[NL2-NL10] set of 5s , on a board with A

• undercover82
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+2 ($63.05)
      MP1 ($7.20)
      MP2 ($12.60)
      MP3 ($14.65)
      CO ($25.30)
      Button ($18.80)
      SB ($26.35)
      BB ($13.20)
      UTG ($4.83)
      Hero ($4.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5:diamond: , 5:heart: . SB posts a blind of $0.10.
      UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, UTG+2 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) T:heart: , 5:club: , A:diamond: [color:#0000FF](6 players)[/color]
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($1.50) J:spade: [color:#0000FF](6 players)[/color]
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $1.5[/color], UTG+2 calls $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

River: ($6) 4:club: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      Hero calls $4.40 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $2.65, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $13.05

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
      Hero has 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
      UTG+2 has Kh Qd (straight, ace high).
      Outcome: UTG+2 wins $13.05. [/color]

Well the first question is why did i limp in from UTG? Well... i love pocket pairs and try to limp them whenever possible. This situation looks like a dream for me : 6 people on the hand , i get a set on the flop and a rainbow ,plus an A is there. So i decide to check it down with the intention to reraise. I was sure that in this situation , out of the 6 people at least one would bet out with an Ace. Anyway that didnt happen and the next card is a J which makes the straight possible. So i decide to bet on the turn , and i was pretty sure i was still ahead. Nevertheless i went all in on the river and the guy indeed had a straight. (Bastard was even mocking me afterwards).
      Did i play this right , or should i have rather bet on the flop ?i thought i d get more value by slowplaying it some. I lost this one because the guy was a huge lucker , but is it the right way overall in such a situation ?
  • 3 replies
    • Alaton
      Well you lost because you gave freecards away.
      I prefer an other line here, because we can really be pretty sure he has an Ace.
      So betting out on the flop doesn't scare him away most of the times.
      If he reraise we get what we wanted and if he calls we check to him on the turn (or check behind if IP) and will almost for sure collect another bet from him on the river and maybe his stack if he calls our reraise (he often will, because he will get really good odds).

Limping in in UTG+1 is a real big mistake with the Shortstack, you lose a lot of value in the long run through playing this way, so please just check/fold them there!!
      You will get raised way to often and can't call here because of your short stack.

Some math:
      Assume all players behind us Raise in 7% of the case, then the propability of someone out of the 8 players behind us Raising is:
      = ~ 0.5

Meaning we nearly have a probability of anyone behind us raising of 50% !!
      And of course we would have to throw our hand away as a result and lose a lot of value in the progress.
    • undercover82
      I see. I believed that it is ok to slowplay this one because the only chance for a straight is a gutshot. What should my bet size on the flop be?
    • Alaton
      I would bet between $0.75 and 1$, as you don't want to discourage a potential raiser and like getting called