[NL2-NL10] NL10 AK Raise Check Check Call

• fuzzygoggle
      Accidentally posted this in the wrong place so Ill try again

New to the site.I just played this hand and I know I won a nice amount, but Im just wondering should I have bet on the flop or is it better to take the free cards in general as it worked out in this case.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, A.
      UTG2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.5, 3 folds, UTG2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) 5, Q, J (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.15) 4 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.15) T (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.15, Hero calls $1.15.

Final Pot: $3.45.

Results follow:

UTG2 shows a pair of kings (K K)
      Hero shows a straight, ace high (K A)
      Hero wins with a straight, ace high (K A).

So I guess the question is should I have raised on the flop?
  • 2 replies
    • DaPhunk
      cbet / broke flop.

I don't like the idea I can check down and get bluffed by a weak pair into folding river when that said dude may fold flop to a cbet. You don't always hit.
    • burek2000
      Hey fuzzygoggle,

welcome to the forum.

Best way to play against unknown players and also correct way according to the articles is c-bet flop when opponent checks to you. Reason for this is the fact your opponent can bluff you out of the hand with worse hands on the turn if you show weakness on the flop and/or opponents worse hand on the flop can improve on later streets and become better than yours and the last thing, you can make a better hand fold on the flop, such as low to mid pocket pair(PP has a higher chance to win showdown on the flop than your hand, so if you make him fold it's profitable for you). So, even though you hit and won the hand this time, next time you might not get so lucky and lose money by not c-betting. Shortly, not c-betting against unknown is a leak.

On the flop, c-bet would be more than half of your pot, so just push flop all-in as c-bet.

P.S.: Please remove the results when you post hands on the forum, because they can affect opinion of the people who participate in the discussion of the hand.