Motivated to play HU NLHE.

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I watched a coaching video of heads up, on youtube. The guy playing was awesome, in 1 hour of playing (NL3/6 HU) he made around 4 buy-ins or so.

I've played Full ring, Short handed, and occasionally some HU; but usually only when I'm heads up in an SnG.

I'd like to start playing HU NLHE cash games. What fundamentals should I imply to heads up poker? What hand range should I have for open raising on the button?

Do any of you guys have experience in HU NLHE?
  • 9 replies
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Use your position wisely its like the most important concept I learned about HU play, because you have the button half the time (and the other half you are OOP) you need to learn how to play with and without it.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I just started spending some time on NLHU and it's very entertaining. You can contact me on Skype if you wanna talk some about it:
      andersdthomsen
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      I just started spending some time on NLHU and it's very entertaining. You can contact me on Skype if you wanna talk some about it:
      andersdthomsen
      I would love to but I don't have skype, as of yet. :(
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      Heads up play for me, is very organic. Sticking to a strict process of hands and other such like is not the best way to go. It's player dependent, situation and game dependent. Then all of a sudden before you know it, you have KK he has AA, and you're both all in and nothing you can do about! haha. so leave before that happens :D
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      Play your position
      Know your opponent

as someone said position is very key in HU

As a generalization if oponent is tight i go slighlty looser
      Oponent Loose i go slightly tighter

If oponent is timid i am agressive

If opponent is agressive i will trap and play the timid player

these are all generalizations though and very situational dependant
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      The guy you watched playing is a pro player, and a coach at cardrunners.(99% sure of what video you watched.) He made it look easy, but from my experience it is not that easy.

I would suggest getting good and experienced at shorthanded poker, before advancing to HU. You should also overroll your bankroll because HU is very variance-heavy.

Also, if you are even the slightest tiltprone, stay away. :f_cool:
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      The guy you watched playing is a pro player, and a coach at cardrunners.(99% sure of what video you watched.) He made it look easy, but from my experience it is not that easy.

I would suggest getting good and experienced at shorthanded poker, before advancing to HU. You should also overroll your bankroll because HU is very variance-heavy.

Also, if you are even the slightest tiltprone, stay away. :f_cool:
      Yeah he is a coach at cardrunners. He did make it look easy too! I've gotten a lot more into SH poker lately, I'd like to refine my game there but I feel very comfortable playing that. I get bored too easily playing FR.

Thanks guys.
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      I open 60% against some players and 100% against other... It all depends on your opponent.

Someplayers you bluff 80% of your hands, some players almost non..

It's not like playing SSS and stick to those "strategy-rules".
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      andersdthomsen
      I would love to but I don't have skype, as of yet. :(
      Well download.. ;)