[NL2-NL10] Play On The Flop

• CyberSmudger
      CyberSmudger
      Bronze
      Wotcher, my new poker buddies!

I think I've got the pre-flop play off pat: I fold unless I've got a damn good reason not to.

However, I'm not so sure how to play on the flop.

For example, I was dealt J10 in the BB. Pre-flop, one opponent limped in and I checked. The flop was AJ10. As I had two pairs, I bet. However, my opponent raised. What should I have done next?

What I did do next was go all-in. Of course, I lost, otherwise I doubt whether I would be posting this message. My opponent had KQ.

Yours, Pete (CyberSmudger)
  • 2 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi CyberSmudger,

With two pair on flop, against a single opponent I'm bet/pushing. It's really rare that villain flops a nuts straight like that, he could be re-raising you with top pair, middle pair, straight draws etc, against which you are always ahead.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey CyberSmudger,

welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board!

In a freeplay standard is to go broke with top pair and J kicker or better hand. Since bottom 2-pair is much stronger hand than TPTK you played well to bet/push this flop. This time opponent unfortunately had flopped the nuts, but next time he will pay you off with Ax or some kind of a draw.

Keep posting hands you are unsure of, it's one of the best ways to improve the game.

Regards,
      burek2000