Hero ($13.37)
      BB ($12.35)
      UTG ($9.83)
      CO ($13.24) 19/18 1.2af 190h
      BTN ($22.86)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: Q:club:

fold, CO raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, fold, CO calls $0.70,

FLOP ($2.10) 5:diamond: A:club: 7:heart:

Hero bets $1.50, CO raises to $4.30, Hero raises to $12.37, CO calls $7.94,

ok on the flop after his reraise i said to myself - either we split or i lose to AK. normally i would fold but i was really tired when playing this hand and just shoved. i forgot to check the stacks but if i had seen we are 136bb deep i probably would have folded. any ideas?
  • 6 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Don't 3bet with AQ unless you expect him to call your 3bet with worse aces. Against a guy who you expect to fold AJ- to your 3bet, don't do it, because the postflop play sucks (you can't avoid going broke with TP2ndK in a 3bet pot). You can either flat or fold - depends a little bit on your mood, your skills, how you feel, the weather... but mostly if you think you can play well against him oop - call, if not, just fold!
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      but his raising range from CO is fairly wide. isnt 3betting the better option even if i dont expect him to call me with worse. i could still outplay him postflop because his range is really narrowed. on the otherside if i call him i dont know where am i. and AQ cannot improve so monstrous on the board as some pp or suited connector or etc... so if i dont 3bet i really dont know how to play OOP with TPTK or just with A high :(

and about this hand... as i said i was tired otherwise i would fold but still my reads were correct. my point is inst 3bet justified?
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      You are missing the point silent.
      When you 3bet you do it to get value from your hand, If this tag's 3bet calling range is AQ+/JJ+
      You are 3betting with no reason cause he only calls with better hands then yours.
      outplaying him OOP will be very hard and you will often need to fire two and even three barrels to outplay him.
      If you don't feel computable playing AQ OOP against TAGS you can just fold it pf.
      Why do you want to put yourself in spots that you aren't computable with? :)

Please ask more if you don't understand. This is exactly the leak that you mentioned yourself in the Self study and management section.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      i think i really miss the point. how i am supposed to outplay tags then if folding AQ OOP is preferable.

how do u play OOP solig tag regs. folding always except pp's is not a solution vs thinking players imo?
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      So we agree that you don't 3bet for value? You do it to outplay them. So this brings us to the point that you 3bet as a bluff. I recommend that you try to avoid 3bet bluff because:

-You will need good postflop skills to continue the bluff if you do get call.
      -Bluffing is so unnecessary for NL10! You beat this limit easily but just playing ABC poker. it's really that simple.

How do you play OOP solid tag regs? You try to avoid playing against them OOP... :)
      When we are in front they know when to fold and they aren't going to pay us off with their weaker hands, whey they are in front they will play aggressively, whey will give us bad odds to call with a draw, and will put us anther a lot of pressure when we have a marginal hand.
      These guys are the worst and you should be one of them... :s_biggrin:
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Look at it this way

Opponent 3betcalling/4betting range > AQ > Opponent open raising range from CO

By doing what preflop do you get into the best spot postflop with AQ?

If you raise: Your AQ becomes a bluff because you don't want to get called. If you want to bluff a reg find something more deceptive that can hit big postflop (suited connectors, small pps). Obviously, you don't need to do this on NL10! And you also need to know what to do postflop!

If you call: You get to see a flop with a hand that has greater equity than the villains range preflop. Now you have to play posflop, but atleast you can find like 2-3 worse aces (at the very least) in villains range instead of only seeing AK when the opponent wants to play with us. Obviously, you need to play postflop here too and OOP. So if you're not entirely comfortable with that you can..

If you fold: You don't have to play postflop either with an equity disadvantage or advantage, but you will also avoid having to play postflop out of position against a "solid" reg.

Decide for yourself which sounds best ;)