takeing NL4 serious

• Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      Hi all ive got a bit of a problem its time for me to step down to NL4 ( .1/.2) i cannot take these stakes seriously idk if it is something subconciously allowing me to send good money after bad money at this limit or if it is just being called to the river with any hand.

I have tried thinking of this limit by way of BB only and not the monetary value 5 BB is a decent amount .10 isnt really

Ive tried playing these limits as tournaments and my $4 as chips not dollars and cent.

Nothing has worked so far wondering if anybodys got some tips or if i should just throw a couple hundred in my account and start playing at limits i am more used to, comfortable at, and besides this downswing generally more profitable at

I have made withdraws from my pokerroom account so would throwing 200 or 300 back in still count as my bankroll if its less than the withdrawls ive made or does it mean i hit ruin pretty much?

So yeh really looking for advice and opinions in any fashion thank you in advance
  • 11 replies
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Your bankroll is whatever money you are willing to invest in poker - it doesn't all have to be in your poker room account.

So IMO your first step is to determine what your BR really is, and choose your stakes accordingly. It's possible that you can't take nl4 seriously because you know that you have more money that you can add to your account, so a stack of $4 doesn't really mean much to you.
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      thank you for the input nafar i never really considered it from that point of view but that would definatley make sense and i am definatley bankrolled for were i am more comfortable playing

I think i will asses my actual bankroll as you defined and then choose were i get back in
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      I actually think if you are a winning player at higher stakes, you should be crushing NL4.... Maybe just yeah, don't think like "w/e its just 4 dollars i'll go broke with TPGK no matter what" or smthing like that, would be better to think in BB.

I am now playing NL5 in one of the rooms I play (I also cashed out and am going to deposit, but untill that my BR doesn't allow me to play anymore).. and well you just play for value, never slowplay and don't make tricky bluffs. The stuff you know should be enough to be a winning player there
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Volrath89
      I actually think if you are a winning player at higher stakes, you should be crushing NL4.... Maybe just yeah, don't think like "w/e its just 4 dollars i'll go broke with TPGK no matter what" or smthing like that, would be better to think in BB.

I am now playing NL5 in one of the rooms I play (I also cashed out and am going to deposit, but untill that my BR doesn't allow me to play anymore).. and well you just play for value, never slowplay and don't make tricky bluffs. The stuff you know should be enough to be a winning player there
      i thought i would crush NL4 too that may be a part of my problem aswell a semi aroggance as much as i hate to say

Ive tried thinking of them as big bets but im sure its probly in the back of my head bah whats .10/.50/or even $4

and yes i have noticed fancy poker goes for a crap @ micro

Thanks for your input Volrath
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I am playing the NL10 now and I am close to the NL25.
      But even when I played the NL5 with a roll of $200 I thought of my stack like it is 100 big blinds, not like it's $5. My goal wasn't to win more big blinds but to try and play some tight and aggressive game while observing for the calling stations and later trying to isolate them.
      When I moved to the NL10 I had some respect to the people but in about 1000 hands I started to think in the same lines as above - I got 100 big blinds, not $10 or twice the amount I wagered a day ago.
      I believe when I climb to the NL25 I am going to force myself to think in the exact same patterns. This might be hard for me cause $25 isn't that small amount of money for me. But It should be doable since I cruised through the NL25 with the SSS with a profit of like 5 big blinds per 100 hands so with the BSS it should be even better.

My advice is: try to think of the stack in big blinds no matter the limit. After all with a bankroll management of 25 BI for a limit if you lose a stack it's the same percentage/big blind amount in every limit you play.
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      thanks for the input mishkagg

you and Volrath have reminded me the importance of viewing my stack as bets and not real currency

i am going to redeposit my bankroll but am going to play NL4 until i can treat my stack as big bets

I think if i can conquer this the disipline will pay off in NL100 and above very well

I just have to keep hammering it in till it clicks
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Djvandal
      I think if i can conquer this the disipline will pay off in NL100 and above very well

I just have to keep hammering it in till it clicks
      That's the mentality I am always aiming for!
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      small update partypoker sent me a email offering $10 instant + $180 bonus to draw me back to there tables

its cheating a little bit because i know i will not deposit another cent there as i get no rakeback and its not tracked here so it forces me to take the cents seriously but im hopein in the long run it will hammer in a habit i can hang onto when i head back to my normal room
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      Join alot of tables - > wait for good hands -> TPTK or better = get it in -> win ? :D
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I tried to learn BSS a couple of times on NL4 but I could never take it seriously. Then when I went to Verbier this winter with only my slow little laptop and couldn't mass-multitable SSS I learnt on NL10. That for some reason I could take seriously partly as I was focusing on learning as much of the content as i possibly could.

That was despite having a roll of over $2k lol. PLayed about 8k hands before moving up to NL25 and about 25k NL25 hands before moving up to NL50. I think its different for everyone how much money they are happy with playing with.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Just deposit more money I guess