[NL20-NL50] NL25 blind battle

• VytenisN
      VytenisN
      Bronze
      Hello,
      I reviewed yesterday's hands and found interesting one. Am i spewing money here ?
      My image is LAG'y 36/36 over 39 hands.
      Oponent 24/21 over 29 hands. Dont have lot of information about him.
      First of all, preflop: i don't think i can fold here, cos i should be ahead of his opening range. Raise should create too large pot, so i decided to call IP. Even before calling, i had a plan to float here, because i thought that he is c-beting with all his range.
      Then a great flop to float because of FD and OESD and a king.
      Now i think that biggest leak is on the river. He didn't give up on turn, so float didn't worked. If he calles with mid pair, he will call again.
      Do you also think i should give up on river ? Do you think i shouldn't float here?
      All comments are welcome.
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

Button ($19.49)
      SB ($25)
      Hero (BB) ($25)
      UTG ($18.74)
      MP ($22.28)
      CO ($19.01)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 8
      4 folds, SB bets $1, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2) 3, 10, K (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($5) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3

River: ($11) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7, SB calls $7

Total pot: $25 | Rake: $1.25
  • 4 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Preflop:
      I think a fold would be better than a call. That's because A8o is likely to be dominated or if not it's a bluffcatcher.
      If you had A8s you could call since your playability is much better - you'll be able to float more since you'll hit backdoor flushdraws or even flushdraws.

Another factor is, that your image is loose - you don't want to have a weak hand with which you need to bluff often if your opponents think you will be having weak hands most of the time and bluff a lot.

As played:
      Flop:
      I think it's a relatively good board to float since you can represent a load of draws if they got there.
      But you should keep in mind that the K is well in your opponents range, as is the T of course - and he might have some redraws which he's going to call one barrel with.
      So you should to be prepared to fire 2 barrels to get him off his medium strength hands.

Turn:
      The 9 completes the OESD, a good card to represent. But i'd bet bigger, you want to represent the straight - if you had it you'd want to get value, so bet $4.

River:
      A blank. You expected your opponent to call a wide range at the turn - now is the time to get him off of most of his weak hands - you got the straight, so bet big to get value out of it.
      The pot would be $13 if you bet $4 at the turn, a $9 bet should get him off of anything worse than TP, and he might even fold Kx.

Overall:
      Don't make the mistake to level yourself in betting small when you bluff because you think something like "he'll see i bet small so he has to be suspicious since i wouldn't do that with a bluff - he'll fold more because my weak bet looks even stronger".
      Your opponent won't think that way. And even if he does he'll see the good odds he's getting and call anyway.
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      I wouldn`t try moves like this on NL25. Floating flop is ok but I would give up river for sure.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Wow Bierbaer, nice explanation! That's what a player needs to take his game up a level. I've been waiting for sth like that for a long time. Thanks man - really good work!
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Thx, you're welcome :) .