Self-exile from Poker.

• Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Hello everyone.

I have decided to exile myself from everything poker indefinetly.

I am way to easily tilted, and in the past days I have experienced to many rediculous beats, making me tilt away even more money. I cant seem to control tilt at all.

Once again, I was doing great for myself. I even set a new bankroll high of $837. And once again, that was not allowed to last. Never is. :f_frown:

I'm not broke though, so some would say I am making progress. I have $305 ($230+$75 worth in summit points) left in my bankroll, but I cant decide what to do with it.

Anyway. I'm not gonna be on IRC for a while, (where I have been living and breathing for the last month,) and Im going to avoid the forum of this site so I dont get any bright ideas. :f_biggrin:

Before I kill off my bookmarks with the word "poker" I want to thank everyone for the continuous support! This IS a great community.

Thank you guys. :f_love:

Vargan exiled.
  • 20 replies
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      im sorry to hear so mate :(

Good luck with whatever u turn to
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hi Vargan,

Sorry to hear you decided to leave :( if you do come back I suggest reading the psychology articles before you start to play again. If you are unable to control yourself during a downswing, a break is probably the best idea.

Regards,
      Sarah
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Vargan don't delete me from skype and get a better internet connection. We'll go through this together ok ?
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Take a break, rethink and reevaluate and hopefully we'll see you back on track, vargan!
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      Vargan don't delete me from skype and get a better internet connection. We'll go through this together ok ?
      I wont delete you friend, dont get any ideas. :s_cool:

I have bookmarked this thread, so I'll come back here every now and then.

Thanks for the positive replies so far!

I noticed I was actually platinum after making this post yesterday. Somewhat ironic. :f_biggrin:

Because of the platinum status I will watch some videos and read the new articles, but I will stay away from the actual playing and staying away from reading about others success/failiures.

Anyone have any great revalations/stories about their own experinece with tilt, please share them here.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      Originally posted by roswellx
      I wont delete you friend, dont get any ideas. :s_cool:

I have bookmarked this thread, so I'll come back here every now and then.

Thanks for the positive replies so far!

I noticed I was actually platinum after making this post yesterday. Somewhat ironic. :f_biggrin:

Because of the platinum status I will watch some videos and read the new articles, but I will stay away from the actual playing and staying away from reading about others success/failiures.

Anyone have any great revalations/stories about their own experinece with tilt, please share them here.
      Seems to me you are overdoing it. You are quitting at platinum, this looks like a poker burnout, trying to achieve too much in too little time.

Baby steps is the way to go man.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      After tilt withdrawing my BR some months ago, I left myself just $48 to play with, decided I was best off starting from the beginning again, I was doin ok n I managed to get up to around $150, then some crap happened n I got drunk n tilted off my BR till I had around $34.. So I decided it was time to really put some effort in, it was a long grind but I managed to get up to $150 ish again, n things have mostly been looking up since then. Now my BR is up to $500 (well.. $499) so I'm gonna start again with the $10s n see how that goes. I have problems with tilt too n I find the best cure is simply taking a break and waiting till you're in the right mindset again.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Umm well you know I'm going through kind of the same phase you are, except I don't monkey-tilt as bad as you perhaps (:D ) but instead tilt in subtle ways that are harder to spot and redeem :P even though I don't doubt that I've lost a lot of money due to tilt it's somewhat reduced because I stop when I feel it coming, which also results in very short sessions usually.

You know I lost about 18 BIs (950-500) on NL25, moved down, and now am about -5 BIs after I moved down to NL10 making my downswing -23BIs in total. It's been hard to deal with - after moving down to NL10 I started doubting all my judgements and had troubles evaluating hands because I 2nd guessed all my decisions. I'm still here however, playing rarely and have had many long breaks along the way. Still not out of it yet but working hard because I know that I've done this climb before, I can do it again ;)

I hope you take a good break and do some other stuff, but that you're here in a week or two and start working on your game again, because if there's one thing you can be proud of I think, it is to say that you've been through such a huge losing streak and worked your way up again. Maybe we both can say it some day =)
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I've got a story for you:

There I was playing the NL10 SH with 15 BI BR and without reading a single article, I just played by feeling. So I pumped my roll up to $270 and I thought I was the shit! Then I got 3-4 bad beats like overpair vs overpair, set over set and such. My roll dropped to around $220. And Mr. Tilt came along so after 2 more hours of play I was down to $125 and I pulled the plug.

I took a week off, re-read the SSS articles and started playing the NL25. I decided the 1st of April is the starting day. Through April and May I had success and now my roll is around $330 and I am learning the BSS on the NL10 on Cake Poker.

I am analyzing every single session and hand in search of tilt, I am posting questionable hands and I am very wary of signs of me not playing like I am supposed to. I forced myself to do this mentally and in a few weeks it became a habit, like a sort of a cycle.

So take the break - reevaluate and come back and kick ass!
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Hi buddy!!!
      I've been away from the forum for a while, but this thing is worth a post!!!
      U want a tilt story? I wish I will never have one worth telling :s_p:
      Anyway my blog is a good way to look at poker and stay away from crazy tilt and downswing...
      I've been the best tilt boy in the planet... now I'm just an average player trying to play better eyiday
      ALL THIS to say............ DUDE JUST OPEN A TABLE AND PLAY PLAY PLAY ...and never give up...
      If u don't have the force, join us on the IRC, we'll spank u and force u to go back at the tables!!! :s_grin:
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      By the way ... tilt story don't help getting out of tilt...
      success stories neither
      just go through the psychological article... they'll gave u the right excuse to justify u'r tilt
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      I took the advice to return to the tables, but I chose to go with little stake.

My Pokerstars BR was $4.41. I played 3x$1.2 SNG's and finished 4th in two of them, leaving my BR at $0.81. Then I wanted to see what I could do with my FPP. I played 10x 210FPP satelites, and finished ITM in 9/10 leaving me with T$99.

I guess thats a good starting point for a new career attempt.

When the Everest newsletter comes next week, I might clear the bonus and withdraw whatever is left after that. Hopefully around $400.

I'm gonna read all the Psychology & Didactics articles now.

On a side note, I passed my Krav Maga grading, so I'm now a P1 in Krav Maga. :s_cool:
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Vargan, take a break, at least month or two, i am doing the same every year...it will get better afterwards for sure...better to have in summer, then play poker ;) :)
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by drachdudek
      Vargan, take a break, at least month or two, i am doing the same every year...it will get better afterwards for sure...better to have FUN in summer, then play poker ;) :)
      correction:) :)
    • suvalgysiu
      suvalgysiu
      Bronze
      Funny how when someone decides to quit poker because he sucks, everyone starts telling him to take a break and come back. Dirty greedy money-wanting bastards! Come on.. There's plenty of fish in the waters who are vualanteeringly (spelling?) giving their money away.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suvalgysiu
      Funny how when someone decides to quit poker because he sucks, everyone starts telling him to take a break and come back.
      Hey Mr. Coolpants, you just lost all credibility, forever. :f_biggrin:
      If you ever feel down, Im gonna come around and cheer you up too. :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by drachdudek
      Vargan, take a break, at least month or two, i am doing the same every year...it will get better afterwards for sure...better to have FUN in summer, then play poker ;) :)
      Thanks for the positive comment.

No worries though, its become alot better after I cut back 90% of my playing, started to read more and started doing other stuff more.

TheBrood said it. A pokerburnout. :f_mad:

Im gonna work fulltime (40h/week) for two months now, so it will be hard for me to play too too much anyway.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      You should try Fix Limit. It's a lot less tilt inducing game :]
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      You want a tilt/super downswing story? Take a peek at mine:

It happened about 14months ago or so. I was playing NL50 SH on OnGame and it wasn't going so hawt so I decided that the next time I get a whiff of an upswing I'll move straight to NL100 SH. Sure enough as soon as I noticed an upturn in fortunes I moved up to NL100 with about 12BI. And off I was ... 2k$... 3k$.... 4k$ .... life was good I was happy and bragging about how I'm smacking up donks on NL100. Well here's the turn in the story, not long after breaking the 5k$ milestone things started to go sour. Overpairs lost, sets lost, flushes lost, straights lost, even quads lost twice during that time! Every hand I had was pretty much worthless by the time I came to showdown. I started to play like one of those fish we all love to have to our right and pretty soon my BR was down to ... 400$. I just laughed out loud remembering how that felt. Worst feeling of my life. I dedicated everything to poker, PLAYING poker not LEARNING how to play poker. And promptly payed the price.

A good year later I'm playing SnGs but I've had quite a bit of success at NLSH micro and low stakes after that awful awful spewage. What changed? About 2 months after I hit that low I registered here on PS.com. It hasn't been a straight line upwards since but at least I've rebuilt my bankroll and cashed out over twice what I lost in that month. I've learned a lot about tilting from that experience and about the value of money as well. In a way that event helped me grow up as well. Yes downswings hurt as hell, especially when they cripple ur roll, but if u actually do bust ur roll u've done something wrong at the basics. BRM is KEY! Follow BRM rules and u'll never be crippled and never be desperate. Learn not only how to play a certain hand in certain situation but also do ur best to figure out why exactly did something make u tilt and how u can eliminate that effect. Then eradicate reasons u tilt one by one.

If u feel u should quit and u don't have what it takes then leave all of poker behind and stay away from it forever. U owe it to urself and anyone else who cars about u to do so as continuing with poker when it will only cause u grief and misery will effect others almost as much as u. However if u feel good and happy not only when u play poker but when u learn about poker as well u should reconsider. Find the root of ur problem and fix it. Then start building as well.

The choice is yours :) I sincerely wish u to make the right one for urself :)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Nicely written. I agree with you completely.