Is showing your hand ever a good idea?

• Deckard33
      Deckard33
      Bronze
      I know many people say never give free info but if I've got away with a couple of moves and then hit a monster, standard raise it and don't get called will I get any fold equity back by showing the hand or does it just make you look fishy (which of course I am).
  • 32 replies
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      i use to think if the villain wants to see my hand must pay for that. :f_biggrin:
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      imo you should never show your hand, purely because whenever I get shown a hand I either take a mental note (Ie. Ahhhh, so thats how they play that hand!) or I take a not on the site. Therefore I don't want to give the same information to any of my opponents. Saying that, I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of difference money wise, it's up to you really.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      i always show my bluff to a tilting opponent, then wait for a good hand :f_biggrin:
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      I showed a bluff 5bet-shove with 57s in a blind vs. blind situation once, but only because villain (admittedly a decent LAG) was talking a lot of shit in the chat and so I wanted him to feel pwned. I knew he would take it personally and tilt, plus I had position on him.

Otherwise I rarely ever show because yeah it's too much information for free.
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      I once wrote my hand in chat on one SNG - I wrote I have KK which I of course had and one villain called my all-in with 99. He was completely surprised when I really had KK... :D

But I was playing that SNG for fun. In more serious play I never tend to show my hand...
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Only when I bluffed a tilting villain. Used to do it a lot when I raise a few times in a row when I used to be weak tight and really wanted to establish tight image for FE.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      If the villain wants to see what your playing make him pay for the info on the low limit games, as most player their are just fish and don't take much notice of hands that get shown.

They are just interested in playing their card and don't think any further than that so its just giving the few good player info that they can use.

So let the fishes give u info and make em pay for any info from your self. That way the few good players are easier to read as they will only play good hands against u making your hard decisions that much easier.

The 1 exception is if you hit a royal flush then show it as it doesn't give them much info and give u bragging rights. :s_cool:
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I sometimes show my hands when playing HU to establish a loose or tight image, depending on my opponent. If I 3bet him twice with a better hand and show it, he'll be less inclined to call my bluff 3bets. Showing bluffs can have the reverse effect, making him more call-happy. Generally, if I think I can tilt my opponent, I show a bluff and laugh in the chat.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Today was the first time i actually showed a hand. I was winding up some guy who kept wanting to know what I had after i rebought to fullstack after doubling through him. I Then I hit FH and stacked him. He starts chatting about how I'm a lucky fucker and I'm like "lol" to myself.

Anyway, two hands later I'm big blind and I'm freeplay with 27o. random flop and he bets saying "I can tell you've got lucky again". I decide to float him for fun and it works. I show and he becomes completely mindfucked making some even weirder moves than before even though it was a tiny freeplay pot.

I don't think anyone would recommend what I did though :)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      showing the bluff knowing someone is about to tilt can be a pretty good idea.

however I have auto muck going on , better to multitable :)
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      i play aggressive and if i get dealt a few monsters in short time ill show one to show im not just being a stack bully but useually by the time ive gotten a few someone thinks im full of crap and calls down my all in and i get payed off :)

in general i rarely show hands though and as someone said earlier in HU play it can be very strategic to show some uncalled hands to set your image
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Advertisement.

I have many times raised UTG with 83o, 3 barrelled bluffed, and when the opponent folds on the river show him my cards.

Makes people think you're loose.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I have many times raised UTG with 83o, 3 barrelled bluffed, and when the opponent folds on the river show him my cards.

And is that thinking wrong? I mean you raise from UTG many times with 83o :P
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof

Many times being twice/thrice.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      Originally posted by Jackalof

Many times being twice/thrice.
      thats twice/thrice to many....
    • D4NNYP
      D4NNYP
      Bronze
      I like showing my 72o when in the BB and its folded round to me......ok maybe i did it once :f_biggrin:
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by D4NNYP
      I like showing my 72o when in the BB and its folded round to me......ok maybe i did it once :f_biggrin:
      I never do that. It sends out a message to your opponents: look, I had a bad hand and would've folded to any raise. It's like an invitation to raise you more often, and considering how often you get good hands it's best not to provoke people to raise you more.
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Platinum
      I show AA, KK, QQ type hands when I raise and everyone folds me in situations where I am bullying the table in order to prevent people from getting antsy.

I also show these hands quite often when the blinds get high in SnGs.

The logic is that i give away constructively no information, because of course it's quite obvious that I would raise with that hand. It's also possible that weaker players will get the impression (false) that I am not pushing them around but actually getting hands since people tend to remember what they see (and not all those times when i don't show my hand). Also, sometimes people quite irrationally, don't attack your blinds/give you more respect when they think you are running hot.

All these are very good reasons in my opinion to show your hand. I picked up this habit after watching a video of watching Matt Matros play a sattelite.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Originally posted by D4NNYP
      I never do that. It sends out a message to your opponents: look, I had a bad hand and would've folded to any raise. It's like an invitation to raise you more often, and considering how often you get good hands it's best not to provoke people to raise you more.
      That's BS cause showing 72o in the BB when everybody folded to you doesn't mean you have 72o everytime you're in the BB.