My evolution at NL BSS super-micro stakes

• 16 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hello world! I decided to create this little corner of mine (and yours of course) to help me become a better player. I am generally kind of chatty so let's get started...

My name is Andrei and I live in Bucharest, Romania. And probably the worst thing about this country (there are a lot of them by the way) is that people earn to little money and because of that they work to little. The smallest sallaries in the EU, so nice...
      I am studying finances. 19 years old.

Also like trading forex, playing pool, snooker ( :f_biggrin: ), chess, or wasting my time at a coffe anywhere.

That should be enough, there isn't anything more astonishing about me to say i guess... So let's get down to business.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I play BSS at NL 1/2 (cents :D ) with a bankroll of about 100$. The main reason why I started this thread is because I am in a medium-sized downswing (10 buy-ins) and I want to know if I am doing the right thing because I don't feel that.

Because the players are so bad (I were surprised how good 10 cents SnG players are ) there are some hands that you don't know how good you played them. Nr1 hand that get's me crazy:

NL 1/2 Shorthanded, 100 blinds
      Unknown limps in early position, 200 blinds stack
      I raise on the button with 88 (not standard, but wanted to raise some money in case of hitting a set, or a better explanation is that I was tired), 4 BB
      Unknown calls.
      Flop is 2 :spade: 2 :heart: 7 :club:
      I bet 3/4 pot.
      Unknown goes almost instantly all in overbetting the pot 32:1
      Can't put him on anything but a bluff with 2 overcards and call.
      He shows 2 :diamond: 6 :diamond: and gets my money.
      Was that a horrible call?

So actually my question is when can you go broke with top pair or overpair?
      Because I see a lot of this crazy all in moves and I'm not convinced it is a pure bluff ( i caught some of these also) or an incredible bad play.

What do you do with top pair if a loose passive player raises you? And what do you do if a tight semi-agressive is kindly raising the minimum or almost to get you to call?

Hope your answer is not "you read the strategy articles again you stupid". Thanks.
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      You think, why the hell did he go all'in first place. To steal the 14BB pot? Risking his whole stack?? Or maybe he hit trips and wants your money.. Just fold and wait till better spot to get your money in. Usually when fish makes a huge oversize bet, he is holding the nuts more often than bluffs.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Hi,

good raise on the button, but i'd make it 4BB + UTG limp = 5BB. You raise because UTG limp is somewhat weak and you're ahead with 88.
      Nice conti bet on dry board, but after an all-in reraise it's a clear fold. 95% of the times the villain will have a 2, let him take that one. That's my opinion thou :f_biggrin:

Oh, and feel free to share with us the technical analysis' indicators you use in FOREX :P
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      My thinking process went like this: He is limping in early position (UTG if i can remember well) so he cannot have 2-something. Worst case scenario he's got a pocket pair. With a big pocket pair, bigger then my 88, he would raise (this is a little faulty i guess) He could still have 77 or overpair but unlikely. The only hand with deuces would be quads.
      After that it's the overbet. Why someone go all in to steal a few blinds? Only explanation is an adrenaline rush to take the pot down with nothing. And to scare me. But if a diamont says it's not that, hmm, i think he has a clue what is he saying. Thank you sm112! :D

About forex, I generally hate indicators, I am trying to trade breakouts from support and resistance. Risk-Reward 1:5,with SL=ATR(24) and buying/selling after breaking the line with more than 0,2*ATR(24). On backtesting is profitable, we'll see in real time... I will probably say along the way how it goes. I would ask you how you trade but we would go to far from the topic. You can tell me on what forex forums are you, we can talk there.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I'm only in local (Lithuanian) forex forums :)
      Not trading real money yet, backtesting everything TA has to offer because it's my master thesis theme ;)

Good luck at the tables! And a friendly advice: at micro stakes people most of the times play straightforward; when they are aggresive, they are not trying to represent a hand - they actually do have a hand.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Em can u give me a link to learn more about FOREX?I tryed the FOREX.com
      but things where a bit frustrating there,although i didnt spend much time there.

Also good luck with ur blog,i think though u could try with a 100$ BR to play NL5 since 20 stacks is good for that limit,i am doing similar thing too and i personally believe that players at NL5 are way worse than NL2,dunno why though.

Good luck

Cheers
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Thank you for your support guys :D . Today I had a very short session (100 hands) but still managed to make more than a buy-in (all in with aces pre-flop). There was a hand which i played badly, even though I won it:

Hero: $1,89

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, K
      MP2 calls $0,02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,12, SB folds, BB calls $0,10, MP2 calls $0,10, CO calls $0,10.

Flop: ($0,49) T , A, 6 (4 players) (two spades)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0,02 (what the hell is this???), CO calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,30, BB folds, MP2 calls $0,28, CO calls $0,28.

Turn: ($1,39) 9 (3 players)
      MP2 bets $0,02, CO calls $0,02, Hero calls $0,02.

River: ($1,45) 2 (3 players) (completing a flush draw on the flop)
      MP2 bets $0,12, CO folds, Hero calls $0,12.
      (felt like i could win this once in 12 times, don't know exactly why)

Final Pot: $1,69

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Kc Kh)
      MP2 shows high card ace with king kicker (Kd Jc)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Kc Kh)

So how was the correct way to play this hand? This was so strange...

MrPavlos, try http://www.babypips.com (absolute must) http://www.informedtrades.com (videos) http://www.forexfactory.com (huge forum). For me it's very important to respect bankroll management, because I really feel it's the only way i can make money on the long run :f_biggrin:
    • adeiush
      adeiush
      Bronze
      I think u played it ok. if u would have lost then i think this is minimum and u still got value from weaker hands. This is super-micro stakes, guys call u with gutshots on the turn for all their stack. I think u would be ahead more than 1/12 there. Mb even 1/6.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Ok, time for today update... By the way, I hope other begginers that are playing at these limits learn something frome here.

Played around 800 hands, with generally bad results: lost with AK twice, once to AQ, another time to 99. Made some bad calls again on draw-heavy boards because I couldn't figure out a strarting hand from my opponent. But I made all the 250bb lost and a few more in 2 hands. Trips vs. crap and a hand that I'm still a little dizzy about where I tripled. Looks like this:

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, T. CO posts a blind of $0,03.
      UTG2 calls $0,02, MP1 calls $0,02, MP2 calls $0,02, MP3 raises to $0,04, CO calls $0,02, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,02, (called because it's a min raise from a very loose player, don't even know if it means something..) UTG2 calls $0,02, MP1 calls $0,02, MP2 calls $0,02.

Flop: ($0,26) 2, 9, T (6 players) (no draw)
      Hero bets $0,20, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0,20, MP3 calls $0,20, CO calls $0,20.

Turn: ($1,06) 4 (4 players) (Comment)
      Hero bets $0,70, MP2 raises to $0,61 (All-In), MP3 calls $0,70, CO raises to $1,40, Hero calls $0,70, MP3 raises to $1,51 (All-In), CO calls $0,11, Hero calls $0,11. - What a carnage...

River: ($6,20) A (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0,02, Hero calls $0,02.

Final Pot: $6,24

Results follow
      Hero shows a pair of tens (Qh Td)
      MP2 shows high card ace with ten kicker (8s 7c)
      MP3 shows high card ace with queen kicker (Qd Jd)
      CO shows high card ace with king kicker (Kh 3h)

Hero wins with a pair of tens (Qh Td)

Anyway, another question for more experienced players ... :D I'm trying to play by the chart but sometimes I am confident that:
      a) there will be callers behind me but not raises. Can I make some sort of future-seeing calls with suited aces or suited high cards? (If I am somewhere near the position I should be in..)
      b) Sometimes I get the impression that I'm playing limit hold'em. That is, 6-7-8 players limp and no-one raises. Is it a good ideea to limp behind them all with hands like K9s J9s or even unsuited or unsuited connectors? Can I use the theory from limit hold'em in this purpose or doesn't deserve the effort?!
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Don't know if the purpose of this discussion was to post my daily results because they are very far for being interesting, but i'll do that also.
      Today I played a lot, about 4-5 hours with short breaks about every hour. I'm 3 stacks happier but made again a stupid mistake that costed me an entire hundred blinds: don't know why but the elephant's crashing so I remembered that I saw one guy playing loose preflop (something like re-raising with Q7s). But of course it wasn't him and he called me with KK (i had TT) after a little speach. I guess it's true when they say "beware of the speach".

Still no answer to my previous post? C'mon :)
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Good afternoon people. Since i last posted i moved to NL4. Interesting limit, because you start to find multitablers, pokerstrategy.com players, still a lot of fish but also something interesting: loose but not very bad players (they may be loose but i find it rather hard to take their money).
      When i started everything felt ok and i made some money, but today it was a total disaster, i lost 20$ before i decided to forget about poker today (2 days ago i made 15$ but i am still far from being happy). I still have the BR to play NL4 but i'll play only 2 tables.

[img]D:\Documents and Settings\UserXP\Desktop\evolution-graph.png[/img]

Day ;Hands;Not reviewed;$ overall;SumBig Blinds;Big Blinds / 100 hands
      6/21/2009;644 ;0 ;$-19.28 ;-482.00 ;-74.84
      6/20/2009;233 ;0 ;$4.95 ;123.75 ;53.11
      6/19/2009;478 ;0 ;$14.21 ;355.25 ;74.32
      6/18/2009;572 ;0 ;$1.46 ;36.50 ; 6.38
      6/17/2009;215 ;0 ;$5.00 ;125.00 ;58.14
      6/16/2009;81 ; 0 ;$1.80 ;45.00 ;55.56
      6/15/2009;559 ;0 ;$6.85 ;342.50 ;61.27
      ;2782 ;0 ;$14.99 ;546.00

Anyway, i really need some help with some hands again... I am looking forward to any suggestions, opinions, whatever you have to say.

1. The super-tilt + anger + boredom + decent hand situation:
      Fish is super loose super agressive 71 0 15 12
      5.2 86 41 49
      Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 :heart: , 6 :heart:( marginally decent)
      2 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 2 :heart: , 6 :spade: , 3 :heart:( 2 players) ( :s_evil: )
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.08, SB raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.40, SB raises to $13.51 (All-In), Hero raises to $4.37 (All-In). - here you can clearly see the tilting but even then i have: 33% flush+ 3*4=12% set + 4*4=16% two pair eventually so was this worth it?

Turn: ($17.96) 4 :diamond:
      River: ($17.96) K :spade:

Final Pot: $17.96

Hero shows a pair of sixes (8h 6h)
      SB shows two pairs, threes and deuces (3d 2d)

SB wins with two pairs, threes and deuces (3d 2d)
      What do you have to say about this hand? Hmm... Let's see another one..
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2. Haha, i'll kill the fish.
      Fish is again super loose and agressive: 70 50 38 31
      1.4 45 36 101
      Preflop: Hero is SB with K :club: , 9 :club: (trap the fish operation)
      CO raises to $0.08, BU folds, Hero calls $0.06, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.20) K :spade: , 2 :heart: , J :heart:( 2 players) (yeeey)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.28) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.28, Hero raises to $0.72, CO raises to $2.83 (All-In), Hero calls $2.11. - i don't have a strong hand but i can't see what the hell he's got

River: ($5.94) 5 :diamond:( 1 players)

Final Pot: $5.94

Hero shows two pairs, kings and fives (Kc 9c)
      CO shows a full-house, deuces full of fives (2d 2c)

CO wins with a full-house, deuces full of fives (2d 2c)

How about this one?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I raise from SB a fish to 4BB with J :heart: 7 :heart: Flop is 2 :diamond: 3 :diamond: 7 :diamond: I bet, he raises i go all in he shows A :diamond: x. Another diamond comes so i lose.

I will have to post the hands that i won also because i don't fell i'm extracting enough money from the other players.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Hello there!
      I was myself playin NL2 for some time but whoaaa it was boring as hell =) i mean okay i was profitable but those 2usd stacks well.. I think with 100usd u can go to NL5, so did i and im at 200$ now looking forward to try NL10 when i reach 250..
      Anyway, i think ud better post hands in the forum for evaluation hands than in ur blog, since there u will get judges opinions how to exactly play the hand..
      Another thing i can highly recommend is watching the videos.. Hasenbratens videos NL5 and NL10 are what really helps my play ;) You will learn when and how you can play some hands not exactly how SHC tells you, you will learn isolation of limper etc..
      Good luck! (starting to think about blog myself, but ill wait till im at NL10=) )
    • En3rGie21
      En3rGie21
      Bronze
      Hi man! I`m from Romania too :P Imi dai si mie id`u de mess .. poate mai vb cate ceva legat de poker..aa si yo as vrea sa`mi fac blog:D
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hello again. Today I am going to change the flavour a little and talk about tournaments. I know that this is supposed to be a cash (don't know if you can say 4cents is "cash" but anyway..) game discussion but i have some questions about tourneys.

Yesterday i played a 1$ Freezeout. Even if I don't play SnG's or even 30/50 man MTTs, I like to play this big freezeouts (hate turbo, hate rebuy/addon). Result after about 5 1/2 hours of play: 3'rd place for 57$ or something like this. But i played really weird. And i am curious what do you think about my play. At the beginning i played clean. Like the lessons here on pokerstrategy. Except for the cases where there were limpers. With 4-5 limpers i would call anything looking better then total crap (especially suited cards): hands like 75s, Q8o, T8o, etc. If I got a good hand I would make the standard raise.

Not that strange until this stage. But when the antes came into play, i started stealing. A lot. No, no, i really started stealing a lot. Basically i stole my way from 9000 to 100.000 as i was getting no playable hands. From 20.000 further i basically was short-stacked all the game. I had for hours like 7-10BB. What I noticed is that the were very few players who were in a different situation, so why should i push? And with what cards? Anyway, if i was on the button and everyone folded i would basically raise with just about anything. And it worked. I would raise 3BB and pick up 1BB+1SB+Ante which is aprox 1 BB. Again and again and again. All this time i had no more than 10BB in my stack. If I were finally called i would generally conti-bet even if it meant risking more then half of my stack.

There was a funny hand where i really pushed stealing to new hights. Blinds 1000/2000 ante 200 had about 20.000 chips i raised on the button to something like 5850. There was a super-shorty and pushed. Had to call 2000 more. I did and showed 42o. Lost but the more important thing is that this hand changed a little the dinamics of the table, players gave me less credit (surprisingly not enough less credit) for my raises. There were about 2 hands i went all in preflop in the early stages, which were coinflips. I had another one with TT to AT. The funniest is my last hand.

I was on the button, i see the delicious blinds, i raise as usual (3 handed). I get Re-raised all in by the chip leader. He did that just a few hands ago also. If i were to win i would be the new chip leader. After a little thinking i went all in with AQo. He had A3o. I guess that the 42o hand helped me here :f_biggrin: . Anyway, flop is crap crap 5 same suit, no one has that suit (spade). He had like 7%. Turn 2, river 4. Say what!?

(id-ul meu de mess e andrei_lint)
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hey again! I'm back after about a week long break from poker. And what a comeback has been.. lost 4 stacks in an hour. My question is:

Does it makes sense to always go broke pre-flop with AK? Because i feel this decision is -EV big time. Hope to get some answer. Thanks.