[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh, KQs

• uuberpro
      Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:spade: , Q:spade:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, BU folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.70) 9:spade: , 4:diamond: , K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.67, Hero calls $0.67.

Turn: ($2.04) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.45, Hero calls $1.45.

River: ($4.94) 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.52, Hero?

Final Pot: $8.46

I decided to call preflop, because (edit: yeah, sorry, i'm OOP), and KQs has nice playability.
      Top pair on the flop, so I decide to just call him down, as raising would probably leave only the hands that beat me. Well, yes, the flush draw is possible, but that's basically it.
      As he is so aggressive, river is probably a call, right? Or should this hand be played differently?
  • 4 replies
    • Joshquan
      First of all you are no in position pre-flop, small blind is ALWAYS OOP, so im not sure weather a call is a correct, a fold is fine i think, but then i play full-ring so maybe shorthand its a re-steal?. As played it is far too passive, imo this is a definate raise on the flop to his c-bet, he could have anything.
    • roswellx
      Come onnnn, your hand is too strong against cutoff raiser !!!! Sklansky 2nd group !

Pre-Flop: Raise.
      Flop: Bet 2/3, should he raises, fold.
      Turn: Bet 1/2 maybe or fold in case he bets or raises.
      River: Not a dangerous card
    • uuberpro
      Ok, disregarding his stats for a while, the CO will usually call my reraise with hands that dominate KQ. Hands like KJ, QJ, KT, ... will be folded. So, why reraise?
    • Fongie
      First of all, don't 3bet preflop. KQs is not a hand you want to turn into a bluff, just because he seems loosish (19 pfr isnt even that much) preflop doesn't mean he acts loose to 3bets. By 3betting you only get into bad spots with your top pair hands. Calling preflop is good here even if we play out of position.

Postflop there are two options we have. We can either take initiative on the flop by raising to protect against the flushdraw, which can be fine against some opponents who are rather passive and probably won't 2nd barrel with their draw on the turn and take a freecard instead. This is also good against that kind of opponent because you don't like to call 3 barrels off of him since you could be beat, and by raising we could get to showdown more cheaply than if we just called down.

Against this guy however who seems very aggressive I think we gain most value against his range (which probably includes bluffs and many worse kings) by just calling down. But when you make that decision on the flop, don't 2nd guess it when you get to the river :) Definately call the river bet. Of course the :diamond: turn is ugly but it's more often a K than it is a flush.