This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Play On The Flop

• CyberSmudger
      CyberSmudger
      Bronze
      Wotcher, my new poker buddies!

I think I've got the pre-flop play off pat: I fold unless I've got a damn good reason not to.

However, I'm not so sure how to play on the flop.

For example, I was dealt J10 in the BB. Pre-flop, one opponent limped in and I checked. The flop was AJ10. As I had two pairs, I bet. However, my opponent raised. What should I have done next?

What I did do next was go all-in. Of course, I lost, otherwise I doubt whether I would be posting this message. My opponent had KQ.

Yours, Pete (CyberSmudger)
  • 2 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi CyberSmudger,

With two pair on flop, against a single opponent I'm bet/pushing. It's really rare that villain flops a nuts straight like that, he could be re-raising you with top pair, middle pair, straight draws etc, against which you are always ahead.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey CyberSmudger,

welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board!

In a freeplay standard is to go broke with top pair and J kicker or better hand. Since bottom 2-pair is much stronger hand than TPTK you played well to bet/push this flop. This time opponent unfortunately had flopped the nuts, but next time he will pay you off with Ax or some kind of a draw.

Keep posting hands you are unsure of, it's one of the best ways to improve the game.

Regards,
      burek2000