I played today my first 5 SnGs with buy in 8 USD 20 seats

here are my results:
      1) 8$ place 4
      2) 24$ place 3
      3) 24$ place 3
      4) 24$ place 3
      5) 40$ place 2

My strategy and question:

I read basic articles and print out early stage, middle stage starting hands, push-fold charts and steal blind charts.

At first table i played acordingly to charts i printed out. but i had to ask you some questions.

Are those charst correct if there is only 20 seated SnG?? Are they good for tournaments with 1000 players for example?

Then i asked myself what to do on final table when i am in late stage ---> less then 14BB. If final table is still ful do i have to still use late phase chart?

So i tried to combine mine minds and mind PS wrote:)

So my main question is. If i play 20seat SnG are charts usefull for first table or when is the correct time to stop looking at charts?

There are starting hand charts from basic section but in silver section there is again pre-flop theory. Now i ask you. Is that chart from basic section enaugh. What is the difference beetween charts and words in silver setion. I have the feelig that the silver section is not 100% compatible with charts on basic one. Is there a difference only in playing marginal hands or it is the difference in playing strong and very strong hands too?

For example: In basic chart is written: If u raise and u are re-raised u go all in with AA, KK, QQ and AK.

In silver chart it is written that you should avoid investing all your chips with AK. Why is that difference?

Thats all for now and thank you very much for you replies.
  • 6 replies
    • Sbask
      Sbask
      Bronze
      Ive had some similar doubts. I concluded that the first articles give you a basis so you get a basic strategy to be a winning player. The more advanced articles I think should be used to introduce some modifications on your machine-like playing style from the basic articles.

In relation to the size of the tournament I think strategy does change, probably you will have to play some more speculative hands like suited connectors so you have an option to survive longer as a bigger tournamente requires. In general youll need to risk a bit more, so on a fishy table id go all in with AK as the chart suggests if the tournament is big enough, I think that play would pay off on the long run.

Well, thats what ive learned around here, I hope an expert can explain a bit more...

Good luck and see you at the tables!
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Whether it is a 9/10, 20 or larger tourney the SHC is useful...It's designed for single table tournaments, but following it will be profitable for larger versions... when it comes to MTTs the SHC and SNG background is a great starting point and foundation, but as time goes on experience and understanding of the different situations becomes very useful... For the late stages ICM ICM ICM... practice on the trainer and post hands... ICM can be used for SNGs as well as MTTs, but the true value comes when you have a strong feel for ranges and equity... Hope this helps :f_eek:
    • Sbask
      Sbask
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NickParkes
      strong feel for ranges and equity
      I totally agree with this concept. Experience is so valuable for getting a sense of value for hands and situations. Concentrate on this idea! Good luck!
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for your replies.

Will see if SHC will work in future:) )
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      If you get to late stages in a MTT you will almost always have about 15 BB. It's push or fold in almost all of them. if you don't push and just raise, your opponents will push anyway in almost all situations. so it's a bit different but the payout is a lot bigger and it's worth it :p
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Im playing the 18 man, and im using the shc, and its working quite good for me :)

I just add some modifications, completing SB with A2s+, K2s+ and 56s+.
      On the button, you can limp with this hands or raise depending how many limpers are behind