fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $1, Hero calls $0.75,

FLOP ($2) K:spade: 5:spade: A:heart:

SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50,

TURN ($5) K:spade: 5:spade: A:heart: 2:diamond:

SB bets $3.75, Hero calls $3.75,

RIVER ($12.50) K:spade: 5:spade: A:heart: 2:diamond: 4:club:

SB bets $11.50, Hero folds,

SB wins $11.88

his af is pretty high- 8 but it is only based on few hands so i disregarded it. betting 3streets from this guy seemed pretty strong AK/AA/KK/. is folding ok?
  • 7 replies
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I think having called the turn you cant fold the river based on the assumption you did it for fear of being out kicked and id ignore the straight as if he has hit lucky on the river its just one of those things.

I would of raised the flop here, if he goes over the top you know you can then fold as he likely has you outkicked or has 2 pair etc.

If he isnt as strong as that raising flop will slow him down and let you check behind turn and get to showdown for cheap or possible even stick in a value bet on river if he checks again.

Just calling in postion here you have no idea where you are but you have no reason to fold river
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      without steal/resteal history in blinds battle i'd likely fold to the river bet too.

i also wouldn't raise the flop without some kind of history on his level of postflop aggression, because if he's bluffing i dont expect him to continue his move against a raise, whereas he might double barrel on the turn.

his bet on the river is somewhat interesting. he bet 3/4 flop 3/4 turn and then decided to almost pot the river, which makes me think his range is mostly nuts or air, like a missed FD he double barreled "cheaplyish". i might call to get a feel for his play if he wasnt so nitty, or if i had seen him be very aggro postflop before.
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      I would also raise the flop. I want to protect against some fd-s gutshots or hands like that that make a standard c-bet and want to get information. I think raise flop/fold to a raise is better than call flop call turn and then face ugly spot on river.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      folding river is fine, although I´d likely 3-bet pf or if called, then raise on the flop, because I don´t represent anything and that means he´d likely would shove or blufraise quite light or call down Ax hand
      although against nit likely better liune is just call flop, call turn, folding river
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      if u are going to fold river why are u calling on flop and turn?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Because unless that guy is betting all three streets with 100% of his preflop stealing range, and nobody is really, it's increasingly likely that we're toast.

If you have a read that villain has huge balls and/or decent enough hand reading ability to put you on exactly the marginal river calling hand you have, you can make a stand right there and expect to be good some of the time while sending him the message that you're not buying his bluffs.

I personally doubt that nit would bluff air for 3 streets, whereas he's perfectly capable of 2nd barreling something like a flush draw on the turn.

Hope it helps.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Because unless that guy is betting all three streets with 100% of his preflop stealing range, and nobody is really, it's increasingly likely that we're toast.

If you have a read that villain has huge balls and/or decent enough hand reading ability to put you on exactly the marginal river calling hand you have, you can make a stand right there and expect to be good some of the time while sending him the message that you're not buying his bluffs.

I personally doubt that nit would bluff air for 3 streets, whereas he's perfectly capable of 2nd barreling something like a flush draw on the turn.

Hope it helps.
      +1
      He could fire flop and turn with flushdraws or just air, but when he see that you´re not folding, then he´d likely give up with worse hands