[NL2-NL10] pp A on a suited board

• undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($4.40)
      MP1 ($15.90)
      MP2 ($4.40)
      MP3 ($25.65)
      CO ($11.61)
      Button ($35.75)
      SB ($42.70)
      Hero ($25)
      UTG ($23.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , A:spade: . SB posts a blind of $0.10.
      [color:#666666]5 folds[/color], CO calls $0.25, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], SB (poster) completes, [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $0.75[/color], CO calls $0.75, SB folds.

Flop: ($2.25) 4:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 3:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $2.3[/color], CO calls $2.30.

Turn: ($6.85) K:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $9[/color], CO calls $11.61 (All-In).

River: ($27.46) A:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

Final Pot: $27.46

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
      Hero has Ac As (three of a kind, aces).
      CO has 7h 7s (three of a kind, sevens).
      Outcome: Hero wins $27.46. [/color]

I am concerned on if i played this one correctly. I am against a medium stack
      and the board is potentially dangerous. So i make some slight overbets , and put him all in at the turn. Was this the right play , or i needed a more cautious approach ? As the results show , he had a set , and i got pretty lucky on the river. I think set over set are very rare.

On another note : By mixing some shortstack and big stack tables i have found a good balance to play my best at both strategies. I was feeling very confined by the very few hands im allowed to play at SSS , so i was being a bit too loose for the strat and losing value. Now i play it as tight as i should , because i can play more hands at the big stack =]
  • 3 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      RAISE MORE PREFLOP ;)
      You have to work on this, you allow your opponents to get into the pot cheaply and you are out of position in a small pot with Aces, not a good spot for us.
      So $1.50 is really the minimum you should raise here, to make up for your positional disadvantage.
      Again your opponent doesn't have a big stack and on this flop you have to protect as hard as you can.
      Bet Flop, All-In Turn is definitely the right play here against such a middle-stack player.
      (A bigger raise preflop lets you get All-In much easier!)

I'm glad to hear that the mix of BSS and SSS works for you.
      It also helps to learn the advantages and disadvantages of both styles if you have the direct comparision and helps both playing styles.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      yea i fixed that shortly after that hand, i started raising properly , perhaps in some times a bit heavier than properly too , hoping in some cases that someone makes a heavy reraise that allows me for an all-in preflop. My biggest fear is that i lose my stack with pp A against a lower pocket pair who gets his set on the flop (like it pretty much happened in this case). How do i save myself from that? Especially like now where he makes a passive play and tries to make me put my money on the pot by my self.
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Well when being bigstacked, an important part of protecting against getting stacked by a set is to control the potsize, meaning we play mostly passive on the turn and call a riverbet.(Particulary on drawless flops, when there is no need to protect your hand) But it depends a lot on your opponents, and on the low limits you will often lose a little value by underplaying overpairs with all the fishy opponents.

So if your opponent is deepstacked like you in the hand you can actually check the turn and see what happens, even though you give a freecard for a flushdraw, you control the potsize and won't get stacked too often.
      Reads of your opponents are very important in the progress of judging wether to bet the turn again or to play passiv there.