Breaking BRM for HUGE fish?

• dcmcfyl
      dcmcfyl
      Bronze
      I normally play SSS at NL10 and currently have about $60 in my bankroll. Recently I was at a table with THE biggest fish I'd ever seen. VP$IP: 100 pfr: 46 WTS: 74 W$SD: 31, and he delightfully had a full stack with auto rebuy.. Quickly I was able to to double up through this fish using SSS. I decided after that that isntead of leaving the table I bought in for the max and planned on taking this fish's full stack. It worked out, but I didn't even realise at the time that I was competley disregarding bank roll managment. I was too exciting thinking about doubling up with a full stack. I later realised Iwas risking about 1/6 of my entire bankroll at one table. Is it wise to disregard BRM even if you're with the biggest fish you will likely ever see?
      Oh and if anyone wants some easy money, sit down at a table with Kitty664 on Full Tilt.
  • 20 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Nope because in the few % of cases fish will just keep sucking out on you and you'll tilt and end up losing your whole BR. It was a stupid move and you should never do it again regardless of how fishy the fish is.

Regards,

Primzi
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      No it is not wise. Fish can suck out on you easily.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      ftp has a feature where you chat with a pro

the pro happened to be allen cunningham and i asked him that exact question. he said definitely stay and make some money as long as you are comfortable with the money you are risking

and you obviously were

so there you have it
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Passing up on these opportunities is terrible decision making. Having six full stacks on NL10 to take a shot at a huge fish is more than enough I think.

I find that setting a stop-loss limit for yourself can be useful in these situations.
      A good stop-loss limit is the $ amount you can lose in this session without going completely batshit bonkers insane and/or regretting the whole thing later on, divided by 2.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      hmmmm i wouldnt say 6 stacks is enough, but maybe 10 for chasing fish ;) But it depends on how you feel and also how good your possible BSS skills are.

But if you feel comfortable with 6 stacks and maybe losing one, then i would go with it - just remember thats only 5 SSS stacks which you can regain in a session ;)

-Jack
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Chasing fish against BRM is a bad idea, first of all you play SSS which probably means that you lack experience playing 100bb deep so while there is one big fish at the table, probably at this point you are fish for regulars too. There is plenty of fish at micros so i don't see a reason why risk by breaking your brm when you could do the same without increasing your risk of ruin.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      a few things to consider:

-How many tables are at your table? Does the other players are good? Are you in a HU situation with a fish?

- How well do you know BSS?

- How well can you handle a suckout? Will you make a rebuy in case you lost your double up stack?
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I'd go for it but only try to isolate the fish and stay away from the other players.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Actually guy wasn't a fish I suppose. He didn't mention us the AF but, I think this guy was a Maniac not a fish. Fishes usually does not have pfr: 46...

Fishy (Loose, Passive). Voluntary Put Money in Pot % is greater than 33%; Aggression Factor is less than 1.50

Loose, Aggressive. Voluntary Put Money in Pot % is greater than 33%; Aggression Factor is greater than 1.50.
    • dcmcfyl
      dcmcfyl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      Actually guy wasn't a fish I suppose. He didn't mention us the AF but, I think this guy was a Maniac not a fish. Fishes usually does not have pfr: 46...

Fishy (Loose, Passive). Voluntary Put Money in Pot % is greater than 33%; Aggression Factor is less than 1.50

Loose, Aggressive. Voluntary Put Money in Pot % is greater than 33%; Aggression Factor is greater than 1.50.
      Basically, the way he would play pre flop was if someone raised, he would call pretty much with anything. If no one raised, he himself would raise, regardless of his position. I guess you could say he was a bit of a maniac though instead of a fish. He would take a shot at every pot even if he had something like 75 vs a flop of three overcards with multiple people in the pot.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      My answer is based on multiplying your roll and limit by 40;

No way in hell. I don't want 1/6th of my bankroll to dissapear to some moron who sucks out on me. That would be a major bummer. I'm happy I've doubled up through him and wait for another oppurtunity for someone like this to pop up. They always do.

My answer based on your roll and limit;

Sure I would. Free money. Its a risk but its easy to win money on NL10. This just gets me there faster. Bear in mind though that I know I can easily beat this limit using SSS or w/e.
    • tigerace999
      tigerace999
      Bronze
      HI everybody

good example for u people !!recently stopped playing sngs ,went to a cash table nl02/04 bought in for 2$ was very very fishy table; after three hrs built my stack upto 16$ and a bit then lost the whole lot in two suckout hands ,,who was the fish at the end of the day???LOL :f_cry: I am now rereading all the articles on sss, hadn't read many in the first instance as started sss and didn't like it!
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Well, if you would read at least the basic articles on SSS, you would know you have to leave the table once you double your buyin. So you were playing SSS with big stack and the result can be quite unpleasant as you got to find out by yourself...
    • tigerace999
      tigerace999
      Bronze
      hi
      i totally agree i should have left the table ,which i have since been doing with positive results ,think i just forgot i was on a cash table and not an sng,, i just wanted to show what it is to not stick to the strategy articles!

good luck all :s_biggrin:
      Bronze
      Either you play by BR management or you don't.

I personally think if you step outside of the boundaries of your BR management
      for whatever reason, you will be inclined to find other reasons to do the
      same thing down the road. The limits in BR management are there for
      good reasons. And IMO there is no way you should ever be stepping out of them.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I'm a huge fish at FL... Let's play FLHU for rollz :) ?
    • tigerace999
      tigerace999
      Bronze
      hello i love this site :s_biggrin:
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      My answer is based on multiplying your roll and limit by 40;

No way in hell. I don't want 1/6th of my bankroll to dissapear to some moron who sucks out on me. That would be a major bummer. I'm happy I've doubled up through him and wait for another oppurtunity for someone like this to pop up. They always do.

My answer based on your roll and limit;

Sure I would. Free money. Its a risk but its easy to win money on NL10. This just gets me there faster. Bear in mind though that I know I can easily beat this limit using SSS or w/e.
      +1
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      I saw this fish called Paul Wasicka and i followed him to a deep NL1k table but he sucked out on me :s_o: