Cold calling - Posistion - Hand range

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Hi,

I was wanting to know if cold calling is ever ok, or wether it should be something that should always be avoided. I know the dynamics of a 9 seater S&G change as players get knocked out and as the blinds increase. But for this thread id like to talk more about when the table table has between 9-6 players left.

The hand range i would like to disscuse is the following: AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ

In what posistions and what hand ranges is it ok and not ok to cold call?

How i understand and pessive things is that you want to avoid domination at all costs. If someone has open bet/raised you should be either folding or raising in the majoriy of cases? When the blinds are low you should fold more marginal hands like AJ and KJ than you would as the blinds are higher? Whilst also not wasting to many chips with raising somones opening bet with dominated hands?

I hope you understand the points in which im inquiring about? Sometimes i have a tendancey to start typing jibberish lol.

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      never coldcall, always 3bet : QQ KK AA

coldcall most of the time: AK AQ JJ (JJ mostly for setvalue here, be carefull in overpair situations not to stack off vs QQ+)

never coldcall: AJ KQ KJ (terrible reversed implied odds)

This is all in low blinds situation where you don't commit a huge part of your stack by coldcalling. I think the ABC strategy is not to coldcall with AQ either buth to fold it after a raise, coldcalling is sometimes OK though imo.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      depends of yours reads...

against some opponents is TT nuts against some opponents is JJ garbage or maximum 50:50....

if you are new ... you should play tight... to beat low limits is best strategy to play tight/ agresive

with more experience you can loosen up to maximalize yours profit ...

for higher stakes i think that tight is still +EV play ... but definitely you will gain more profit by playing loose agrasive .. but to play loose agrasive in higher stakes require A LOT of experience... coz you can play LAG and be fish and you can play LAG and be 1st in world ranking ..