This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] AJ straight draw & backdoor flush draw (10nl FR)

• kexix
      kexix
      Bronze
      Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
      9 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $11.35
      UTG+1: $17
      MP1: $4.20
      Hero: $9.85
      MP3: $10
      CO: $2.45
      Button: $3.97
      SB: $9.70
      BB: $9.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with A J
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero raises to $0.6, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button raises to $1.1, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.5 (pot was $2.55), MP3 calls.

Flop: Q 8 T ($3.65, 3 players)
      Hero bets $1.8, 2 folds.

Is my 1/2 pot size bet the right play here? After i analyzed i'm not so sure
      button is low stacked so if he goes all in i'm pot commited and i'm oop if mp3 calls
  • 3 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      You hold a pretty strong hand on the flop with OESD, Backdoorflushdraw and an Overcard.
      The advantage of betting out is simply your foldequity, if you check BU will almost certainly go All-In as a continuationbet and you can't call this bet with your draw.
      By betting you of course have to call if he goes All-In.

MP3 isn't all that likely to call anyways, by showing absolutely no strength preflop, he should have a low PocketPair very often!

So I like the play, even though I don't like the situation preflop (calling the reraise), he gave you fantastic odds, but as he is ShortStacked, I would often have folded my Hand there.
    • kexix
      kexix
      Bronze
      ok thx for the advice!

How large must his stack be to call his mini raise with a hand like AJ or AQ ?
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      AJ is a really ugly hand to play against a reraise because you have big reverse implied odds if you hit an Ace and are dominated by a better Ace.
      In general I would always throw away AJ against a reraise, especially when we are OOP like we are here.

AQ is a lot better already and I would've called the reraise from the Shortstack with AQ.