[NL2-NL10] NL 10 overstacked with TT on CO - tilt?

• Ratinha
      Ratinha
      Silver
      Hi,

I had doubled up twice in a round from $2 to $12 against the same player (I didn't leave after the first win to $5 to wait for the next BB, as suggested in a video).

Then this same player, who was playing every pot, reraised my AK from mid pos, I called and he got a set for his TJ, driving me down to around $4.90

I still should have left, but I stayed and got this hand:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $1.25
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG1:
      $11.82
      UTG2:
      $13.83
      MP1:
      $3.19
      MP2:
      $2.07
      MP3:
      $5.65
      CO(Hero):
      $4.63

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, T.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.7, 4 folds, UTG2 calls $0.60, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($1.75) 5, Q, Q (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $1.03, UTG2 raises to $13.13(All-In), Hero calls $2.90.

Turn: ($18.81) 2 (2 players)

River: ($18.81) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $18.81.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and tens (T T)
      UTG2 shows three of a kind, queens (Q J)
      UTG2 wins with three of a kind, queens (Q J).

UTG2 is the very same player. After the hand I felt I should instead have checked on the flop and folded on the turn, and still leave with a profit of $1.60. Would that be correct?

thanks, R
  • 5 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi there,

It's ok to wait for the round to complete before leaving when you double up. Of course, playing a bigger stack is a little more difficult.

This was a tricky spot and I don't think your call was wrong. The 2 Q on the board make it very unlikely that villain actually has a Q. In general I'd shove as you did. Nonetheless, considering your incresed stack, a bet/fold flop would also be very reasonable in my opinion.
    • Ratinha
      Ratinha
      Silver
      Thanks, Dandycal.

I reasoned on the unlikeliness line, but later I thought that if he had a smaller pair he'd have raised preflop, as he was a bit maniac. A call to the BB and to my bet would be a sign of something like suited connectors, ace suited or A-rag. I have to think more about their possible hands.

E boa sorte pra vc e seu irmao na sua nova carreira!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Flop bet is correct to protect against him hitting a J, K or A. However, when he shoves, think to yourself "what do I beat here?" and "would he shove with those worse hands?".

A c/r is usually a strong hand too.

If I've seen him bluff-raising I prob call, but if not, I prob fold. I am wary nowadays of going broke on TP, not to mention 2nd or 3rd pair.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ratinha
      Thanks, Dandycal.

I reasoned on the unlikeliness line, but later I thought that if he had a smaller pair he'd have raised preflop, as he was a bit maniac. A call to the BB and to my bet would be a sign of something like suited connectors, ace suited or A-rag. I have to think more about their possible hands.

E boa sorte pra vc e seu irmao na sua nova carreira!

Oh, I suspected you were Brazilian, with that nickname of yours =D Muito obrigado!
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello Ratinha,

welcome to the forum!

When you get as much money as 120BB you have already deep stack and should play according to BSS, which is quite hard for SSS player, so if you're not comfortable with postflop it's better to just leave the table. With double stack(40BB) it's still ok to wait to be blinded out, but with 120BB you have to be cautious even when playing KK+ because opponents have a lot of implied odds on you.

This hand is well played. Before the flop you have to raise and on the flop you are heads-up and it's very unlikely the opponent hit a Q here. And (specially if he's aggressive as you said) he can raise many worse hands here, pocket paris 22-99, 5x, flush draw, maybe even overcards such as AK/AJ, hard to say without statistics, but I'm not giving up TT on QQx board. If board would come KKx or AAx then I might have folded, but not on QQx.

It's really bad luck opponent hit his trips when you had double stack, but next time luck will change. ;)

Btw, please remove the results as they are not important for evaluating the hand, but can affect opinion of the players who discuss the hand.

Regards,
      burek2000