ORC vs SHC

• aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I am approaching the time where I can go up from .25/.50 to .50/1, and so far I am still playing pretty much according the the SHC. I was going through my downloads directory the other day, and found a copy of ORC version 3.0 for FR. Is this a valid item still? I have checked out the ORC and associated material relating to SH in the Gold area for when I switch to that, but initially I am still going to try FR, because the SH stuff is markedly different.

Any reccommendations or suggestions? I am hesitant to use ORC for lower limit stuff, because it often doesn't have the desired affect, and people just call anyway. I guess this is actually good, when they are calling hands they should fold. Let me know what you think.
  • 7 replies
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      You can use the ORC as soon as youre comfortable with the SHC. I started to use it when i switched from 0,5/1 FR to 0,5/1 SH (i used the ORC for SH though, never heard of a version for FR, but there shouldnt be any differences). And because it is based on equity theres no problem with loose players calling, as these are often bad calls.

Also i advice you to move to SH as soon as you have the bankroll and are comfortable with the ORC. Theres is much more fish there.
    • Anakha
      Anakha
      Bronze
      Back in the day (heehee) when they only had microlimits on the beginner tables I actually played ORC and Advanced Preflop on the .05/.10 and .10/.20 tables. I had a rough start and played like a maniac the last two weeks since I needed the bonus $100 dollar to have an adequate bankroll for 0.50/1.00. Felt like I was completely destroying the tables, so I'd say you can easily start playing it for .25/.50 and onward :) . Just study it well.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Whats the ORC exactly?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      ORC = Open Raising Chart

It is mathematical approach about which hands you can raise preflop (WHEN NOBODY ENTERED THE POT BEFORE)!

:)

In the gold section there is also explained how you can handle the ORC when people entered the pot before you!

Best regards,
      Stefan

All in all it is a bit looser then the SHC. That is the problem why you should start with the SHC.

The ORC will bring you into some closer decisions, where experienced is needed to handle them with a long term profit.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yeah, which is why I haven't used it so far. I have a copy of something called ORC version 3.0, which isn't for short handed tables, but for FR. My feeling is, too many people with bad hands would call, which is what you want to happen, except too often at these limits they would actually draw out. I don't know. Anyway, I sometimes open raise with hands that I would normally fold, A9 for instance, when I am late and no-one is in before me.

I will be reading and learning the ORC for SH play as much as possible, because in a short period I will be starting to play that.

BTW Wilm, I don't have an MSN account, but did try to email you, and it bounced back from your mail server. Let me know if there is another way I can contact you.
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      The only way is true e-mail or MSN. My adress is wilm85@hotmail.com

Are u on irc otherwise?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Here is the artikle about the ORC:

http://www.pokerstrategy.org.uk/en/strategy/50/

You need gold status to see it. Of course it fits with FR too because .5/1 and up the limits get more and more aggressiv and so yu would fold too many hands to steal raises. Its not easy to get the whole concept but you will learn it by the time you play more and more.