really need any because Ps.de content is very good in that sector, that is probably better than any FL book out there.
      No Limit : Phil Gordons 'little green book' is pretty solid.
      Tournaments : Full Tilt Poker Tournament guide , Winning Poker Tournaments - one hand at a time.
      Story telling : One of a kind, The Banker The Professor and the suicide King
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Life's A Gamble ; High Stakes and Low Life of a Poker Professional by Roy Brindley --- will in no way improve your game given that its an autobiography but its an absolutely BRILLIANT read, i literally couldn't put it down

Sabo :club:
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      "the poker mindset" is imo the only book you will ever need :)
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Can someone pls provide link to this one

Tournaments : Full Tilt Poker Tournament guide

I am member of FTP and also participate at FTP academy, so I asume I will have access to that.

Regards