Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Limit Holdem Ring game
      Limit: $2/$4
      6 players
      Converter

Villain = LAG

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 8 K
      2 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 8 8 3 (4.5SB, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: 3 (3.25BB, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

River: 9 (7.25BB, 2 players)
      BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

Results:
      Final pot: 11.25BB
  • 16 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      hm i will try

preflop is standard (favourite over 3 random hands). flop also (contibet + good hand).
      i think hero played the turn well because he gets an extra bet on the river from hands like 44-77 or A high. there is nearly no risk because we are in position.
      but i think the flat call is only good if hero knows for sure that villain will bet the river again.
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      where can i find such villains?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      So as you already noticed the interesting part of the hand is the turn.

Preflop this hand is played according to the ORC.

The question here is quite clear. We have the best hand here 99% of the time so should we 3bet the turn or just call and raise the river again.

So the question should be why don't we 3bet the turn with our almost unbeatable hand instead we just call to raise the river again.

So as i said at the beginning our opponent is a LAG. But LAG (Loose, aggressive) doesn't mean that he is stupid. The board just looks like that we didn't hit anything and an aggressive player will raise here quite often.

This is almost the answer on our question. We have position here so everything is under control :D

With the move used in this hand we guarantee that he we get at least 3BB from him most of the time. Because most of the time he will bet the river again to get us out of the hand. Instead this line is quite irretating because he will quite often also call our river raise with hand he propably would fold against a turn 3bet. Also in the few cases where our opponent perhaps has hit the 3 he will put us on a hand like A9 and will fire a 3bet on the river at us thinking he has the best hand allowing us to cap ;)

The problem here is that a LAG will ofte raise here with the intention to fold against a 3bet if we show some strength.

So this hand is nice. But beware with such tricky plays without having a good read on your opponent.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      p.s edited cause i didn't know what im talking about
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Don't worry about saying something that could be wrong.

Talking about sample hands is the best way to improve your game. I would say 60% of my poker knowledge comes out of talking about sample hands.

So even if you are saying something that could be wrong just give it a try.
      If you have a question just ask. I will try to explain it more detailed then.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      what dose CO and ORC means ?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      CO=Cutoff is a position at the poker table.

The seat in front of the button, i.e., the last player to act before the button does.

Have a look at this article: Starting Hands

ORC is the shortage for Open Raising Chart. It tells you which hands you can raise when nobody entered the pot before you it is available at the silver area first. The concept behind this chart is explained in the Gold area.

The ORC is a bit looser then the SHC so you need a bit more experience to handle this because you are more often getting into close situations, that is the reason why you should start with the SHC.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      thank you stefan :D
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      np that is what we are here for :D

just ask.

The idiot is the one who is not asking or the one who thinks he has to make some stupid comments about someone who asks something
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      what's a Ring game ?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vladnz
      what's a Ring game ?

cash tables ;) (FR = Full Ring = max 10 players, SH = Short Handed = 6 players max)
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      Originally posted by vladnz
      what's a Ring game ?

cash tables ;) (FR = Full Ring = max 10 players, SH = Short Handed = 6 players max)

o i c so its just a regular Cash table with 10 players :D
    • tylies
      tylies
      Global
      Have a look at this article: Starting Hands

Hello I have been trying to look at this link. I belive that some of it is missing. Like the starting hands chart. Just thought i would let you know.

I really like this site and just wish I would have found it a long time ago.
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      You are still a "basic" member. You have to pass the quiz to become bronze and make this article available for you.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      But he pointed out another fix we have to do in the future.

It is not quite clear that this is just a preview. Often people think that this is the whole article when they see the preview because they don't have the necessary status.

I will try to address this to our it team.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ulek
      You are still a "basic" member. You have to pass the quiz to become bronze and make this article available for you.
      i did pass the quiz im a bronze member i pass the quiz with the NL and then switched to FL